Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Similar , I generally listen to Lyon and Watson, actually like thier show and usually listen to Wheatley for anywhere between 1second and an hour, depending who’s his guests. Was listening yesterday and all these negative , whinging callers , had me changing over to MMM and pretty much did the same today. There is not a single footy show I watch now, I’ve pretty much only seen the Mighty Tiges games , I use to enjoy a few of the shows ,such as on the couch, however now all they seem to be is gossip bull *smile* , off field gutter crap and next to No actual footy talk. I didn’t hear any radio about how good the young Saints were against us, just criticising of us. I’ll say it again how are we suppose to grow when Robbo is the games main journalist

I don’t mind Gil, but FFS how woeful is SHocking, then the biggest headline grabbers in the competition are McGuire, Koch and Kennett , where the hell does that leave us.
Add Cornes to the headline grabbers list.
I agree it's all gutter gossip trash. I was thinking earlier today, there is not 1 single show now like "Pure footy" where we are told how teams are winning & falling away from a statistical point of view, it's all criticising teams, rule change discussion (yawn) & bashing anyone that goes outside the PC box off field.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Similar , I generally listen to Lyon and Watson, actually like thier show and usually listen to Wheatley for anywhere between 1second and an hour, depending who’s his guests. Was listening yesterday and all these negative , whinging callers , had me changing over to MMM and pretty much did the same today. There is not a single footy show I watch now, I’ve pretty much only seen the Mighty Tiges games , I use to enjoy a few of the shows ,such as on the couch, however now all they seem to be is gossip bull *smile* , off field gutter crap and next to No actual footy talk. I didn’t hear any radio about how good the young Saints were against us, just criticising of us. I’ll say it again how are we suppose to grow when Robbo is the games main journalist

I don’t mind Gil, but FFS how woeful is SHocking, then the biggest headline grabbers in the competition are McGuire, Koch and Kennett , where the hell does that leave us.

Where does it leave us, without a loud and prominent president?

Quietly accumulating flags :cupgold

DS

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The last time I listened to Triple M it was called EON FM. The old Top 8 at 8 with John Peters.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Do not let this pass Gill's or SHocking's ears.On 6PR talk back radio yesterday ex West Cokonut Glen Jacovitch answer to make the game more pleasing to the eye (less mauls higher scoring etc etc) is to introduce a Bonus points system for each round. Only five bonus points would be available each round for the top 5 scoring teams per round & have scored over a 100 points. A team who lost & in the 5 teams who scored over a 100 points would recieve the bonus point. Do think Glen Cokonut has been drinking more than Coke.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Do not let this pass Gill's or SHocking's ears.On 6PR talk back radio yesterday ex West Cokonut Glen Jacovitch answer to make the game more pleasing to the eye (less mauls higher scoring etc etc) is to introduce a Bonus points system for each round. Only five bonus points would be available each round for the top 5 scoring teams per round & have scored over a 100 points. A team who lost & in the 5 teams who scored over a 100 points would recieve the bonus point. Do think Glen Cokonut has been drinking more than Coke.

Not sure a single bonus point is going to make a difference. Coaches will still be focused on getting the W and winning enough games to play finals, then back their defence-first gameplans to win in September. They will know entering games with the intent of scoring 100+ will set them up for failure.

Maybe you're down 70-40 late in the 3rd against comparable opposition and you park the bus instead of trying to win the match, turning it into a bore. Nobody's likely to foresee all the possible consequences.

In 2019 the AFL recorded its highest average crowds since 2010 (i.e. pre-Gold Coast). As others have said, making big decisions based on the grotesque conditions of 2020 is nuts. Are the TV ratings down or something?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Tim Gossage
Just Twitted "Great 3 years tigers, but it's all over"
Typical WA wankjer

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
We're officially a live chance as Kane Cornes has just declared we're No chance.... Thank you Kano!

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Cornes can't pick his nose let alone pick who will win the flag.
Brisbane are one good slapping from capitulation.
Port are the same old port, feeding off the bottom sides then getting slap by any decent side.
The teams to beat this year is GWS, WC, COLL & US.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I love 'The Means Test" with Cornesy.

Imagine how happy Parrott will be that we have injuries.
He will be froathing at the mouth.

• Haha

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Cornes can't pick his nose let alone pick who will win the flag.
Brisbane are one good slapping from capitulation.
Port are the same old port, feeding off the bottom sides then getting slap by any decent side.
thats my pre season top 4 & i have not wavered from that. Bris have also yet to travel & only decent side they beat is WCE who are as out of form as we have been. Port finally played a decent side & were found wanting which is no shock.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
thats my pre season top 4 & i have not wavered from that. Bris have also yet to travel & only decent side they beat is WCE who are as out of form as we have been. Port finally played a decent side & were found wanting which is no shock.

Jonesy, Brisbane were on the G in round 1in perfect conditions and the old codger's slapped them.
There's so many fake sides its ridiculous.
If we were in september 2017 form,
God help the opposition.
We would win the flag by 20 goals.

