Draft for a rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft for a rebuild

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I think if dusty wanted a trade to Sydney and a couple of first round picks were offered it’d be a no brainer. I love him and would miss him but I’d prefer to be pragmatic about it. The lids trade really benefited us and gave an extra pick that was a bit of a tipping point into our premiership era. We could potentially rebuild our midfield and grab a decent key forward in one draft. Yes. But given Dusty’s loyalty I don’t think he’d do it.
Spot on.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Short’s a tough one. In terms of any re building he’s only just turned 26. Still got plenty of miles left on the odometer.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If we finish in the bottom 10, and we can get a first (and end up with 2 in the top 10) then yes. Other than that, I wouldn't be doing it personally.

I suspect you will have a different view as you aren't a Short fan.
I'm far from the h8er I was. I'd do it for a first or end of first, but as said, don't think it'll happen.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Half back flankers are a dime a dozen. You don’t knock back first rounders for them.

Reactions: 4 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I

Not sure what your first two sentences mean ?

Dusty is 30 and he’s got 2 years on his contract. He’ll play on “well past” 32 will he ? Ok.

I take it you didn’t like the Brett Deledio deal then either.
Well that’s odd because I didn’t understand why you had included those references either.
In regard to the transfer of Brett Deledio I was always very much in favour.
But comparing his transfer with a suggestion that Dusty might be traded to another club seems to underline just how little you rate Dusty.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well that’s odd because I didn’t understand why you had included those references either.
In regard to the transfer of Brett Deledio I was always very much in favour.
But comparing his transfer with a suggestion that Dusty might be traded to another club seems to underline just how little you rate Dusty.
You’re very confused. All you did with those first two sentences was regurgitate what I said and nothing else.

So you’re in favour of trading a 29 year old Deledio in what was a poor performing side at the end of 2016, but not a 31 year old Dusty if we have a bad 2022. Ok.

I guess you at least get the concept which is good, coz clubs are heading (finally) down this path more and more now and one club players will be less as a result. That will then take a quantum leap if the next AFLPA-AFL negotiations include the significant pay rises that the players are after and if it comes at the expense of clubs getting stronger contractual rights - something Gale is strongly in favour of incidentally.

”How little I rate Dusty”. That was funny. :ROFLMAO: I guess I better sell the $3000 worth of memorabilia I have of him then.

Last edited:

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I mentioned your first two references because they seemed inconsistent.
You come back with a crack about confusion, which reflects more of your own arrogance than anything else.
(Your belief in your own perfection never ceases to amaze).
As for your comparison of Brett’s departure with that you propose for Dusty, I was seeking to draw attention to one of the values I believe Dusty brings to the club, which I understand was not part of Brett’s make up.
There are certainly other values, which imo set him apart from all others previously contracted during recent years.
I don’t challenge but rather support what you describe as occurring in other sports, and in our own game.
IMO example Dusty, is the exception to that rule.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Half back flankers are a dime a dozen. You don’t knock back first rounders for them.
And supposedly midfielders are too,yet we need a couple.
Decent half backs or midfielders are easier to get than good KP types ,but Short is a quality HB, they are still harder to get.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
You’re very confused. All you did with those first two sentences was regurgitate what I said and nothing else.

So you’re in favour of trading a 29 year old Deledio in what was a poor performing side at the end of 2016, but not a 31 year old Dusty if we have a bad 2022. Ok.

I guess you at least get the concept which is good, coz clubs are heading (finally) down this path more and more now and one club players will be less as a result. That will then take a quantum leap if the next AFLPA-AFL negotiations include the significant pay rises that the players are after and if it comes at the expense of clubs getting stronger contractual rights - something Gale is strongly in favour of incidentally.

”How little I rate Dusty”. That was funny. :ROFLMAO: I guess I better sell the $3000 worth of memorabilia I have of him then.
I think the difference was Lids was nearly finished ,Dusty isn't ,plus Dusty is a 3 times premiership,3 norm smiths ,a Brownlow winner,a LEGEND of TIGERLAND,Lids wasn't .

