David Hicks [Split from Saddam thread] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Hicks [Split from Saddam thread]

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
struggletown3121 said:
Anduril said:
If he was a US soldier there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. He would've been tried and dealt with promptly.
Just like the US citizen(s) caught in Afganistan, charged, tried and in a US jail.

Its hypothetical, but i'd like an answer please.

Would you be lobbying for a quicker trial?

If you mean the US soldier had been kept in detention in the same conditions in G Bay without a trial for 5 years then yes I'd be very concerned. However it would never have happened to a US citizen.

The quicker the trial the more effective the punishment.

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
right or wrong 5 years incarceration is still to little.undrull,rosyand panthera, everyday dayand normal australian's couldn't give a *smile*.hicks took up arms for the most neanthederal and basic religion's.end of story.however and i will get personal now,it is only the soft *smile* media,lawyers and lefty no brain morons that keep up the charade that it is about making hicksy a martyr .if one of my 3 kids grew up to do what the newest millonaire in australia did i would disown IT. to throw away everything one was taught for personal glory fighting for a regime that thier mother would of had the right's of a doormat,is so wrong .so when you sprout your "fair trial,western law,habeus corpus"i think of the country and western world my daughters are so lucky to have been born into. remember and aknowledge tis wasn't the world/lifesyle or LAW that your martyr was fighting for.and that is the entire point.not your precious LAW . THE LAW IS AN ASS
"

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
ssstone said:
right or wrong 5 years incarceration is still to little.undrull,rosyand panthera, everyday dayand normal australian's couldn't give a sh!t.hicks took up arms for the most neanthederal and basic religion's.end of story.however and i will get personal now,it is only the soft *smile* media,lawyers and lefty no brain morons that keep up the charade that it is about making hicksy a martyr .if one of my 3 kids grew up to do what the newest millonaire in australia did i would disown IT. to throw away everything one was taught for personal glory fighting for a regime that thier mother would of had the right's of a doormat,is so wrong .so when you sprout your "fair trial,western law,habeus corpus"i think of the country and western world my daughters are so lucky to have been born into. remember and aknowledge tis wasn't the world/lifesyle or LAW that your martyr was fighting for.and that is the entire point.not your precious LAW . THE LAW IS AN ASS
"

Che`?

Curtiger

Tiger Champion
Oct 26, 2004
Moreland, Melbourne
ssstone said:
right or wrong 5 years incarceration is still to little.undrull,rosyand panthera, everyday dayand normal australian's couldn't give a sh!t.hicks took up arms for the most neanthederal and basic religion's.end of story.however and i will get personal now,it is only the soft *smile* media,lawyers and lefty no brain morons that keep up the charade that it is about making hicksy a martyr .if one of my 3 kids grew up to do what the newest millonaire in australia did i would disown IT. to throw away everything one was taught for personal glory fighting for a regime that thier mother would of had the right's of a doormat,is so wrong .so when you sprout your "fair trial,western law,habeus corpus"i think of the country and western world my daughters are so lucky to have been born into. remember and aknowledge tis wasn't the world/lifesyle or LAW that your martyr was fighting for.and that is the entire point.not your precious LAW . THE LAW IS AN ASS
"
*Insert anarchy here*.

Stripes

Come on Tiges...LIFT!!!
Oct 19, 2006
I saw David Hick's father in the street today (not in Adelaide). Right or wrong, I'm glad he has his son back home.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Stripes said:
I saw David Hick's father in the street today (not in Adelaide). Right or wrong, I'm glad he has his son back home.

Bugger. The people you bump into when you aint got your gun. :)

Stripes

Come on Tiges...LIFT!!!
Oct 19, 2006
poppa x said:
Stripes said:

Loaded. ;) (just kidding!)

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
One thing I love is now Hicks is home, all the Aust based crying about G Bay has gone quiet. Is it immoral to have no trial for five years for a PERSON, or only when that person is one of us?

The Hicks lobby did a good job of humanizing a terrorist....

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Tiger74 said:
One thing I love is now Hicks is home, all the Aust based crying about G Bay has gone quiet. Is it immoral to have no trial for five years for a PERSON, or only when that person is one of us?

People don't live in a vacuum. Of course Australians will be more concerned when it is an Australian being held in such conditions.

Perhaps, but legitimising torture falls to the cheersquad of the other camp.

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
mld said:
Tiger74 said:

People don't live in a vacuum. Of course Australians will be more concerned when it is an Australian being held in such conditions.

An Australian?

