Draft for a rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft for a rebuild

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What if Shorty gets a free agency offer that would net us a first round or end of first pick? Leaing aside that the league would screw us on compo, would you Brando him?
You were a 1.01 to ask that.

If it’s a first yep, gotta go. Frees up money and another pick for a mid.

Short, Rioli, McIntosh, Pickett, Castagna, Graham, Broad. That’s your middle class that has value.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
You were a 1.01 to ask that.

If it’s a first yep, gotta go. Frees up money and another pick for a mid.

Short, Rioli, McIntosh, Pickett, Castagna, Graham, Broad. That’s your middle class that has value.
Well, he's our only free agent who might get a sufficient offer, given our others are Cotch, Jack, Sheds, Lambo, Nyuon, Miller and Parker.

End of first? Second, if it's pick 25 or better?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Not sure how you can be so confident of that. I mean you may be right but unless you have inside information I can’t see how you can be so emphatic.

Dusty is a complex character; it seems so from the outside anyway. Anything could happen.
Dusty is a loyal team member who has put club and team mates interests first, often before his own.
Some of you seem to think he has a hidden agenda which is to get to Sydney, and that his actions following the Carlton game are simply part of a plan to do so.
I am calling bull on that.

Reactions: 3 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Well, he's our only free agent who might get a sufficient offer, given our others are Cotch, Jack, Sheds, Lambo, Nyuon, Miller and Parker.

I think for an end of first round compensation you should do it.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Agree. But unfortunately a lot of people living in the 70’s don’t understand the rationale of doing such and get caught up in the sentimentality of it all. Bizarre when you consider he’ll still be regarded as a Richmond immortal anyway. Anyway…
It’s not about whether he will be a club immortal. Of course he will be.
Nor is it about his own legacy as a one club plsyer.

As one of our greatest ever, he has always made a significant impact in terms of helping our new players settle in, and in showing them by example, how to develop and reach their own potential.
Assuming he is physically as capable as he was, he will lead on the field and continue to provide the sort of example we are used to seeing, this giving a great advantage to young players both on and off the field. This is particularly important after last years haul.

He will win us games while doing so, and in a period when our best are finishing up, the importance of that contribution should not be under estimated.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I reckon it's irelevant because Short won't want to leave and he won't get the kind of offer to change his mind. Unless we lowball him like we did Brando.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s not about whether he will be a club immortal. Of course he will be.
Nor is it about his own legacy as a one club plsyer.

As one of our greatest ever, he has always made a significant impact in terms of helping our new players settle in, and in showing them by example, how to develop and reach their own potential.
Assuming he is physically as capable as he was, he will lead on the field and continue to provide the sort of example we are used to seeing, this giving a great advantage to young players both on and off the field. This is particularly important after last years haul.

He will win us games while doing so, and in a period when our best are finishing up, the importance of that contribution should not be under estimated.
Goes completely against all current day strategic list management in bigger and more professional leagues than the AFL where holding on to a declining player near the end of their career when you’re swimming around at the bottom end of the ladder, seeking to re build, and they’re unlikely to help you much yet you have a team prepared to pay overs on their value. Fundamental, 101 strategic list management to make those sort of transactions. Accelerates your re build.

And whose to say a younger gun in their prime eg mid 20’s or whatever doesn’t bring just the same if not more in terms of leadership ? And whilst building a better and more competitive team in the process ?

Kids hate losing. You don’t build a performance focussed team around them, they’ll be more inclined to struggle and want to leave nowadays.

And finally, there’s more than Dustin Martin at our club to provide leadership, education, examples to younger players. A bunch of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I reckon it's irelevant because Short won't want to leave and he won't get the kind of offer to change his mind. Unless we lowball him like we did Brando.
If Zac Williams can attract 700…. and for 700 you let him walk.

But if I’m the Gold Coast Suns, I pay Short overs to get him.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Goes completely against all current day strategic list management in bigger and more professional leagues than the AFL where holding on to a declining player near the end of their career when you’re swimming around at the bottom end of the ladder, seeking to re build, and they’re unlikely to help you much yet you have a team prepared to pay overs on their value. Fundamental, 101 strategic list management to make those sort of transactions. Accelerates your re build.

And whose to say a younger gun in their prime eg mid 20’s or whatever doesn’t bring just the same if not more in terms of leadership ? And whilst building a better and more competitive team in the process ?

Kids hate losing. You don’t build a performance focussed team around them, they’ll be more inclined to struggle and want to leave nowadays.

And finally, there’s more than Dustin Martin at our club to provide leadership, education, examples to younger players. A bunch of them.
Spot on.

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
No question we need a rebuild.

If Dimma can't or won't do it then he goes too.

We need a new 5 year plan. 120k members and 2 flags. Success is planned. No plan No success.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I think if dusty wanted a trade to Sydney and a couple of first round picks were offered it’d be a no brainer. I love him and would miss him but I’d prefer to be pragmatic about it. The lids trade really benefited us and gave an extra pick that was a bit of a tipping point into our premiership era. We could potentially rebuild our midfield and grab a decent key forward in one draft. Yes. But given Dusty’s loyalty I don’t think he’d do it.

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I think if dusty wanted a trade to Sydney and a couple of first round picks were offered it’d be a no brainer. I love him and would miss him but I’d prefer to be pragmatic about it. The lids trade really benefited us and gave an extra pick that was a bit of a tipping point into our premiership era. We could potentially rebuild our midfield and grab a decent key forward in one draft. Yes. But given Dusty’s loyalty I don’t think he’d do it.

IF Dusty wanted to go to Sin City then I’d be all for the picks.

He’s given us everything. Huge win-win.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
No question we need a rebuild.

If Dimma can't or won't do it then he goes too.

We need a new 5 year plan. 120k members and 2 flags. Success is planned. No plan No success.

Rebuild that midfield and it’ll come sooner that some think TT.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If Zac Williams can attract 700…. and for 700 you let him walk.

But if I’m the Gold Coast Suns, I pay Short overs to get him.
Yeah but Williams got (I think it was 6 x 900) because they thought he could be a mid.

I guess if someone's going to offer Shorty big bucks it'd be the Suns. He seems pretty loyal but if it's seven figures of difference...

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

You talk about a young uncontracted player in his mid 20’s coming in and then about kids losing and leaving for greener pastures.
And also about a bunch of players filling in and providing more leadership.

Dusty is 30 and might be expected to play on well beyond his current contract. You underestimate him.
You may link this to practise overseas but 5 more years of Dusty with his play and the collateral advantages looks a far better bet.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I
You talk about a young uncontracted player in his mid 20’s coming in and then about kids losing and leaving for greener pastures.
And also about a bunch of players filling in and providing more leadership.

Dusty is 30 and might be expected to play on well beyond his current contract. You underestimate him.
You may link this to practise overseas but 5 more years of Dusty with his play and the collateral advantages looks a far better bet.
Not sure what your first two sentences mean ?

Dusty is 30 and he’s got 2 years on his contract. He’ll play on “well past” 32 will he ? Ok.

I take it you didn’t like the Brett Deledio deal then either.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

If we finish in the bottom 10, and we can get a first (and end up with 2 in the top 10) then yes. Other than that, I wouldn't be doing it personally.

I suspect you will have a different view as you aren't a Short fan.