David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

Bravo Dave.

finished with a big drop punt, straight down the line.

Reactions: 8 users
Formed an impenetrable trio with his two more decorated mates. At their peak together through 17-18 they were as disciplined, desperate and bold with the footy as any defensive group ever seen. Will never buy a beer in Richmond again.

Reactions: 2 users
We better get used to this boys. We will lose some legends in the next few years starting from now.

I remember his first game against Hawthorn in a fosters cup game.
He played as a forward and kicked 2 goals out of 5 and we got slapped.
He was a bright light then and turned into a supreme footballer.
Well respected with in and outside the club. His leadership will be missed within the club. The day he told Higgins to pull his head in just proved how respected he was.
He should be very happy with his career.
Well done David

Reactions: 3 users
A warrior and culture driver. Legend of the club. What a shame he doesn't get to be carried off in front of the fans.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I'd like to also thank Dave for not having to be dragged out the door, kicking and screaming in selfishness as we so often see in the AFL.
Let's hope it paves the way for others when they know...... the gig is up!

Reactions: 4 users
Great Tiger and can only support everything already said

Any idea what his plans are from here - such as lower league footy?
Whatever - thanks for the memories Dave
Agree with everything posted. Great Tiger.

Can see him as Captain Coach of Tatyoon, kicking 100 goals a year, winning multiple flags.

Reactions: 1 users
He's been such a rock for our team in defence for years. Allows players like Rance and Grimes to play a more attacking role during our best years.

154 games and 3 flags is an amazing achievement so a big thank you from this Tiger, and certainly wish him well for his future endeavors.

Thank you Dave. A 3 time premiership Tiger warrier.

Such a shame there won't be a crowd at the G to send you off and thank you for your great career.

Very sad to hear time called on an incredible career.

We don't win flags without blokes like Dave Astbury, low maintenance, consistent giant killer, that drove culture , and played within his limitations

You will never be forgotten

Reactions: 10 users
David wanted to walk away last year.
For him to stay and try to push for a 3rd in a row, he always had the club first.
The 3 amgios is only 2 now
Big V and Grimes

Sad news , underrated part of our success

Reactions: 1 users
I was at the SCG when he did his knee for the second time. Thought I'd never see him play again.

What a champion bloke and a champion player.

Can't count the number of times I've shouted at the telly "Down the line, Dave".

Great career Dave, well done.

Also worth adding that Astbury started the greatest piece of play in RFC history and the beginning of our dynasty. Around 33sec left in 3rd quarter of 2017 QF vs Geelong.

OMG that just gave my chills all down my spine watching that again. You forget how good our tackling was in the 1st half of that game. The look of surprise on some of those Geelong players faces as we pulverised them was amazing to see again.

Reactions: 7 users
OMG that just gave my chills all down my spine watching that again. You forget how good our tackling was in the 1st half of that game. The look of surprise on some of those Geelong players faces as we pulverised them was amazing to see again.
at 3QT of this game, the tiger army rose, the hairs on my body rose, the energy we created, I swear it felt like a shock wave bursting out of the Triple MCG outwards over Melbourne.... I .turrned to my nephew and said......we are going to win the flag.

The only triple Premiership full back to survive a stingray attack. Tough as.
Full forwards didn’t stand a chance.
Irreplaceable.

Congratulations Dave on an ripping career. Toughed it out through a horror injury run, particularly early. The unsung hero in defence, allowing Rance to his stuff whilst Dave took care of the monsters.

Thank you David Astbury, forever a Tiger Champion.

Reactions: 8 users