Draft picks 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft picks 2019

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
As the norm. Collingwood have killed it when comes to drafting.
Rated A by a *smile* at the AFL
Outstanding by Buckenera
The AGE says Collingwood considering they had very late picks found 2 beauties.

but us, we rated c after bringing in not 2 but 5 new kids
Buckernea reckons our kids need alot of development.
The Age even forgot we were involved in the draft

once again the hate towards us is there for everyone to see.

i wouldn’t know talent, but im pretty sure if you draft 5 kids under pick 60, you bound to at least find one that is a beauty.

my pick is Micky Martin

Reactions: 4 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
As the norm. Collingwood have killed it when comes to drafting.
Rated A by a *smile* at the AFL
Outstanding by Buckenera
The AGE says Collingwood considering they had very late picks found 2 beauties.

but us, we rated c after bringing in not 2 but 5 new kids
Buckernea reckons our kids need alot of development.
The Age even forgot we were involved in the draft

once again the hate towards us is there for everyone to see.

i wouldn’t know talent, but im pretty sure if you draft 5 kids under pick 60, you bound to at least find one that is a beauty.

my pick is Micky Martin
I wouldn't doubt Bucky, he's the only 1 that has Lobb as an A Gradrer & Vlastuin as a C grader.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
It seems as though we have done quite well in the draft. I am sure all the newbies realise tat they know next to nothing about real footy and the hard work on a steep learning curve begins. Good luck to each and every one of them and hope they have a long and successful career at the Tigers

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
All these draft review articles work by a formula, which is largely:

When did the pick and how many?
Did they fill list needs?
Were the players selected rated above or below the pick prior to the draft?

This is quite amusing as most journo go by industry scuttlebutt which suggest who is interested in what player and do phantom drafts based off that rather than a kids talent.

Which makes the comparison to phantom drafts hilarious when clubs deliberately obfuscate to ensure their cards are close to their chest. However they're paid to do a job and they're not all Emma whatshernames, so you expect uninformed drivel.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
We are going to need to find replacement mids for Cotchin and Martin sooner rather than later.
Mssrs Rowell and Anderson will come across at just the right time!

I also have a strong feeling Tom Green will come across at some point

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Robertson and bianco look classy in their highlights packages but I can see why we overlooked them. We put a premium on what a player can do without the ball. We look at run, intensity, pressure, repeat efforts. Full court press. There's a chapter in stronger and bolder called position over possession. Lambert never got picked in a draft but is one of our most important to how we play. Most would have picked Menzel over Castagna.
agree with this, and no problem with the picks. happy with how the club recruits.
but there is a counterargument to pick on what has been delivered, not potential.
And that someone like Robertson, who gets so much of the ball, clearances, tackles etc and plays as a fearless leader, that he would also be the most capable on playing to position and defensive efforts.
Not a knock on Dow but Robertson has the runs on the board and proven capable.
He seemed the right pick.
perhaps it's list balance and he is too similar to Ross and Graham? who knows.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Exactly. When listening to our recruiters talk about what we do all it means is that our rankings are different to the phantoms. The way it was explained is that we have a ranking and players get crossed off when they get picked. We didn't have a deliberate strategy of picking academy kids we simply had those players next in our rankings so we bid. So we ranked both of the Brisbane kids higher than Bianco (as an example). It's no more complicated than that.
We will always rate our picks highly post draft because we always pick the highest rated player on our rankings list
I guess the only cavaet on that is we probably wanted one tall at least

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
agree with this, and no problem with the picks. happy with how the club recruits.
but there is a counterargument to pick on what has been delivered, not potential.
And that someone like Robertson, who gets so much of the ball, clearances, tackles etc and plays as a fearless leader, that he would also be the most capable on playing to position and defensive efforts.
Not a knock on Dow but Robertson has the runs on the board and proven capable.
He seemed the right pick.
perhaps it's list balance and he is too similar to Ross and Graham? who knows.
There's a few factors, IMO. Scope being the main one - Robertson seen as more developed, Dow with greater improvement to come. Robertson's kicking concerned many clubs. I think Dow's hands are better.

Similarity to a few already on the list possibly another factor. Robertson would be behind Graham, Ross and RCD for the inside bull role, not to mention our established mids.

And there's been talk of go-home factor. Why pick a kid to play seconds for two years and leave.

We back our men. They've earned it.

Reactions: 6 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Heard on the grapevine that the Bris academy boys are both considered pure mids by industry boffins. Scoop should be happy

In no way shape or form could Cumberland be considered a mid. Averaging 14 touches a game you can’t project into a mid.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In no way shape or form could Cumberland be considered a mid. Averaging 14 touches a game you can’t project into a mid.

My mail says The Lions considered him a long term mid?

'The highlight was a 26-possession game including 13 contested possessions against Dandenong, when playing more of a midfield role.'

I also thought Clarke in his wrap said he'll start forward and push up?

I could be wrong.

Purely from memory, sheds was recruited as a skinny flanker with low possession counts?

Its possible (im speculating) that The Lions wanted him to NOT be a mid due to list needs, and were trying to make him something he isn't.

My source had watched pretty much every game he's played at every level since he was 16.

which conflicts with the bio on RFC which says his 18th year was his first in the elite pathway. I'm pretty sure this is wrong?

Ive never laid eyes on anything hes ever done. haven't even watched his reel.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Robertson's kicking concerned many clubs. I think Dow's hands are better.

Theres simply no longer any place at Tigerland for blokes who can't hit the target

If you're under 190, there's Possibly even no longer any place if you cant open up the MCG like a grass surgeon.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Hard to know. He did get 26 disposals, 13 contested and 9 clearances in the game he played predominantly mid. He has a very high percentage of contested ball across all his games so has potential. Only kicked 5 goals, 3 in one game, so doesn't seem to be a forward. Just not sure what the plan is with Cumberland.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

No way shape or form? Well a couple of lions academy coaches might beg to differ. I wouldn't have a clue myself.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Blokes who aren’t mids in junior ranks don’t become full time mids.

The lad has heaps of tools to work with but he won’t become a full time mid.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
that's my surprise at the whole draft picks - all potential but without regular performance in the juniors.
very speculative based on scope to improve.

Pick the kid who plays as a mid in the juniors, the one who has been consistently the best
He may have a lower ceiling but already starts higher!
Dow vs Robertson was the anti-higgins pick.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
We back our men. They've earned it.

Totally. Happy to prognosticate here on PRE, and robustly discuss the finer points.
but no tears or meltdown.
Our recruiting blokes are doing bloody good job

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Totally. Happy to prognosticate here on PRE, and robustly discuss the finer points.
I agree. The recruiters have to stand by their work and decisions on who is best for the club. We on the other hand are just able to watch the players progress and criticise or praise as they progress. We have the easy job

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

And that's the key. I reckon there has been a general tone of "that's interesting" around this years crop were as in the past it would have been panic stations and cry's of "butchered". The club has the supporter bases trust, it's an amazing turnaround in five years.

And can someone confirm that the pick swap we did with Collingwood is the rights to St Kilda's second round pick in 2020 for our second rounder? I haven't been able to find the details of the trade. That's my one lingering question.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We have the Saints’ 2nd Rounder for 2020.

Ok that makes much more sense. Two picks inside 30 for next year already. Nice.

Edit: The second rounder we traded to Collingwood was tied to Port Adelaide. Will be little difference between the two, this entire Bianco thing is odd.

Double edit, it’s ours we traded Not tied to Port.

Last edited: