Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

So accurate. I cannopt listen to any Ch 7 commentator. Add the likes of Luke Darcy & Cameron Ling. They are all poor.

I don't even think kids are silly enough to buy the Ch 7 schtick.
BT. What a relic. A dumb, unprofessional hack. Get rid of him. And quite frankly they can get rid of Richo too. Offers nothing. Soft. Just sits on the fence with everything. Hodge can barely string two words together either. He can go as well.

Too many dumb ex footballers. Just get the most professional callers you can and then add one, articulate ex player to compliment them.

Reactions: 11 users
Having watched the Swans game last night I am more than ever convinced that much waning interest in AFL is fuelled by inane TV commentary.

Are Channel 7 out to destroy the game?

I just can't stomach listening to Brian Taylor or James Brayshaw for an instant and Channel 7's employment of Jobe Watson in any capacity is just baffling.

As a boy growing up I loved listening to commentators ( especially in Cricket) as I felt blessed overhearing the adult world that I would grow into. insight into tactics and anecdotal stories were a treasure.

Now I feel the commentary is aimed at children, who probably aren't listening anyway.
Brian Taylor can't possibly review his efforts like Roaming Brian last night and realise the flimsiness of his performance.
Sadly our own Richo has also descended to almost meaningless drivel.

All this hyperbole started with Rex Hunt imo and it's a pity that media think that this is what the listening audience wants.

Rant over!
Peter Landy was a bit of a goose but he was miles better than the likes of BT and Brayshaw. Lou Richards was stratospheres above.

Reactions: 5 users
I heard Phil Davis being interviewed yesterday. Pretty good. Get him in the booth more regularly for an ex player’s perspective. Articulate, no corny cliche footy reflections or descriptions of standard 101 footy tactics eg “get to the fall of the ball” etc. Instead, insightful modern day approach mixed in with his own thoughts on what works and why, and what doesn’t. No extremism or blokey bloke rubbish. Just calm, well thought out comments that are current and well explained. Can be a bit quirky so that might be annoying after a while, but geez he couldn’t be any worse than most other ex footballers in the media.

Reactions: 2 users
Biggest improvement in last couple of years is minimal involvement of Eddie McGuire. At least I’m not seeing his ugly mug or hearing his verbal diarrhoea so much.

Reactions: 1 user
BT. What a relic. A dumb, unprofessional hack. Get rid of him. And quite frankly they can get rid of Richo too. Offers nothing. Soft. Just sits on the fence with everything. Hodge can barely string two words together either. He can go as well.

Too many dumb ex footballers. Just get the most professional callers you can and then add one, articulate ex player to compliment them.
I cant stand BT as a commentator. Awful. But i am sure i have heard him speak out of the commentary box and be quite articulate and insightful. Why he has been set up to be the attempted Rex Hunt clone I have no idea.

Reactions: 4 users
I wish Kayo had the red mute button - only crowd noise, no umpires and no commentary

Reactions: 3 users

If only we could find the AFL equivalent of John Madden and Pat Summerall. The greatest.

Yep.
There's a quite a few that need to be upgraded
Healy
Brayshaw
Taylor
Russell
Darcy
They and others must be costing broadcasters an absolute mint.
Imagine how much better off the broadcast and us as viewers/listeners would be with professional commentators who actually are professionals. Instead of the half wits, dim wits and *smile* wits, pooncey boys, *smile* heads and dills we have to put up

You’d think businessmen ran these broadcasters. But it seems like fanboys do

I heard Phil Davis being interviewed yesterday. Pretty good. Get him in the booth more regularly for an ex player’s perspective. Articulate, no corny cliche footy reflections or descriptions of standard 101 footy tactics eg “get to the fall of the ball” etc.
My drinking game is to have a sip everytime I hear any cliche variation of "forward just needs to compete and bring ball to ground for his crumbers."

Always sh**faced by 1/2 time. Which is good to get me through the second 1/2.

• Haha
I didn’t mind Peter Donegan, either. The likes of BT and Brayshaw need to be gone. They add nothing to the game and don’t even call it for large amounts of the time.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn’t mind Peter Donegan, either. The likes of BT and Brayshaw need to be gone. They add nothing to the game and don’t even call it for large amounts of the time.
Peter Donegan top commentator.
The blokes that called VFL games
Stand out to me as quality commentators.

Do you remember that night the umpires gave Adelaide 3 free kicks in the last 2 minutes to get them over the line against Fitzroy?
Peter McKenna 'This is murder,'
He called it as he saw it.
A real commentator

Reactions: 1 users