Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Essendon have poached Josh Mahoney as their new football boss.

He has walked out of Melbourne today, and starts with Essendrugs on Monday.

Underwhelming appointment if you ask me.
I think Mahoney is a pretty good appt. Unfortunately for him he’s going to a club that are pretty dysfunctional off the field.

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Hard done by was a poor choice of words. They were investigated and prosecuted to a standard that wasn't applied to the other clubs.
They seemed to be prosecuted to an international standard re: illicit substances in sport.

I'm sure the AFL stage managed the whole thing. I think that is your suspicion and where you are coming from.
However, I don't believe for a second any club in the AFL ran anything like what was seen at Essendon or Cronulla. Remember ASADA had to fight for credibility and relevance at this time. Their investigators were often criticised and seized across the country. Do you really think they would bury something to help the AFL at the time?
I too think Essendon got off lightly. Basically they let someone come in and attempt to cheat then said "we know nothing, but someone here was naughty". If this was a Russian or Chinese swim team, the whole country would be saying throw them out of every meet for 4 years. Life ban their coaches.
But we're Australian. We hate cheating athletes, and we can't bare the thought that our own might be party to it, let alone a professional club. So we've minimised the charges, and tried to avoid punishments. Thank God someone at ASADA was dogmatic enough to keep pursuing it.

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'd wager if you were to take a million ordinary AFL players and pumped the sort of rubbish into them that Dank was pedalling, you'd be more likely to turn one into a woman than produce a Brownlow medallist.
But no one knows what Dank was pushing into them, that's part of the problem. So I don't think your argument holds water.

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
We don't know exactly but we do have at least some idea of lots of the stuff he was sourcing and administering and it was junk. You'd get more performance enhancement from eating a banana.

So it is possible that he had other genuinely performance enhancing substances that were never discovered, but based on the evidence so far it would mean he was a scratch golfer who plays par fours by having three air swings and then hitting a hole in one.
My personal opinion, is that Essendon and the AFL know what was being injected and it helped create a better narrative to show the players as guinea pigs, than part of a well orchestrated attempt to cheat.
If they disclosed what had really happened, my belief is ASADA would have had to prosecute the club and ban it, much like wantaway cycling teams have been. That's something completely unpalatable to the AFL, as losing a big four club, the negative publicity generated, the exit of sponsors and impact to Broadcast contracts would have put the league back about 20 years.
I do believe however, if there was a problem with players at various clubs, it would have managed it by clubs announcing long term injuries (includingmental health), retirements, delistings and the like. "We won't out you as a cheat, but you go quietly and keep your reputation intact".

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
My personal opinion, is that Essendon and the AFL know what was being injected and it helped create a better narrative to show the players as guinea pigs, than part of a well orchestrated attempt to cheat.
If they disclosed what had really happened, my belief is ASADA would have had to prosecute the club and ban it, much like wantaway cycling teams have been. That's something completely unpalatable to the AFL, as losing a big four club, the negative publicity generated, the exit of sponsors and impact to Broadcast contracts would have put the league back about 20 years.
I do believe however, if there was a problem with players at various clubs, it would have managed it by clubs announcing long term injuries (includingmental health), retirements, delistings and the like. "We won't out you as a cheat, but you go quietly and keep your reputation intact".

I tend to agree and we shouldn't forget that the AFL twice tried to bury this. They came up with a similar "punishment" as Cronulla with David Evans but the rest of the Bombers were too dumb to take this.

The AFL them created a Kangaroo court to prosecute the players which because they couldn't "prove" what happened as they wanted to see official documents which they knew didn't exist. It was only when the AFL / ASADA investigation ended and WADA got involved that the players got suspended when this went to CAS.

The AFL tried their best to protect Essendon and hide the impacts of this, but WADA wouldn't let them do it.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
But it is important to note the scale doesn't matter.

Maybe from a pure legal/code perspective it doesn't, and I understand you keep hanging on that bit. But take a step back and look at the scale of what Essendon were doping compared to the other clubs, you can see why:
1) They were targeted
2) When ASADA succumbed to AFL/Political pressure, WADA steeped in, brought it to CAS and Essendon players got done
3) There is no way in hell Essendon can be considered "Hard done by"

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Essendon were not particularly hard done by - if they had said "OK fair cop", shutup, and took their medicine like Cronulla they would have been out of the mess within 6 months. The Essendon Pres/CEO/Coach/Board chose to fight it and they are still paying the price today.

I don't buy that the AFL knew everything including all the drugs/supplements taken and covered it up for the above reason. Sure, the AFL tries to minimise PR damage but they failed - see above. There was no cover-up, just a major clusterfeck.

Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I just can't see how anyone could say that was a fair and just result for the competition. It's a sham.
It was Essendrugs, of course it was legit.
Should of got whacked harder for being a bunch of self centered arsepicks. Hirdy n Bomber gunna bring Essendrugs back to the promised land at the top of the ladder n the fanbois were in raptures.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

This has got the scent of Essendon all over it.

Didn't the Dons try and scare clubs away from Dyson Heppell by spreading misinformation?

NB: This kid could be in a bit of trouble.
Laugh like *smile* if he got drafted to #lolnorf n earned himself a great collection of wooden spoons.

• Haha

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
TBR - you say that 12 other clubs have "enormous" issues with their own supplement programs. In a previous post you even likened this to the police charging the EFC with murder but not the others despite their being 12 "dead bodies". You're implying that the weight of evidence against the other 12 clubs is similarly strong as that against the EFC which comes across as disingenuous and sanctimonious.

Produce the body - otherwise there is no case to answer. A single article in The Age with vague implications that other clubs did similar things isn't a dead body.

There was one body though, and it was found riddled with jab marks at the EFC's secret offsite injecting facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I have a feeling that if the bulk of Richmond's list was suspended for illegal supplement use after a long investigation and the AFL then announced that most clubs in the competition had enormous issues with their own use of supplements but conducted no further investigations or sought to ascertain if anything illegal had been taken, then you might feel a little different.

The point of difference here is you're claiming what Essendon did is on the same level as a player taking a sports drink that's banned on match day.

I am not. What Essendon did was a club mandated programme on the majority of their players and then when pulled up on it destroyed all records so that now the players have NFI what was injected.

If the RFC did what the EFC did I'd be shattered, but I wouldn't try to claim we are hard done by.