Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Having watched the Swans game last night I am more than ever convinced that much waning interest in AFL is fuelled by inane TV commentary.

Are Channel 7 out to destroy the game?

I just can't stomach listening to Brian Taylor or James Brayshaw for an instant and Channel 7's employment of Jobe Watson in any capacity is just baffling.

As a boy growing up I loved listening to commentators ( especially in Cricket) as I felt blessed overhearing the adult world that I would grow into. insight into tactics and anecdotal stories were a treasure.

Now I feel the commentary is aimed at children, who probably aren't listening anyway.
Brian Taylor can't possibly review his efforts like Roaming Brian last night and realise the flimsiness of his performance.
Sadly our own Richo has also descended to almost meaningless drivel.

All this hyperbole started with Rex Hunt imo and it's a pity that media think that this is what the listening audience wants.

Rant over!
That's easy to explain when Daddy is a long time employee of the station.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The standard of the commentary stands out bigtime when you watch any old game back.
Give this a go at 1:20

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Roll on 2025 and don't have to listen to 7 for live games
Same as last night Got the game Muted listening to Classic Rock Digital

Reactions: 1 users

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
The Captain and the Major……..”Bartlett has spun around and kicked a ……goalllllll…..three minutes to go, the Tigers have hit the front……3KZ isssssss football”…..

Great excitement, no crap….. great commentary!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I really only watch our games properly, but on Saturday evening they continually get making references to Campbell going to Tassie when they enter. Do they do this with other sides that have Tasmanian players? Along with the highlighting of the idiot who brought the Dusty cut out with the Suns jumper, I found it offensive towards our supporters. I fear Jack’s going to end up as another Richo and scared to speak positively about us or defend us because it will be perceived as bias.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I'm quite shocked considering how shitt we played, the media has largely left us alone.
I have no idea what happened in the first half Zips, let’s put it down to an abhorration for the moment. After halftime we were ok until we ran out of legs at the end.

Strange things happen in round 1.

If it happens again this week I am sure the media will catch up

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It's amazing how little they (the likes of korn, kermit, morris, mclure, edmund, darcy etc) impact your mood when you stop listening to them.

Every time I go back to SEN or 360 I get frustrated, so I try and avoid.

I didn't watch hardwick's presser after their win and I won't watch any of his pressers this year.

PRE is much more informative and entertaining.

Reactions: 9 users

thegeneral01

Tiger Cub
Nov 18, 2010
Was watching last 10 minutes of Giants vs Pies and the commentary team was literally talking up the historic moment that for the first time ever, Gold Coast will end the round in first place on the ladder. No mention at all that more than half the teams hadn’t even played yet. There is your standard of AFL media in a nutshell.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I have no idea what happened in the first half Zips, let’s put it down to an abhorration for the moment. After halftime we were ok until we ran out of legs at the end.

The psychology of playing in arvo at Metricon in 27 degrees as round 0 then having to back up 5 days later in a blockbuster at the G. That’s my get out

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It's amazing how little they (the likes of korn, kermit, morris, mclure, edmund, darcy etc) impact your mood when you stop listening to them.

Every time I go back to SEN or 360 I get frustrated, so I try and avoid.

I didn't watch hardwick's presser after their win and I won't watch any of his pressers this year.

PRE is much more informative and entertaining.
Totally agree.

I don’t listen to them, watch them on tv and even if I watch a match live I turn the commentary off mostly.

Every now and again something will come up on a social media feed and that’s about it

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I thought jack did well in his first outing. He's a natural and I can see him becoming one of the game's most sought after pundit.

Last edited:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I really only watch our games properly, but on Saturday evening they continually get making references to Campbell going to Tassie when they enter. Do they do this with other sides that have Tasmanian players? Along with the highlighting of the idiot who brought the Dusty cut out with the Suns jumper, I found it offensive towards our supporters. I fear Jack’s going to end up as another Richo and scared to speak positively about us or defend us because it will be perceived as bias.
Agree with that. Quite pathetic from Huddo I think it was.

We had momentum until the flogs took over. Broad's step back in the goals free stuffed it all up.