Brisbane are pissing me off. All of sudden old codger thinks he is a super coach. Im sorry to say but I'm going for Geelong on thurzdey night.
What happen to big bad busling Dixon this week? He is the shittest full forward ive seen. Reminds me the duds Sheedy would recruit O'Conner, Cummings, Barnard etc

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Jonesy, Brisbane were on the G in round 1in perfect conditions and the old codger's slapped them.
There's so many fake sides its ridiculous.
If we were in september 2017 form,
God help the opposition.
We would win the flag by 20 goals.

Brisbane are pissing me off. All of sudden old codger thinks he is a super coach. Im sorry to say but I'm going for Geelong on thurzdey night.
What happen to big bad busling Dixon this week? He is the shittest full forward ive seen. Reminds me the duds Sheedy would recruit O'Conner, Cummings, Barnard etc

Exactly Zips.

Gee Brisbane & their coach s##t me too.
Media kep talking them up. How if they kicked straight in the final against us who knows is the line they keep saying......

Its like saying if the Pies had beaten GWS they would have beaten us in the GF.

In the words of Zips'we would have slapped them too'.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Exactly Zips.

Gee Brisbane & their coach s##t me too.
Media kep talking them up. How if they kicked straight in the final against us who knows is the line they keep saying......

Its like saying if the Pies had beaten GWS they would have beaten us in the GF.

In the words of Zips'we would have slapped them too'.

Not really with the media. They have turned, when they mention Brisbane the first thing they bring up is the 6-0 6-0 exit last year.
I noticed that nearly every one that spoke of Brisbane last night, included the word "but" in there summary.
They aren't sure.

The best piece last night was OTC,
When they brought up Kelly.
Statements were flying around.
*Is he the cherry on the cake?
*does the team need to play well for him to play well?
*Is he capable of lifting when the team isn't firing?
*people forget, Geelong did finish on top last year.

Geelong are singing. Recruiting Kelly is equivalent to us giving away a first rounder for Pickett.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
How good is Luke Hodge to listen too, just like the footballers they were , absolute complete opposite to Cornes

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

Since we first made finals 7 years ago under Hardwick, there's been a clear top 5 clubs who stand head and shoulders above the rest:

Geelong
Hawthorn
Sydney
Richmond
West Coast

Then there's a pretty large gap until Adelaide, Port Adelaide, and Collingwood.

GWS only won 13 games last year and have never consistently been a top 4 football club in the past, and again they're not a top 4 club so far in 2020. They're a nothing club with no resources. Not a probable threat for mine. The draft pick hype is dead and that's all they had.

Collingwood enjoyed a boost to their performance by photocopying us after 2017 before Brisbane and others jumped onboard a year later. Unworthy clubs do sometimes win premiership (look at the Dogs), so they are a threat, but they're only a threat out of envy for how good we are.

I don't pay attention to WC. All I know about them is their coach is full of excuses like Brad Scott. In a pandemic, his excuses will be helpful to explain their poor start to the season, so the players will buy into it. So I think you're right, they could become a threat later in the year.

Brisbane and Geelong are both threats though IMO.

There has been a clear boost in performance to every club that copies our gameplan philosophy or relaxed attitude, and Brisbane have done both. But unlike Collingwood, they actually have a coach who isn't a total brick, so it's more genuine.

Brisbane also have the AFL's total praise behind them for Queensland's 2020 TV viewership shooting up like an Essendon player in a backyard shed. They were full of excuses before/after finals last year, which tells me they ramped up internal pressure for the finals and deviated from what works, which means they don't fully get the calm mindfulness stuff they seem to be copying and under pressure they revert back to more traditional methods that make it harder for their players. However, going out in straight sets last year means a finals win this year could basically fix that problem. From 2 attempts, a finals win could mean they'll be a young team who just proved their inner demons wrong, with the AFL's full support behind them, and every player is absolutely full of belief with no fear just 2-3 weeks before the Grand Final... so they've got the narrative, the gameplan, the AFL's evil tenticles at work, and the absence of a douchey coach. This makes Brisbane our number 1 threat IMO.

Ken Hinkley is capable of pulling off the caring stuff, but every year he screws it up with negativity when things go bad. I expect Port to collapse after a bad loss, or after the SA media returns to their normal later in the year, whichever comes first. There's just no reason for them to actually end up being better than every other team after all their years of consistent mediocrity.

In 2017, Richmond asked ourselves "Why not us?"... but in contrast, Port will be steering well clear of that question.

Now Geelong... Geelong have the most H&A wins over the past 7-8 years, so they've convinced themselves they're by far the best team in that time. They believe they're fully entitled to their reward. Of course, they're delusional. However, pigheaded self-centred beliefs can be a dangerous thing. The shorter matches + shorter season will help their older players get through the year in good shape. On paper they're still a threat, but at the end of the day they'll need more than a great ruck coach to get through the thickest head in football.

So at this stage I've got my eye on Brisbane, then Collingwood, and then Geelong... but more than that, for 2020 I'm expecting the unexpected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users