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I mentioned your first two references because they seemed inconsistent.
You come back with a crack about confusion, which reflects more of your own arrogance than anything else.
(Your belief in your own perfection never ceases to amaze).
As for your comparison of Brett’s departure with that you propose for Dusty, I was seeking to draw attention to one of the values I believe Dusty brings to the club, which I understand was not part of Brett’s make up.
There are certainly other values, which imo set him apart from all others previously contracted during recent years.
I don’t challenge but rather support what you describe as occurring in other sports, and in our own game.
IMO example Dusty, is the exception to that rule.
Inconsistent ? Not sure what’s inconsistent about a fundamental list management strategy that’s used everywhere - including by Richmond - and termed a “ no brainer” concept when the right circumstances present themselves ? I take it back. Maybe you don’t actually understand the concept.

Note: your cutting up whenever anyone on PRE simply presents a contemporary thought that goes against the grain of your old school and fanboi outlook never ceases to amaze me either.

Last edited:

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
We should look at pinching a couple of good players from the Gold Coast maybe ?

1649123580200.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Inconsistent ? Not sure what’s inconsistent about a fundamental list management strategy that’s used everywhere - including by Richmond - and termed a “ no brainer” concept when the right circumstances present themselves ? I take it back. Maybe you don’t actually understand the concept.

Note: your cutting up whenever anyone on PRE presents a contemporary thought that goes against the grain of your old school and fanboi outlook never ceases to amaze me either.
What have I cut up against.
I support the “contemporary thought” you ascribe to yourself, as I have set out above.
For instance over last the trade period I suggested for example that we look at trading Jack.
Dima said after the GWS game that Dusty owed us nothing.
In fact the balance in Dusty’s case is clearly in the clubs favour, with more to follow and imo incalculable loss, if he goes elsewhere.
On balance he is absolutely a keeper although I would have to agree that there might come an offer, which deserved a second look. Taranto, a top 5 and a future 1st round pick maybe.
Sydney FC is being talked about. He should under no circumstances ever be released to
Sydney.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What have I cut up against.
I support the “contemporary thought” you ascribe to yourself, as I have set out above.
For instance over last the trade period I suggested for example that we look at trading Jack.
Dima said after the GWS game that Dusty owed us nothing.
In fact the balance in Dusty’s case is clearly in the clubs favour, with more to follow and imo incalculable loss, if he goes elsewhere.
On balance he is absolutely a keeper although I would have to agree that there might come an offer, which deserved a second look. Taranto, a top 5 and a future 1st round pick maybe.
Sydney FC is being talked about. He should under no circumstances ever be released to
Sydney.
Well, its probably all moot anyway where D. Martin is concerned. I doubt any actual trade proposition will eventuate anyway.

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I see a numver of NGA players mentioned in an article for Melb, Bombers Collingwood etc Then of course GWS, Syd, Gold Coast and Brisi always seem to have some in the wings through that program- may just be me but never ever see out mob getting any talent through NGA or Father/Son. Very frustrating. Did we just get given a dud zone??

Reactions: 1 user

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I see a numver of NGA players mentioned in an article for Melb, Bombers Collingwood etc Then of course GWS, Syd, Gold Coast and Brisi always seem to have some in the wings through that program- may just be me but never ever see out mob getting any talent through NGA or Father/Son. Very frustrating. Did we just get given a dud zone??
Ashtyn Atkinson from the Murray Bushrangers is probably our best option from the NGA this year ,but yes we didn't get very good zones

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
The journey continues. Today further showed me that the draft class of 2021 will kick start our future. They will all play plenty of AFL footy.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The journey continues. Today further showed me that the draft class of 2021 will kick start our future. They will all play plenty of AFL footy.
I’ll watch it later, but how did Banks go ? (Of all of them, he was my most uncertain of our picks.)