Draft picks 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft picks 2019

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Geelong got a A for drafting.
Despite picking up a player who was more likely a rookie pick.

Wells thinks his *smile* dosent stink.
People forget the duds he has picked
Tennace
Menzel
Smedlts
Thurlow
Lang
Buzza :rotfl1

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Smedts was standout bad but even he got a chance at another club. Not too bad if they're the worst of the worst. Not surprised Buzza has been snapped up.

There a couple of others too.
He has torched at least 8 first rounders.
He didn't pick Scarlett and ablett.
He fluked Enright & Corey.
Johnson and bartel were delisted materail early on.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Robertson and bianco look classy in their highlights packages but I can see why we overlooked them. We put a premium on what a player can do without the ball. We look at run, intensity, pressure, repeat efforts. Full court press. There's a chapter in stronger and bolder called position over possession. Lambert never got picked in a draft but is one of our most important to how we play. Most would have picked Menzel over Castagna.

Outstanding logic. Undeniable. That’s why my toys haven’t even remotely come out of the cot.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Wells thinks his **** dosent stink.
People forget the duds he has picked
Tennace
Menzel
Smedlts
Thurlow
Lang
Buzza :rotfl1

Menzel was a pretty good player four knee recos ago. I remember him taking Buddy to the cleaner playing wing.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The scribes can rank us any way they wish but the reality is that the club has clearly drafted on what they believe these players can become. Only the future will show how successful we have been.
We have the luxury of not needing any of these players to play next year. Virtually no other club is in that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Popular draft prospects seem to become popular because of how often they get the ball and how pretty they look when distributing the ball.

Many seem to assume you’ll win more games if you could just get the ball a bit more and execute a bit better.

Meanwhile, teams are better than ever at defending and reducing the quality of your disposal, and they’ll only get better at reducing the quality of your disposal. So how are you going to win by recruiting for better ball skills?

Play frenetically, accept imperfect ball movement, and plan around imperfect ball movement so you can move towards goal faster than their defensive systems can slow you and force a turnover.

Even the best kick in the world will have a certain radius of error for every 40m kick. It’s a messy game. But most recruiters are solving the problem of turnovers causing most scoring opportunities by recruiting superior talent with superior skills...

Instead of fighting the turnover game, we play it as a turnover game.

You’ve got 36 athletes with 360 degree freedom on an oval. That environment is always going to be ideal for causing turnovers. Perfect kicking into space will always be a losing philosophy now that most teams are a well-oiled, defensive machine.

Reactions: 8 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
So the rookie draft has morphed into the “relisted” draft with 17 of the 33 picks being delisted players. Also 3 recycled players. So just 13 genuine rookies Were drafted.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I’m amazed by our rookie list. Marlion and Baker are Premiership players, Stack polled votes in the Rising Star award, Marbs played 10 senior games, and Eggs made his senior debut. Aarts is the only genuine rookie on the list.

Which explains the young kids picked up in this draft. They are basically this year’s real rookies.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
So the rookie draft has morphed into the “relisted” draft with 17 of the 33 picks being delisted players. Also 3 recycled players. So just 13 genuine rookies Were drafted.
Most clubs want to commit to players long term. The rookie list doesn’t work any more because players have to be discarded and relisted after three years.

Initially, the rookie list was designed for a couple of younger emergency players. It has been repurposed too many times. The primary list should just be longer.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Most clubs want to commit to players long term. The rookie list doesn’t work any more because players have to be discarded and relisted after three years.

Initially, the rookie list was designed for a couple of younger emergency players. It has been repurposed too many times. The primary list should just be longer.
Yeah, it’s all a bit circular. Decades ago lists were 50+ then slowly got cut down but now with the rookie players lists are what, 45? So if we just had larger lists after a short time clubs would say “we need a list where we can add untried young players” and then a rookie list would be reintroduced. And on it goes....

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
So is our list completed now? I've read a few articles which talk nothing about us using the supplimentary selection process.

I had thought we'd use it to bring Sam Murray onto the list, assume he makes it through preseason training. But the articles haven't discussed RFC as a
club that is in a position to do this. The list had 6-7 clubs on it, no Tigers. Melbourne has space for 2 for example.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, it’s all a bit circular. Decades ago lists were 50+ then slowly got cut down but now with the rookie players lists are what, 45? So if we just had larger lists after a short time clubs would say “we need a list where we can add untried young players” and then a rookie list would be reintroduced. And on it goes....

Yeah, you are right.

The interesting thing is that I expected Baker, Chol, Stack and maybe even Chol to be promoted onto the main list. Maybe not all of them but at least one or two.

But why would you do this? You may as well leave them there and pick earlier. Promote them and you are picking the leftovers. It’s nice when you can pick your rookies in the 40s.

I suppose if the media ever figure this out they will start bleating about how the reigning Premiers have rorted the system. Hopefully, they remember the reigning Premiers bit in their articles.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
So is our list completed now? I've read a few articles which talk nothing about us using the supplimentary selection process.

I had thought we'd use it to bring Sam Murray onto the list, assume he makes it through preseason training. But the articles haven't discussed RFC as a
club that is in a position to do this. The list had 6-7 clubs on it, no Tigers. Melbourne has space for 2 for example.

I may be wrong but I think they have had to upgrade Eggy from a Category B rookie to a Category A rookie. This fills the list. I don’t know, I’m just guessing. On the RFC website, Matt Clarke suggests we are done.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Attended an AFLQ gig today and heard an interesting explaination of tigers taking the lions academy boys.

The two we took were top 3 talent in their academy, but lions have 14 mids on the list, 15 after taking the WA kid.

So we treated the lions academy like our orchard. While the lions filled list needs with running backs.

They speak of tigers as The Best at everything and AFLQs perspective is Academys are to produce AFL talent, not players for clubs. Hence they feel chuffed that The Best would frank the quality of their programs.

Noah Cumberland has been doing a stone masons apprenticeship since he was 16 and has worked long heavy days then driven 2 hours to train and play. Its been physically very tough for him to get to draft day.

This kid will have no sense of entitlement and no old school tie. Plus hell be able to build mrs hardwick the water feature she deserves.

Getting paid to train instead of hump rocks will polish him up.

Im pretty excited about young Noah

Remarkably cunning work by clarke and Co to analyse oppo academy talent against oppo list profile and work it like a sparkly yellow quartz seam

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Heard on the grapevine that the Bris academy boys are both considered pure mids by industry boffins. Scoop should be happy

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Heard on the grapevine that the Bris academy boys are both considered pure minds by industry boffins. Scoop should be happy

Will Martyn in particular looks like he could be very dangerous outside as well. Quite impressed actually. Clearly at the state team level they weren't getting the inside midfield duties that other more fancied players were getting.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Will Martyn in particular looks like he could be very dangerous outside as well. Quite impressed actually. Clearly at the state team level they weren't getting the inside midfield duties that other more fancied players were getting.

Its a good point. Ive seen a few pure mids flounder in pockets and on flanks at carnivals.

Its one the reasons the really good recruiting depts can leave us scratching our heads. Theyve watched these kids very closely for 3 years by draft day and see sooooo much more than the national champs