Footy Show | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy Show

Tigers of Old said:
What's the consensus?
Has it improved any?

Backwards at a rate of knots. The first 15 minutes was some of the most unfunny TV I have ever seen. Cring worthy. So many missed punchlines. Bad delivery, bad acting, bad writing.

Before the game, cleary the best football variety show on TV.

Have to admit, its just about all over for Sam Newman. Its really only his purposeful indiscretions and subsequent noteriety that keeps him on there. Otherwise, his age has caught up with him in terms of being an entertaining media personality.

He’s gotta be one of the lamest blokes on tv at the moment. Nothing is natural anymore. Its all staged, contrived, boring, limp sight-gag stuff. Struggling big time is ‘ol Sam.

The Footy Show would have been better giving him the flick and going with Bill Brownless.

Not funny and a bit disorganised.... if we have to see blokes dance around in their undies, at least make them worth looking at... I still get a laugh at that hairy chinese bloke though... no matter how many times they flog him...

Thought the show was very patchy. Brayshaw used the expression "grinding the gears" at one stage when the comedy wasn't working. I thought that, at least, was brutally honest. I like street talk and am not a Sam h8ter like many here. My opinion was that the guests were terrible and boring, that includes Fevola, Cooney and Brownless. The constant references to host Lyon as being "hairy" and asking him to sing seemed awkward and the audience didn't laugh at all.
I wish they had gone on a full-on campaign to overhaul the show. It felt re-cycled, not updated.

Needs more serious talk bout football, Sam finds it really uncomfortable to be serious

Maybe they should have a segment devoted to football, ie no Sam in that part

I know this is kinda contradicting what I've just said but they also need to get Crutchy back next to Sam again
Love it when Sam pays out on Crutchy, cause he can't take it and that just eggs Sam on even more

SCOOP said:
Backwards at a rate of knots. The first 15 minutes was some of the most unfunny TV I have ever seen. Cring worthy. So many missed punchlines. Bad delivery, bad acting, bad writing.

Yup and I turned it off after those first 15 minutes.

SCOOP said:

Before the game, cleary the best football variety show on TV.

Disappointing.
I thought when they announced that they were getting rid of Trev that they'd take the opportunity to overhaul it completely.
Seems they have missed that boat. It's difficult whilst Newman remains. Ch9 defo overrate him these days.

AFter all the time thay have had to revamp this show you would have thought they would have come up with something better.Woeful

mb64 said:
AFter all the time thay have had to revamp this show you would have thought they would have come up with something better.Woeful

Haven't watched it yet, it's no longer a must watch live show. Just a tape in case anything interesting happened. Dissapointing if changes have been minimal. They needed to completely change everything, more than just the set (even that looked shocking as i saw a few mins of it).

If they are regurgitating old jokes like how hairy Lyon is in the first episode already they are really shooting themselves in the foot. They need to start fresh, new talent, new segments, new comedy, hell....new host/hosts. Lyon/Bradshaw/Newman has never worked for me since they started the combination.

Dyer Disciple said:
Haven't watched it yet, it's no longer a must watch live show. Just a tape in case anything interesting happened. Dissapointing if changes have been minimal. They needed to completely change everything, more than just the set (even that looked shocking as i saw a few mins of it).

If they are regurgitating old jokes like how hairy Lyon is in the first episode already they are really shooting themselves in the foot. They need to start fresh, new talent, new segments, new comedy, hell....new host/hosts. Lyon/Bradshaw/Newman has never worked for me since they started the combination.

Yep they'll probably do the way overdoen chief routine every single episode this year again.

Redford said:
Have to admit, its just about all over for Sam Newman. Its really only his purposeful indiscretions and subsequent noteriety that keeps him on there. Otherwise, his age has caught up with him in terms of being an entertaining media personality.

He’s gotta be one of the lamest blokes on tv at the moment. Nothing is natural anymore. Its all staged, contrived, boring, limp sight-gag stuff. Struggling big time is ‘ol Sam.

The Footy Show would have been better giving him the flick and going with Bill Brownless.

I agree. Sam's jokes seem forced. I remember the nights when Billy was the replacement that there was more serious footy chat and funnier at times. I think the time is up on Sam and I love the show. But sometimes I just tune out when Sam talks. I admit when he did serious interviews and when he talks about football he actually seems sane and smart but the other crap he does should just go.

I'll wait till the season starts before I give up on the show.

Last nights show was flat but that reflects the pre-season competition in general this year.

What the biggest footy story of the week was about a player manager.... big deal!

Bring on round 1!

Given up on the Footy show - its seems to become more tired each year, same old same old.

Brayshaw doesn't have the smarts to get into any depth discussion and lead the debate, Lyon can but eveyone else - yawn.

Eddie as host used to drive me crazy with all the collingwood crap - but in hindsight, he wasn't that bad comparing to what we have now.

year of the tiger said:
Given up on the Footy show - its seems to become more tired each year, same old same old.

Brayshaw doesn't have the smarts to get into any depth discussion and lead the debate, Lyon can but eveyone else - yawn.

Eddie as host used to drive me crazy with all the collingwood crap - but in hindsight, he wasn't that bad comparing to what we have now.
No doubt Eddie was a better host

TigerForce said:
Different settings and no Trev.
Same boring, childish and amateur acting.

I like watching the NRL Footy Show because they discuss serious issues in a more professional way.

Very ordinary but Adam Cooney is a natural.
I sat up and watched the NRL. Don't know if it was the time of night but even Russell Crowe was making sense :)
They had real player panels, (not players showing the premiershipcup for 10 minutes) Refs, Benji Marshall all good viewing. NRL 6 AFL 3

The Footy Show makes me cringe- the jokes are like fingernails running down a blackboard. The NRL Footy Show was definately better viewing, and I don't fully understand the game!

Will watch a few more to give it a chance but it would need to improve markedly on last night. New year new season same cr@p.

year of the tiger said:

I agree, eddie had a way of being serious when it needed to be and sam would never interupt. GL & JB don't have that control which i think the show needs.