Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
We will have quite a large salary gap coming up. I would prefer to keep Dusty and Grimes on in a mentor role than overpay young guys that have not earnt the privilege.
Overpaying players will keep you at the bottom for longer than just about anything else.

Dusty could be useful in this role as a bridge from the old to the new. I am sure the Kids love playing with him.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
On Yzes presser mentioned that Dusty was deliberately kept out of the midfield to play a role forward and give the younger guys the experience of playing on yeo and Kelly.
Yze has a clear plan for the future.

Reactions: 7 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
On Yzes presser mentioned that Dusty was deliberately kept out of the midfield to play a role forward and give the younger guys the experience of playing on yeo and Kelly.
Wot . We were there to see Tigers win the game not a training run for the young guns to gain some experience against ageing dinosaurs.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
It is probably hurting us right now but I can see the sense in blooding the cubs against highly skilled mids. My worry is some of the cubs we are trying are unlikely to make it but at least they are being given the chance

It is probably hurting us right now but I can see the sense in blooding the cubs against highly skilled mids. My worry is some of the cubs we are trying are unlikely to make it but at least they are being given the chance
Obviously true these mids may not make it, however, experience says many dont have a break out season for 3 or 4 years. Some later if they were poorly coached.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Looks in 2nd gear to me tbh.
Another guy cooked by Beavis and his running mantra.
Yes it bought the results we were all after but did nothing to the players career longevity.
Personally he looks like he is in neutral gear to me.
You can see him trailing behind opponents.
Unless the guy is within touching distance he just can't extend to put a tackle on.

Breaks my heart to see him peter out like The Chimpah, Sir Jackmond etc.
Meanwhile 45 year old Shovekins runs around like a gazelle with hammies of a 25 year old.
No justice in this world.
A few more games Dust, then put the feet up, Champion!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yes it bought the results we were all after but did nothing to the players career longevity.
3 flags in 4 years and you are whingeing about longevity?

What they achieved was amazing, what would the Saints faithful give for one flag???

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
We will have quite a large salary gap coming up. I would prefer to keep Dusty and Grimes on in a mentor role than overpay young guys that have not earnt the privilege.
Overpaying players will keep you at the bottom for longer than just about anything else.

Dusty could be useful in this role as a bridge from the old to the new. I am sure the Kids love playing with him.
I think the more astute way to operate is to front end existing contracts by negotiation if you find yourself in salary cap imbalance. Keep your powder dry to recruit the next big fish (plural).

Last edited:

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Personally he looks like he is in neutral gear to me.
You can see him trailing behind opponents.
Unless the guy is within touching distance he just can't extend to put a tackle on.

Breaks my heart to see him peter out like The Chimpah, Sir Jackmond etc.
Meanwhile 45 year old Shovekins runs around like a gazelle with hammies of a 25 year old.
No justice in this world.
A few more games Dust, then put the feet up, Champion!
But we made a clear decision to give the champs superannuation years and to nurse them to their milestones and I for one feel pretty good about that. You could name at least 8 players that were essential for us to win three flags.

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Whatever niggle he's managing seems to blow up in the second half. Been happening for weeks. They were saying "calf". Now it's that we're blooding children.

Anyways. It's pretty much always physical. We don't see the diagnosis. It was apparently a corkie at the outset. I'm sure caesar will spot it.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Whatever niggle he's managing seems to blow up in the second half. Been happening for weeks. They were saying "calf". Now it's that we're blooding children.

Anyways. It's pretty much always physical. We don't see the diagnosis. It was apparently a corkie at the outset. I'm sure caesar will spot it.
Yeah he's NQR. No biggie.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Good point.
Sorry for having an opinion.
Nothing wrong with having an opinion glove, just sometimes the opinions aint that flash :)) Shedda, Jaaack, Cotch n coming up to 300 Dusty. Regardless of flag successes or not 300 plus game careers at AFL level is a superb achievement of longevity in the game. Hardly the result of a coach burning out his players.
The tiny handful of players that get to 350 / 400 games are simply freaks of nature with an extra dollop of luck thrown in for good measure.

Reactions: 11 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
"I believe that one of them, if not both, will not be in Richmond colours next year."Trent Cotchin on the futures of Dustin Martin and Liam Baker

Wow.

PRE is gonna blow up this morning when everyone reads this.
I wonder if he and Dusty have had a falling out?
Or is it a case of Cotchy embracing his new media status.

Cotch "Scoop" newsbreaker!