Draft for a rebuild | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft for a rebuild

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We have been up since 2013. Missed finals twice since that time but nailed 3 flags. No shame is re-setting and going again.

I have always been the believer that you need to get 50 games into your future stars.

Sonsie, Rioli JNR, Dow, Stack, Gibcus etc.

Not saying we tip out all the experience because that’s not the way to go. But the ones with a future need games quick.

If it means another top 10 draft pick so be it.

Reactions: 7 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We have been up since 2013. Missed finals twice since that time but nailed 3 flags. No shame is re-setting and going again.

I have always been the believer that you need to get 50 games into your future stars.

Not saying we tip out all the experience because that’s not the way to go. But the ones with a future need games quick.

Think we’ll end up with another top 10 Joking Faces. Question is, can or will, we get another…..?

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

Using our own rebuild as a template, it took three drafts to build our core group of the 2017 premiership team (2006, 2007 and 2009). From those 3 drafts we ended up with Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin, Rance, Martin and Astbury.

We then needed to get around 100-150 games into them. Unfortunately, last year was probably the first year of a three year rebuild plus however long we need to get the necessary experience into those players.

Long (and likely painful) road ahead.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Unfortunately Redmond we don’t have the currency to get another one.
The only currency we have who is probably on the way out is Dusty.
I still feel Sydney is a strong possibility so in this instance we milk it for all its worth and get high pick and a top player

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I still feel Sydney is a strong possibility so in this instance we milk it for all its worth and get high pick and a top player
Dusty will not play for another club again. It’s Richmond or retirement.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Agree. But unfortunately a lot of people living in the 70’s don’t understand the rationale of doing such and get caught up in the sentimentality of it all. Bizarre when you consider he’ll still be regarded as a Richmond immortal anyway. Anyway…

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Dusty will not play for another club again. It’s Richmond or retirement.
Not sure how you can be so confident of that. I mean you may be right but unless you have inside information I can’t see how you can be so emphatic.

Dusty is a complex character; it seems so from the outside anyway. Anything could happen.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Not Jakes fault he's a passionate Tiger.

It's not his fault they keep picking him.

Reactions: 3 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Balta, Bolton, Gibcus the headliners. Those are the pillars, everything else needs to be built around that. Agree with not tipping out experience, but the more draft picks in the top 10 and then in the top 30 we have in the better. There are some loyal B-Grade servants who shouldn't be above being flipped for draft picks imo.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
This is bravery. Required bravery. We simply must.
What if Shorty gets a free agency offer that would net us a first round or end of first pick? Leaing aside that the league would screw us on compo, would you Brando him?