Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dusty has played 5 games so far this year, averaging around 20 disposals and 1.2 goals a game.

Not bad for a bloke who is as rusty as all hell, coming off a sig injury, struggling mentally maybe and looks to be not at peak match fitness.

If he plays the next 11 games at that level - would you select him? Well I would.
If he played say 20 games in 2023 at that level - would you select him? Yes I would.

If the squad we have can get us to finals, Dusty then provides us with a weapon that will help us win finals. He can’t do everything all the time - he did that in 2017.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't agree. I think he's just a bit unfit from the layoff. If he wants it, he's got 3 or 4 years left at if not his full peak, not far off.

Im guessing, obviously, but i reckon he's lost 1-2% of desire. Hes learnt from hard experience, there are more important things than footy.

Im only just grasping this myself,

And its very confronting.

Reactions: 2 users
I've said for two years he is on the decline. He has climbed Everest with us. We adore him, but father time waits for no man.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you lose that ability when you're constantly knackered. He's just MILES off the pace. If he wasn't Dusty, he'd be back in the Ressies to get fit.

Understand the point but exceptions can always be made for those rare “undroppable” players such as Dusty ……. oh yeah …. and George

Reactions: 1 user
People need to face reality, we will never see the 2017 version of dusty again, or even the 2018-2020 version. Combination of father time and motivation the main reasons. The desire is just not there anymore.

Dont get me wrong any version of dusty makes us a better side, and will always have that x factor, but people need to temper expectations that he is well and truly on the other side of the mountain.

Dont think I can put dusty in the same category as ageless mids like Mundy, Pendlebury and Boak who just keep going well into their 30s and not dropping their level.

Reactions: 1 users
Rusty Dusty? Not buying. Full preseason and played the last 4. Is out there in body but not in mind and spirit. Head is in nowhere land.

Rusty Dusty? Not buying. Full preseason and played the last 4. Is out there in body but not in mind and spirit. Head is in nowhere land.
Doubt it as he was the first to go and question the flog after that non-50 free after the game. If he wanted to leave us, he wouldn't have bothered asking and just go through the motions of going back to the rooms.

Sheesh!!!

We went within a bees wick of pulling off an incredible draw on Sydney’s dung hill, with biased umpiring decisions. No other way to look at it in hindsight.

Superb performances from young guns Gibcus and Ralph-Smith and senior statesmen Shedda and Cotch.

With Balta, Pickett and big Tommy on the sidelines temporarily now is not the time for losing faith.

Dusty is understandably still nowhere fully “match-fit” but one thing I’ve learned over the years is to never write off a champion…. and he is an out-and-out champion.

Doubt it as he was the first to go and question the flog after that non-50 free after the game. If he wanted to leave us, he wouldn't have bothered asking and just go through the motions of going back to the rooms.
I think he’s a bit slower at the moment and it’s made him less miraculous.
Graeme said he saw dusty doing weights and was surprised.
Maybe he’s gotta drop a weights session

Clearly below his best, looks a bit larger and slower at the moment. Has a lot to get over and you can't expect him to be back at his normal level quickly. Also, a bit older so harder to come back.

Give Dustin time, rare talent, will be back.

DS

I'm ready to swap him for Tom Green. I love him but he hasn't been Dusty since 2020 and will never be Dusty again. A freak of footballing nature who was ours in his prime. I totally agree with Dimma on this one. Let him go and be happy. He deserves nothing less.

• Dislike
i actually thought Dusty was pretty involved last night. he seemed animated and up for it.
but like almost everyone else went missing at the two minute mark of the 3rd Q