DYNASTY!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DYNASTY!!!

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Well ...

can we talk about this yet?

For mine, we need three flags to establish the dynasty.

That’ll be the carrot in 2020.

That and winning one for the Stackman and Ross.

If we win 2020 then it’s 3 flags in 4 years and we’ve never had an epoch like that. If we won any final the next year (2021) then it’s surpassed any era we’ve had.

It would also put Dimma in an outright 2nd as a Richmond premiership coach for flags with 3 behind Hafey 4.

Reactions: 1 user

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Premiers in 2017
Best team and minor premiers in 2018
Premiers in 2019

Won 7 out of 8 finals last three years with an average winning margin just shy of 8 goals ( 46 points). I doubt any of Brisbane, Geelong or Hawks could boast that dominance of its opponents in finals games.

I think the Dynasty is already with us. Long may it reign (on everyone else's parade)!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I was thinking about our win loss stats this morning and yesterday confirms our dominance. The list is young enough and in good enough shape to repeat this for a few years yet.

Jack and Rance are only 30. still have 3 good years left.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
2 premierships is a era
3 premierships is a Dynasty

Reactions: 2 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Inside Richmond: Why this could be the dawn of a new Tigers era
Konrad Marshall
By Konrad Marshall
September 29, 2019 — 4.07pm
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/live-scores?match=106750401
It's 11:47am, the day after the 12th premiership of the Richmond Football Club, and coach Damien Hardwick is inside the war room at Punt Road Oval, sipping a light beer over best-laid plans.
Behind him, thousands of fans bedecked in yellow and black are gathered on the ground outside, and through the open, cantilevered windows of his office, Dimma can hear them cheering in the sunshine as they watch a replay of the match on two huge screens.
Coach Damien Hardwick and captain Trent Cotchin with the premiership cup at Punt Road on Sunday, where tens of thousands of Tiger faithful gathered to celebrate.

Coach Damien Hardwick and captain Trent Cotchin with the premiership cup at Punt Road on Sunday, where tens of thousands of Tiger faithful gathered to celebrate.CREDIT:CHRIS HOPKINS
He's seated at a big table made of blonde timber, and in the centre rests a whiteboard in the shape of an oval, with centre squares and goal squares and 50 metre arcs. The coaches sit around this board almost every day of every season, marking the blank schematic depending on the task at hand. In match review, they use it to illustrate and untangle passages of play. In opposition analysis, it's where they sketch convoluted, diagrammatic paths to victory. Now, less than 18 hours after a famous flag is won – done and Dusty-ed – the board is clear.

Hardwick isn't alone. To his right sits his right hand man, Tim Livingstone, the head of coaching and football performance. (If the club were a school, Livo would be the encouraging, organised vice principal.) There's also defensive coach (and comedian) Justin Leppitsch, wily list manager Blair Hartley, the inquiring tactician and statistician Hayden Hill, plus new midfield coach Adam Kingsley and old football boss Neil Balme. They're shooting the breeze but also doing their best and fairest voting from the day before.
After an 89-point mauling of the Giants, a record margin for a Tiger premiership, it's an enjoyable task. They rate every player, every week, along a colour continuum – from red to brown to orange to light green and dark green (dark green being excellent). Unsurprisingly, there is little variation in the voting today.
Tiger faithful celebrate premiership success at Punt Road.

Tiger faithful celebrate premiership success at Punt Road.CREDIT:CHRIS HOPKINS
There is more than a little dark green in their assessment.
What interests me, though, is the casual, open-door manner of the meeting. On a seat in one corner sits Dimma's wife, Danielle – the famous "Mrs Hardwick" – and opposite, his mother Pam. Trent Cotchin, wearing all black and a fetching chestnut cowboy hat, is there with his daughters, Harper and McKenzie. And the flow of faces doesn't stop there. People meander in and out, from administration and recruiting. A couple of the IT guys linger by the door. Things are bound to be a little loose in clubland less than a day after a flag, but still, this warm inclusivity is indicative of something pivotal to Richmond, something I've seen for three years now.

It goes by many names and slogans inside these walls. The players call it connection. The board calls it alignment. The marketing department calls it unity. The captain calls it a blood brotherhood. The coach calls it love.

