English Premier League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

English Premier League threads [Merged]

Re: 2010/2011 English Premier League

Saw a great banner at a Liverpool game on TV the other day. It read.....

Liverpool FC
Built by Shanks
Broke by Yanks

TigerGoneNorth said:
"Dominated"? You sound like Arsene "I live in a world of my own" Wenger. I hope teams dominate against us like that all season.

And how bad are Liverpool? Real bad. Few of their players would get a game for the top 4 teams - Torres, Gerrard, Reina and that's that.
They held possesion of the ball and didn't get pushed off like as easily as recent times. Hard to break down the final third against the league leaders at home when your most incisive passer (by the length of the Flemington straight), biggest two strikers and most attacking player are out. Chelsea are bloody good unfortuantely but would like to see how the go without the Drog for an extended period, preferably at Emirates later in the year.

Also, Liverpool to be docked 9 points if the don't pay the bill in the next couple of weeks. Good times.

Elmer said:
They held possesion of the ball and didn't get pushed off like as easily as recent times. Hard to break down the final third against the league leaders at home when your most incisive passer (by the length of the Flemington straight), biggest two strikers and most attacking player are out. Chelsea are bloody good unfortuantely but would like to see how the go without the Drog for an extended period, preferably at Emirates later in the year.

Also, Liverpool to be docked 9 points if the don't pay the bill in the next couple of weeks. Good times.

Don't disagree but that doesn't = dominated.

Elmer said:

c'mon elmer - youre starting to sound like arsene. had we had a full team chelsea would have cranked it up a notch whether home or away and beaten us either way. they played well within themselves and allowed us to dominate possession. good teams know how to beat arsenal - let them play their beautiful pass the parcel game and hit them on the counter when we push extra players forward coz we can't penetrate. its obvious to most except wenger who is too busy arguing with the third official and thinking up excuses.

Elmer said:

If you read the rules, Liverpool will NOT be docked 9 points as they don't fit the criteria. This is just a case of the papers not doing their research properly.

SCOOP said:
Liverpool= Leeds United

The only way Liverpool will ever = Leeds United is if they are relegated and thats never going to happen so I'm not sure what you are on about there, Scoop?

ThePercies said:
The only way Liverpool will ever = Leeds United is if they are relegated and thats never going to happen so I'm not sure what you are on about there, Scoop?

I don't know, I can see some parallels with regard to their financial situation. But I am sure their new owners will pull them out of it.

Everytime I see Liverpool slide deeper into crapness I think of our old mate Livers and smile. Life is sweet.

antman said:
Everytime I see Liverpool slide deeper into crapness I think of our old mate Livers and smile. Life is sweet.

I miss Livers being on here. What happened to him?

Did you get to be too much for him Antman? :hihi

Streak said:

Did you get to be too much for him Antman? :hihi

I can't take all the credit (or blame). Before he left I only had the occasional interaction with him, ThePercies might know more about why he left.

Anyway, what is truly important is that Liverpool FC sux big time.

Streak said:

One of the fallen PRE family. I would like to hear his take on the events of today.

Like people on here give '2 sh*ts' about where Livers is these days...

This place from time to time is a pathetic place to hold a decent conversation without it turning into a slanging match....

New York Tiger said:
Liverpool sold to John Henry, majority owner of the Boston Red Sox.Speaking as a Red Sox fan, fantastic outcome for the Reds IMO.

Pros
- Understood the history of the Red Sox, but didn't let that drag down decision making
- Lets the operation people do their job - very much hands off
- Hires good people in key posts
- Financially literate - willing to splash the cash for the right people
- Handles difficult situations well. Getting rid of Manny and Pedro Martinez had the hallmarks of ugly bust up, but their departures went well.
- Not egocentric. the focus will not be on him whilst he the owner
- Disciplined once the plan and strategy is established re player and list management

From the little i've seen of him on TV (very much a background man) seems genuine.

Good luck Scousers - got lucky IMO.
Seems pretty 'hands on', though. Would that be fair? If so does he know enough about EPL? Perhaps his skills don't translate so well from American Baseball to European futbol. It's a bit of a different paradigm.

Hands on only to the point of being seen I think. At the Red Sox he's filled the front office with young talented people and let them do their jobs for the most part. I can't see him doing much different with Liverpool, unfortunately.

Disco08 said:
Hands on only to the point of being seen I think. At the Red Sox he's filled the front office with young talented people and let them do their jobs for the most part. I can't see him doing much different with Liverpool, unfortunately.

Ah fair enough.

PS Gooo Giants!!!

ThePercies said:
If you read the rules, Liverpool will NOT be docked 9 points as they don't fit the criteria. This is just a case of the papers not doing their research properly.
RBS can place them in administration if the debt is not paid. It is at RBS's discrection.

New York Tiger said:
Alright - why won't liverpool be docked 9 points if they placed in Administration? Those are the rules I thought.
They are the rules. Although it is likely both RBS and PL will squib it because it is Liverpool and will cause massive negative public sentiment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9074311.stm

Should Kop Holdings be placed in administration, the Premier League board, which comprises chief executive Richard Scudamore, chairman Sir Dave Richards and secretary Mike Foster, would then decide whether to dock points.

Premier League rules state the points penalty can be applied if a parent company insolvency is caused by the club's management.

RBS will have the choice to waive their demand for repayment until the legal dispute is finalised, or call in the debt and place the parent company into administration.

Portsmouth became the first Premier League club to enter administration on 26 February and automatically received a nine-point reduction, condemning them to relegation.

In a similar case, West Ham avoided a penalty when their holding company went into administration in 2009 - that is because the east London club was just one of several interests in the portfolio of Icelandic bank Straumur.

However, also in 2009, Southampton were docked 10 points by the Football League after their parent company Southampton Leisure Holdings went into administration, as a League investigation found they were "inextricably linked as one economic entity". That was a decision taken by the Football League rather than the Premier League.

With the Premier League meeting the owners and directors of NESV in the last couple of weeks, league bosses have confirmed that John W Henry and his board have passed recently changed the 'new owners' and directors' test.