I'd contend he gave that right up when he became the cowardly soldier of fortune who became a terrorist who'd kill an Australian for a handful of dollars. :vomit

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
mld said:
Tiger74 said:

Perhaps, but legitimising torture falls to the cheersquad of the other camp.

On the Australian focus, agree, but I get the feeling many in the "Free Hicks" movement were on a "bash Howard" bandwagon, and with Hicks now here they have moved onto something else. My personal view is they delay was less than ideal, but I have had mates spend years in remand waiting for their trial so.... Also I will be handing out how to vote cards for the ALP later this year, so I am not a Howard Sympathizer either.

On the issue of torture, I actually have no issue with it. It is a war scene that this has come from, and war is ugly. I know it has been sanitized a lot for media consumption, but the reality is very bad stuff happens in war. If torturing helped catch terrorists or stop another action, good.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
struggletown3121 said:
An Australian?

I'd contend he gave that right up when he became the cowardly soldier of fortune who became a terrorist who'd kill an Australian for a handful of dollars. :vomit

Agree :clap

Tiger74 said:
On the Australian focus, agree, but I get the feeling many in the "Free Hicks" movement were on a "bash Howard" bandwagon, and with Hicks now here they have moved onto something else. My personal view is they delay was less than ideal, but I have had mates spend years in remand waiting for their trial so.... Also I will be handing out how to vote cards for the ALP later this year, so I am not a Howard Sympathizer either.

On the issue of torture, I actually have no issue with it. It is a war scene that this has come from, and war is ugly. I know it has been sanitized a lot for media consumption, but the reality is very bad stuff happens in war. If torturing helped catch terrorists or stop another action, good.

Agree also :clap

Well, that saved me a lot of typing! 8)

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The whole Hicks thing is strange. On the face of it, he deserved a long sentence, but he also deserved a trial, everyone deserves a trial. Its like they went from one extreme to the other, from being left to rot in a hard prison, to home and a couple of years. It also seemed to happen pretty quickliy after Rumsfelds visit to Aus, maybe JH called in a favour, who knows.

I was never 'free hicks', I was 'give hicks a trial, if he''s guilty, don't free hicks'

I don't agree with how long it took for the trial, but I also don't agree with the sentence, but I'm not a judge I suppose. That Jihad jack bloke seems to have got off light too, can't work that one out at all. The man hung with Osama, it was proven.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
The whole Hicks thing is strange. On the face of it, he deserved a long sentence, but he also deserved a trial, everyone deserves a trial. Its like they went from one extreme to the other, from being left to rot in a hard prison, to home and a couple of years. It also seemed to happen pretty quickliy after Rumsfelds visit to Aus, maybe JH called in a favour, who knows.

I was never 'free hicks', I was 'give hicks a trial, if he''s guilty, don't free hicks'

I don't agree with how long it took for the trial, but I also don't agree with the sentence, but I'm not a judge I suppose. That Jihad jack bloke seems to have got off light too, can't work that one out at all. The man hung with Osama, it was proven.

This was always going to happen sadly, its the nature of the US plea-bargin process. We have it a little here, but its psycho in the US. Personally wanted to see him do 10-20, but he would have to fight the charges to cop that. The attorneys wanted their guilty plea more than jail time, and traded it away. Stuff tlike this is why I hate lawyers :mad:

Tiger Attack

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2007
poppa x said:
Stripes said:

Exactly what has Terrry Hicks done wrong that would earn him this comment?

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
Tiger Attack said:
poppa x said:
Stripes said:

Exactly what has Terrry Hicks done wrong that would earn him this comment?

Agree TA - bloody disgusting comment :mad:

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
For the people on here who have slagged off Gitmo :mad::

Detaining men at Guantanamo Bay was absolutely wrong, declared the anti-Bushies. Obama agreed, two days into his presidency signing an executive order to close down Gitmo. Last week we learned that Abdullah Ghulam Rasoul, the Taliban's new top operations officer in southern Afghanistan, was a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner released to the Afghan Government in December 2007. Now known as Mullah Abdullah Zakir, he's commanding areas where the violence has been ramped up in recent months.

In January it was reported that another former inmate at Guantanamo Bay, Said Ali al-Shihri, had emerged as deputy leader of the al-Qa'ida network in Yemen.

According to US officials, al-Shihri, allegedly involved in the bombing of the US embassy in Sana'a last year, and released from Gitmo in 2007, was handed over to the Saudi Government and entered a Saudi rehabilitation program for former jihadists. Nice idea. Didn't work. It turns out you can count on the Taliban and al-Qa'ida to spot the real talent.