I wrote a book about that theme and the flag it helped win two years ago – Yellow & Black: A Season with Richmond – and I've kept visiting Tigerland since that time, popping in to say hello, to watch training and to write profiles of players. I was embedded with the club for the last month of the 2018 season, which didn't end well. And I've been embedded again since the final round of the 2019 season, slowly stitching together the story of this new flag. And what has struck me most this September is how little has changed here, yet how much has grown.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-five-moments-that-mattered-20190928-p52vs9.html
For instance, I sat in the main briefing room at Punt Road Oval on Friday afternoon, the day before the grand final, for a weekly event the club calls "The Ambush". Staff from all over the building – membership and sales, communications and finance – gather in the Graeme Richmond Room, where Livingstone and Hill tell them the entire game plan. This time it meant hearing direct coaching notes and instruction from the opposition analysis of the Giants. Tactics. Game plan. Strategy. Everything. They shared the "pump-up video" the players watch for inspiration. They shared the "story" of the week, which Hardwick would base his own pre-game speech on.

I've never been inside a club other than Richmond, and so I asked the various coaches – who have worked at roughly half the teams in the AFL – for a comparison. Not one had seen a club do anything like this weekly sharing ritual – this act of connection between the briefing room and the change rooms, the board room and the back rooms. It gave me confidence.
When I began writing at Richmond this time, I told myself I wasn't concerned about what might happen on grand final day. I told myself – and the people here told me, too – that the story isn't really about a win or loss on that one day in September, but the winning culture they establish and reinforce here every single day of the year.
There's contagion in this kind of messaging. This club talks endlessly about the journey, not the destination. It's the process, they say, not the outcome. It's the steps you take while climbing the mountain, not the view from the summit. They use the metaphor of a sledgehammer pounding a rock until it cracks. By all means enjoy the satisfaction of that vicious fracturing blow, but remember the hundred blows that came before, incrementally weakening the solid stone before that big, bold, satisfying split.

And yet, this win – this destination and outcome, this view and this destruction – means everything. It does. It's vindication. Affirmation.

People have lately learned things from Richmond, about the value of vulnerability, the power of storytelling, the efficacy of mindfulness, the importance of connection and care, and the necessary enmeshing of these programs throughout the club. No closed doors. No silos. No divide. But there has always remained a vague disbelieving undertone – a sense that the kumbaya Kool-Aid the Tigers are drinking is not a magic potion so much as a placebo.
But two flags in three years? That's confirmation. That's corroboration. That places this Tigers team alongside the greats of the modern game. The Cats and the Hawks, the Swans and the Lions. The Crows and the Eagles and the Roos. That's an exclamation mark. A roar. And perhaps also, I hope, a warning, about the establishment of a yellow and black era, only now nearing its blinding dawn.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
One of the media types said 2 Premierships in a short space of time is an Era. 3 is a Dynasty. I'm happy enough with that definition

Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Thats pretty amazing how the 'connection' covers the whole club. It enables all staff to buy into the vision and gives them their own intrinsic motivation.

It also sounds like Konrad is writing an update to his book, I cannot wait.

Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I remember my father talking about the confidence he had in us during our dominant era under Hafey. Just knew we could win. Was at a game and we were 6 goals down. The bloke supporting the oppo club offered to let him put his money where his mouth was when he said we’d still win. He said you’re on. We hit the lead and part way through the last quarter the other supporter handed the money over. Dad said ‘Games not over yet.’ Bloke looked at him and answered ‘Yes it is.’ We were that damn good back then, and I think we are now.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

PowerForward

Tiger Cub
Mar 26, 2005
Melbourne
I remember my father talking about the confidence he had in us during our dominant era under Hafey. Just knew we could win. Was at a game and we were 6 goals down. The bloke supporting the oppo club offered to let him put his money where his mouth was when he said we’d still win. He said you’re on. We hit the lead and part way through the last quarter the other supporter handed the money over. Dad said ‘Games not over yet.’ Bloke looked at him and answered ‘Yes it is.’ We were that damn good back then, and I think we are now.
I'm interested to read this, I'm just old enough to remember these kinds of details....
I think we're all changing our perception about what this team is capable of. That sounds mad given we've won 2 flags in 3 years but I guess thats' what 37 years will do to you! Anyway, even I thought the GF was won by half time on Saturday and that is just not how I think. This team is beginning to stamp itself on history and we're lucky enough to witness it.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I was rather depressed at half time in the PF, then we went and win that. I knew then that you never write this current group off. Earlier in the season, given our injury woes I thought just making the finals would be a hell of an achievement, and we won the whole damn thing!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
One of the media types said 2 Premierships in a short space of time is an Era. 3 is a Dynasty. I'm happy enough with that definition
Don't know how they use the word 'era' for 2 flags as it usually means the stretch of a particular time event such as the Dimma era from 2010 - (whenever)

Man Utd and Chicago Bulls were a dynasty during the 90s and 80s, the Hawks during the 80s. Unbeatable team for a stretch of time.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Thats pretty amazing how the 'connection' covers the whole club. It enables all staff to buy into the vision and gives them their own intrinsic motivation.

