FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Should be a good game tomorrow morning between England and USA.
You confused the *smile* out me then! I was sure the game was tonight - wondered what the hell you were on about.

Then remembered a thing called time zones.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
With fellow AFC representatives, Saudi Arabia and Iran notching up wins and looking competent at this level. I wonder who will be crowned with the award for most *smile* team at the tournament?

Is there a book on that? Australia, Costa Rica and Qatar might go neck an neck for that.

People talk about the 2006 side being a once in a generation team in the context of Australian football (soccer). I’d argue it was an even more marked anomaly than that. More like a once ever team, never to be repeated.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
With fellow AFC representatives, Saudi Arabia and Iran notching up wins and looking competent at this level. I wonder who will be crowned with the award for most *smile* team at the tournament?

Is their a book on that? Australia, Costa Rica and Qatar might go neck an neck for that.

People talk about the 2006 side being a once in a generation team in the context of Australian football (soccer). I’d argue it was an even more marked anomaly than that. More like a once ever team, never to be repeated.
Why are there so few players plying their trade in Europe these days? Just not good enough?

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Is their a book on that? Australia, Costa Rica and Qatar might go neck an neck for that.

Kewell, Cahill the V Bomber, Schwarzer, Bresciano, Cullina, Emerton, Aloisi, Grella, Kennedy, Neil, Popovic, and Moore they were there together at the right time.

Most if not all of these guys were playing overseas as well back then.

They certainly lifted Aussie Sokkah to its highest point.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Disappointing from England and disappointing particularly from Southgate. The changes that he made weren't enough, he's too conservative at times. When teams are good and press like that, you need classy ball users to open defenses up, its why Sterling had no influence (he uses his pace to open defenses up) and makes it even more baffling than Foden wasn't playing. IMO he's England's most talented player and should be pretty much the 1st player on the pitch.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Wow. Head clash between Iran forward and Wales GK. Yellow card to GK has become a red card thanks to VAR.

Funny this VAR. Looked unintentional. Not sure how these flogs change their mind at times.

Nah, the keeper was reckless, look where his foot was, attacked the contest with raised stops.

Agree totally unnecessary and he cost Wales their 1 pt in the end.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Disappointing from England and disappointing particularly from Southgate. The changes that he made weren't enough, he's too conservative at times. When teams are good and press like that, you need classy ball users to open defenses up, its why Sterling had no influence (he uses his pace to open defenses up) and makes it even more baffling than Foden wasn't playing. IMO he's England's most talented player and should be pretty much the 1st player on the pitch.
Wait until @Baloo assesses Southgate's performance then!

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wait until @Baloo assesses Southgate's performance then!

Fell asleep before the match started. Wales v Iran, Qatar v Senegal and Neanderthals v Ecuador were enough for a night's viewing.

But England always disappoint in the World Cup, and to be controversial, my view is that their cattle is not as good as people always think they are. People overestimate them simply because the EPL is the most watched league and people are familiar with the English players

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
But England always disappoint in the World Cup, and to be controversial, my view is that their cattle is not as good as people always think they are. People overestimate them simply because the EPL is the most watched league and people are familiar with the English players
Essengland.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Fell asleep before the match started. Wales v Iran, Qatar v Senegal and Neanderthals v Ecuador were enough for a night's viewing.

Over the years, the English players in a sense are a victim of the domestic league’s immense commercial success. By attracting superstars from across the globe to fill sides (and even club academies to some degree), it’s actually stumped a culture of developing their own talent somewhat. Policies to arrest this have been brought in, in more recent times. But they still are so far behind the Dutch and Germans on this front.

The Dutch system for example exists with a focus on developing their domestic talent as the absolute no.1 priority. Sure, the Dutch league undeniably tops up with overseas talent, but never loses focus on what the central raison d’être is. The German system likewise, with a much bigger talent pool than the Dutch.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Kewell, Cahill the V Bomber, Schwarzer, Bresciano, Cullina, Emerton, Aloisi, Grella, Kennedy, Neil, Popovic, and Moore they were there together at the right time.

Most if not all of these guys were playing overseas as well back then.

They certainly lifted Aussie Sokkah to its highest point.
Not just playing overseas either. A good chunk of them plying their trade in tier 1 leagues as well.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Agree and Southgate's not as good as previous managers. Pommies too slow while the Yanks looked more pro-active attacking.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Over the years, the English players in a sense are a victim of the domestic league’s immense commercial success. By attracting superstars from across the globe to fill sides (and even club academies to some degree), it’s actually stumped a culture of developing their own talent somewhat. Policies to arrest this have been brought in, in more recent times. But they still are so far behind the Dutch and Germans on this front.

The Dutch system for example exists with a focus on developing their domestic talent as the absolute no.1 priority. Sure, the Dutch league undeniably tops up with overseas talent, but never loses focus on what the central raison d’être is. The German system likewise, with a much bigger talent pool than the Dutch.
Yep. By the way, what happened to that Dutch orange? It's faded to yellow.

I reckon France will win this B2B. They look the strongest and more composed.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yep. By the way, what happened to that Dutch orange? It's faded to yellow.

I reckon France will win this B2B. They look the strongest and more composed.
Dutch certainly on a bit of an off era by their standards, agree. Having said that, even in an off era, they qualify for major tournaments. So they are ahead of the Italians.

And agree regarding France. It’s a long tournament, so shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves too much. But look the sharpest to me.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Dutch certainly on a bit of an off era by their standards, agree. Having said that, even in an off era, they qualify for major tournaments. So they are ahead of the Italians.

And agree regarding France. It’s a long tournament, so shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves too much. But look the sharpest to me.
Sorry, just realised I totally misinterpreted you regarding your Dutch comment.

The strip does look an amber. Not the traditional Dutch Royal orange.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Italianos numero 6 in the FIFA rankings and yet stuffed up the last 2 WC entries. Crazy. Surely can't happen a third time.

• Wow