Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Isn't he still on 1.2 million a year? Then he should act like it.

id be happy to pay him 1.2million to sit at home on his play station for the next 3 years. we will forever be in his debt.

i know his below his best, but so be it, never should a bad word be said about him by our supporters, ever

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
What a stupid comment.
I'm not sure it's a 'stupid comment'.

At the end of the day - Dusty is a "professional AFL footballer".

In receipt of 1.2MIL per year, the AFL, RFC and associated supporters deserve professionalism at all times................

Of course this is not realistic - and Dusty might be a bit hit and miss at the moment - and he almost single handedly was the difference in 3 premierships - BUT - it's not a 'stupid comment'.

Reminds me of an interview with Mick Doohan once (words to effect):

Journalist: "Mick - you're home Grand Prix - the racing public on your shoulders - will you put an extra effort in?"

Doohan: "TBH what a disgusting question! I am a professional motorcycle racer. I race every circuit at 100% There is no such thing as 110% - it merely shows that some riders are at 90% and then they lift to 100% at their home Grand Prix! That's why I'm world champion and they aren't - because I am a professional and I ride at 100% in every race.

"next question?"

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Interesting fact from last night, the umpire in control at the end, John Howarth is from Castlemaine as well. When Dustin was playing seniors at 16 John would likely have been running the boundary.

I'd assume they know each other a little so the after siren conversation was probably a bit more animated than usual, which is why I think people were complaining about dissent.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Interesting fact from last night, the umpire in control at the end, John Howarth is from Castlemaine as well. When Dustin was playing seniors at 16 John would likely have been running the boundary.

I'd assume they know each other a little so the after siren conversation was probably a bit more animated than usual, which is why I think people were complaining about dissent.
It looks like John Howarth found his calling years earlier. He should have stayed on the boundary line

Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009

In receipt of 1.2MIL per year, the AFL, RFC and associated supporters deserve professionalism at all times................

Of course this is not realistic - and Dusty might be a bit hit and miss at the moment - and he almost single handedly was the difference in 3 premierships - BUT - it's not a 'stupid comment'.

Journalist: "Mick - you're home Grand Prix - the racing public on your shoulders - will you put an extra effort in?"

Doohan: "TBH what a disgusting question! I am a professional motorcycle racer. I race every circuit at 100% There is no such thing as 110% - it merely shows that some riders are at 90% and then they lift to 100% at their home Grand Prix! That's why I'm world champion and they aren't - because I am a professional and I ride at 100% in every race.

"next question?"
Wish every player thought like that. Great words

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

No player could name a boundary umpire, let alone one that may not have even been there when Martin played. I'd say zero chance they knew each other and contributed to the discussion.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
i actually thought Dusty was pretty involved last night. he seemed animated and up for it.
but like almost everyone else went missing at the two minute mark of the 3rd Q

Agree, he looked up for it but the magic was not there. Recovering from injury and loss and not playing to his usual standard.

Dustin needs the support of our club, we have already reaped the rewards from his talent.

I'm sure the club is doing what it can to help and we'll see how it pans out.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014

"next question?"
Think Dusty has more than enough credits in the bank let alone the circumstances he's currently under.
Unwarranted comment under the circumstance IMO.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
No player could name a boundary umpire, let alone one that may not have even been there when Martin played. I'd say zero chance they knew each other and contributed to the discussion.
100%
The idea that a 16 year old kid playing in the seniors would take any notice at all - let alone commit to memory - someone who ran the boundary at a country footy game years before is fanciful.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Doubt it as he was the first to go and question the flog after that non-50 free after the game. If he wanted to leave us, he wouldn't have bothered asking and just go through the motions of going back to the rooms.
Not suggesting he wants to leave the RFC TF. Far more profound than that. Suggesting he may want to leave the game......

Dusty seems distracted. The ZEN like ability of Dusty to be in the sporting moment is no longer manifest. Questions of being certainly follow the death of a loved one. Is Dusty experiencing an existential crisis? Dunno. What I do know is that he is the best player I have ever seen to wear the yellow and black. An icon. A legend.

We should all be forever in gratitude for what the great man has given us.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
People still want the 27yo Dusty. Fact is he is now 31yo. He is well past his best and generally the form guide goes down from here. Dusty managed 20 disposals, 10 contested,6 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 6 score involvements. Any other player at 31yo you'd say yeah that was a pretty fair effort but he gets marked harder because of his immense performance over years of footy.

Did we give him a contract that was too large for too long. Logically the contract taking you to 33yo, you'd say yes, however how much are 3 premierships worth? We offered him unders compared to another couple of clubs. Without the 7 year deal am pretty confident he would have moved on.

Imo we need to stop thinking of him as the 27yo powerhouse and compare his current performance with mere mortals.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Not suggesting he wants to leave the RFC TF. Far more profound than that. Suggesting he may want to leave the game......

Dusty seems distracted. The ZEN like ability of Dusty to be in the sporting moment is no longer manifest. Questions of being certainly follow the death of a loved one. Is Dusty experiencing an existential crisis? Dunno. What I do know is that he is the best player I have ever seen to wear the yellow and black. An icon. A legend.

We should all be forever in gratitude for what the great man has given us.
Took me 3 years to get over thinking of my father's passing. Kept it in the back of my mind that long. As for existential crisis, it's got to the point where he needs company in which he won't get from his teammates as they move on with their own families (they'll stay in contact but not live to close to each other). For an introvert, it is difficult. I feel for my 23yo nephew who has autism and has to live with his Mum.....but for how long?

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
Who has ever been to see a doctor and the Doctor reveals anything about his/her personal life? They dont, they are professional people doing the job they are paid to do. A Professional in any sport should be the same. Dusty is a professional and is looking fitter each week and performing to a professional standard.
Dusty owes the club to perform as per his contract. The club owes him nothing but Respect and admiration as a Club Champion and legend of the game.

A fit and motivated Dusty is what we want anything less than that then it is time to part ways.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

100%
The idea that a 16 year old kid playing in the seniors would take any notice at all - let alone commit to memory - someone who ran the boundary at a country footy game years before is fanciful.

I wasn't actually meaning remembering a boundary umpire, more that they were both kids around the same age from the same small town involved in footy so would have undoubtably known who the other was.

Umpires and players have a fair bit of contact as well so I'm sure they will have had a chat at some stage.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I wasn't actually meaning remembering a boundary umpire, more that they were both kids around the same age from the same small town involved in footy so would have undoubtably known who the other was.

Umpires and players have a fair bit of contact as well so I'm sure they will have had a chat at some stage.
I buy the school / neighbourhood / team mate argument but I cannot think of any umpire or referee from my sports at that age whose name I knew or would recognise a few years later.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
At his best Dusty was a clearance king. I miss that Dusty. I'm not expecting him to keep being that guy post 30 but who's our replacement?
We're missing a midfield bull..