It also sounds like Konrad is writing an update to his book, I cannot wait.
Stronger and Bolder: The story of Richmond's 2019 Premiership
by Konrad Marshall comes out Nov. 11. You can pre-order on some online bookstores. Not in the Superstore yet.
Another one for the christmas stocking

Reactions: 2 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
by Konrad Marshall comes out Nov. 11. You can pre-order on some online bookstores. Not in the Superstore yet.
Big W online doing Pre Sale for $19.00 !!!

• Wow

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Excellent - that’s one Christmas present I will order from one of my kids, the other the the blu-ray GF replay with the 4 radio calls from the other.

deja- vu from 2017 - gotta love life being a tiger

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

This might well become the second best book ever written

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Excellent! That’s going on my Christmas Wishlist.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Premiers in 2017
Best team and minor premiers in 2018
Premiers in 2019

Won 7 out of 8 finals last three years with an average winning margin just shy of 8 goals ( 46 points). I doubt any of Brisbane, Geelong or Hawks could boast that dominance of its opponents in finals games.

I think the Dynasty is already with us. Long may it reign (on everyone else's parade)!!
Need one more to really put the nails in the other 17 teams.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I don’t think we can use the D word yet - actually we have a fair way to go tbh.

Hawks and lions were dominant over 4 years playing in 4 grannies for 3 flags each
Geelong come in next playing in 4 grannies over 6 years for 3 flags
North played in 3 grannies over 4 years for 2 flags

These 4 teams currently sit above us in terms of dynasties.

Both Essendon and Hawthorn also had more dominant periods in the 1980’s than what we have achieved to date. The hawks made 7 grand finals in a row for a haul of 4 flags - the best in the modern area.

At the moment we sit alongside Adelaide and West Coast with 2 flags

TeamYearPremiershipsGrand Finals
Richmond2017 - 20192 (over 3 years)2
Hawthorn2012 - 20153 (in a row)4 (4 in a row)
Geelong2007 - 20113 (every second year)4 (3 in a row)
Brisbane2001 - 20043 (in a row)4 (4 in a row)
North Melbourne1996 -19992 (over 4 years)3 (2 in a row)
Adelaide1997 -19982 (in a row)2 (2 in a row)
West Coast1992 - 19942 ( over 3 years)2
Hawthorn1983 -19915 flags (include 2in a row)8 (7 in a row)
Essendon1983-19852 flags (in a row)3

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I don’t think we can use the D word yet - actually we have a fair way to go tbh.

Hawks and lions were dominant over 4 years playing in 4 grannies for 3 flags each
Geelong come in next playing in 4 grannies over 6 years for 3 flags
North played in 3 grannies over 4 years for 2 flags

These 4 teams currently sit above us in terms of dynasties.

Both Essendon and Hawthorn also had more dominant periods in the 1980’s than what we have achieved to date. The hawks made 7 grand finals in a row for a haul of 4 flags - the best in the modern area.

At the moment we sit alongside Adelaide and West Coast with 2 flags

TeamYearPremiershipsGrand Finals
Richmond2017 - 20192 (over 3 years)2
Hawthorn2012 - 20153 (in a row)4 (4 in a row)
Geelong2007 - 20113 (every second year)4 (3 in a row)
Brisbane2001 - 20043 (in a row)4 (4 in a row)
North Melbourne1996 -19992 (over 4 years)3 (2 in a row)
Adelaide1997 -19982 (in a row)2 (2 in a row)
West Coast1992 - 19942 ( over 3 years)2
Hawthorn1983 -19915 flags (include 2in a row)8 (7 in a row)
Essendon1983-19852 flags (in a row)3

Measured post year!

The D word shouldn’t be used yet.

It hasn’t come from us but by the media initially.

We have some way to go yet to be compared to the top of the tree.