There's not a whiff of branch stacking, no insertion of party hacks when they choose their jihadist leaders. Instead, it's all about merit. That sees the likes of Rasoul and al-Shihri taking up a leadership role to impose a warped Islamist ideology on large swaths of the globe.

Gitmo was not the perfect solution. These terrorists were released under the watch of the Bush administration because it's not easy identifying terrorists. But closing down Gitmo won't make identifying terrorists any easier.

Indeed, that dilemma has just been made harder by Obama's promise to try to return more detainees to their home countries.

Quaint notions of rehabilitation programs no doubt stroke liberal sensibilities. Yemen, the home of the single biggest group among the 250 Gitmo detainees has, with Western backing, set up Saudi-like "edification programs based on moderation to shun extremism and terrorism".

Another nice idea. But al-Shihri's promotion up the al-Qa'ida ladder shows that releasing many of these men back to Yemen, the ancestral home of Osama bin Laden, undercuts not only the national security of the US but the safety of every citizen in every country targeted by terrorists. And that list grows longer by the day.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25237330-7583,00.html?from=public_rss

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Liverpool said:
For the people on here who have slagged off Gitmo :mad::

Detaining men at Guantanamo Bay was absolutely wrong, declared the anti-Bushies. Obama agreed, two days into his presidency signing an executive order to close down Gitmo. Last week we learned that Abdullah Ghulam Rasoul, the Taliban's new top operations officer in southern Afghanistan, was a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner released to the Afghan Government in December 2007. Now known as Mullah Abdullah Zakir, he's commanding areas where the violence has been ramped up in recent months.

In January it was reported that another former inmate at Guantanamo Bay, Said Ali al-Shihri, had emerged as deputy leader of the al-Qa'ida network in Yemen.

According to US officials, al-Shihri, allegedly involved in the bombing of the US embassy in Sana'a last year, and released from Gitmo in 2007, was handed over to the Saudi Government and entered a Saudi rehabilitation program for former jihadists. Nice idea. Didn't work. It turns out you can count on the Taliban and al-Qa'ida to spot the real talent.

There's not a whiff of branch stacking, no insertion of party hacks when they choose their jihadist leaders. Instead, it's all about merit. That sees the likes of Rasoul and al-Shihri taking up a leadership role to impose a warped Islamist ideology on large swaths of the globe.

Gitmo was not the perfect solution. These terrorists were released under the watch of the Bush administration because it's not easy identifying terrorists. But closing down Gitmo won't make identifying terrorists any easier.

Indeed, that dilemma has just been made harder by Obama's promise to try to return more detainees to their home countries.

Quaint notions of rehabilitation programs no doubt stroke liberal sensibilities. Yemen, the home of the single biggest group among the 250 Gitmo detainees has, with Western backing, set up Saudi-like "edification programs based on moderation to shun extremism and terrorism".

Another nice idea. But al-Shihri's promotion up the al-Qa'ida ladder shows that releasing many of these men back to Yemen, the ancestral home of Osama bin Laden, undercuts not only the national security of the US but the safety of every citizen in every country targeted by terrorists. And that list grows longer by the day.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25237330-7583,00.html?from=public_rss
the lot of them should have got a pice of lead between the eyes to solve the problem. as an australian i think that goes double for hicks.

if we go to war we should go all out i just dont understand why dogooders insist we fight with one hand tied behind our back just to please their sensibilities.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Re: Saddam sentenced to the old noose and drop

Hey Pesto! said:
The really sick thing about this whole debate is that you and yr mates think you have won some sort of personal victory and that u can dance on Hicks' grave.

Why don't you realise that its not about Hicks, its not about America, its not about Howard; It's about fundamental human rights.

Its about Liverpool and its about SSStone, and me and Anduril and all the rest.

Its' about humanity you clowns.
stuff humanity the bastard should have been shot. and if the lily llivered do gooders dont have the stomach for it give me the gun.
as someone said if it was any other war any other time the prick would have been shot as a traitor. if thats not deep enough for some tough.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Gypsy__Jazz said:
Liverpool, I always knew that you were a subscriber to extreme right wing ideals.

I never knew that you condoned torture... but your views on the David Hicks issue have proved that.

[Deleted]
now thats of the chain. nothing extreme at all about liverpools comments. i would have thought it was a thing called justice and the right thing to do. but thats right most of the lefties dont believe in justice or anyone taking responsibility for their actions.

we send troops to war zones in all sorts of capacities. yet here we have a fellow australian clearly prepared to shoot his fellow countryman the bastard deserves a slow death.