Draft picks 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft picks 2019

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Geelong got a A for drafting.
Despite picking up a player who was more likely a rookie pick.

Reactions: 1 user

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Really liked what I heard on the Tiger Talk podcast last week.

Something about how over a long period of time the drafting in U.S. sports has shown that people overestimate their ability to judge a talent’s value, so it’s better not to over-indulge in on-the-day trading for specific talents.

The difference between talents really isn’t that large, so when a Gold Coast or a Carlton are paying to jump ahead and pick someone they rate significantly higher, over the long run they’ll end up losing with this method.

Meanwhile, Richmond play it smart and reduce our chance of hurting ourselves from our own natural biases.

No doubt we’re a club that is well aware of the shortcomings of human perception.

Rather than bother reading a single AFL media article on the draft, the real story of the draft to me is how the #1 team of the past few years is attempting to stay ahead of the curve.
I posted this in the Martyn thread but probably sits better here

i am really happy that we have learned another solid lesson in 2019. Of course there is the glaring resilience in response to adversity lesson, but within this is also the demonstrated ‘if this young fella can go this far while not being supported properly , what will he be able to achieve in a supported, professional system‘ lesson. We have applied this to our draft picks this year, particularly with the academy blokes we robbed. I recon Brizzy and the Saints just don’t have the elite development systems we do and saw deficiencies rather than valuing talent and seeing opportunity. The most illustrative pick for me is That of Martyn. i am no draft guru and the vision seems to show a tough inside mid With skills. Nothing flashy, nothing really stands out to me. But why take him? There were a number still on the board who went through the private school Victorian sausage factory. The resilience and determination to consistently gather 30+ disposals and high contested numbers in a team getting flogged every game says alot. We again went to the draft with a mutated rating system. Time will tell how this will go and I was initially pissed off we didn’t grab the names on the phantom draft lists I was into but we are playing from a different book now with a different agenda. It is pretty exciting to see our club continually evolve and back its own systems without second guessing. It’s the revolution!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst we constantly hear about needing to draft the next Cotchin/Martin thats not always the case

We do have some kids that have extremely high upside in RCD/Stack/Hugo/Balta etc and 1-2-3 of these could be these players in 2-3 years time

But also with Rance,Riewoldt,Cotchin coming towards the end along with Edwards,Houli,Astbury we are going to have some serious $$$ to look for the next free agents that could be the Dusty/Cotchin replacements

There is going to be alot of talented kids wanting to come home from GC & GWS

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Fair enough assessment. Hindsight will obviously tell us more but i thought for a highlight package Martyn and Ralphsmith's looked pretty underwhelming. The good news is we can back our team in these days with a fair amount of confidence.

My guess is Matt Doerre has only seen highlight packages too. Thankfully clubs do a little bit more research than that.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The trade doesn't really make sense then if we weren't interested in Bianco. The only way I could see this coming about is if Tigers were planning on taking Bianco but agreed with Collingwood not to for a sweetener which ended in the 2nd round draft pick swap (St Kilda's position next year I understand).
I read it that we weren't fussed over who we picked & also don't rate St Kilda's chances in '20.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I thought there was a sort of gentlemans agreement to not draft Acadamy players,
Especially the long term development boys?
I'd only enter that agreement if they agree to stay away from the kids in the open Draft. This system is an absolute rort that only a handful of Clubs gain from every yr.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
My guess is Matt Doerre has only seen highlight packages too. Thankfully clubs do a little bit more research than that.

Neil Balme:
What we seen on YouTube had us excited. Then Greg Miller said the kid was going to be a star. That’s why we picked him.

• Haha

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Considering Emma Murray's ability to get our boys in the right headspace, we just draft guys who ooze 'Richmond Man' skills and let her and our development go to work on them.

I prefer our Grimes and Reiwoldt and hopefully in future our Dow and our Nyoun too!

I'm excited about Cumberland and Nyoun. Dow and Ralphsmith are underage and should still have some growth in them.

Hugo's dad was an infamous hunter of both the ball and the man so I'm hoping Hugo can discover the same traits otherwise he could be staring down the barrel of having a thread as long as BEllis...

Imagine if our haul pays off down the track, how great will it be to sit back and laugh at all those supposed experts like Chris Doerre and Cal Twomey who have both rubbished our selections despite all our kids having very high ceilings.

Looking forward to see who we will have training with us over summer also seeing Balta and Nyoun form some combination down back... delicious!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
For the record I would've went this way.

Robertson
Bianco
Ralphsmith
O'Neil
Hilder.

I'm not saying we got a dud crop or it's a disaster, I just would've gone another way. But at this point in the club's journey, only a fool would carry on, got to back the blokes who have got us this far, to these lofty heights we couldn't dream of five years ago. And you can see a plan and type we are going after.

Let the chefs pick the ingredients, we get to enjoy the meal, nothing more.

Where at a stage where we can turn turds into Guns.
Our selectors are on the magic carpet.
Anything they touch becomes Gold.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
I wonder if the fact we're a destination club, and players tend to move more easily these days, allows us to take riskier picks. If we see a hole in our list coming up soon we can always go the trade/FA/RFA route to fill that with the knowledge we'd appeal to many players
Good post. I can see why you're called Baloo and not Baloney. Yes, we'll cherry pick proven players when required.