Fraser Turner | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fraser Turner

caesar said:
How was his kicking?, in the last of the VFL practice matches he got plenty of ball but his kicking was terrible.
Sure you were watching the right 28 in the intra club , there was a vfl player in that number too , he’s a bloody good kick

BillyJean17 said:
Sure you were watching the right 28 in the intra club , there was a vfl player in that number too , he’s a bloody good kick
I’m a big Turner fan, however he defiantly had the wrong kicking boots on that day , especially early

Billy Jean is correct, the intra game the number 28 was shared by two players. From watching Turner’s u18 highlights and the intra game I have a gut feeling he will be a regular senior player in the future. See him as a long term replacement for Grigg

BillyJean17 said:

It wasn't an intra club it was against another VFL side and yes it was Turner, I know his profile says he has good skills so probably just an off day which is why I was asking specifically how he went on the weekend in that department.

Here is a quote about his under 18 championships also :

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/fraser-turner/

"His kicking efficiency at the National Under 18 Championships did not do him justice, recording a 50 per cent efficiency from his nine kicks per game average. He is more effective than the statistics show, while his hands in traffic are clean, finishing the championships with almost a 90 per cent efficiency by hand".

Maybe his kicking efficiency did not do him justice the day I saw him too.

caesar said:
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/fraser-turner/

"His kicking efficiency at the National Under 18 Championships did not do him justice, recording a 50 per cent efficiency from his nine kicks per game average.

Draft central painting a *smile* yellow n trying to sell it as gold.

Know nothing about Fraser and haven't seen him play, but if your kicking efficiency during several games of footy is 50% then that's what it is.
Kid might hit 95% at training or during a restricted " skills " session at the combine but that's entirely different to the heat of match contest.

TigerMasochist said:
Draft central painting a *smile* yellow n trying to sell it as gold.

Know nothing about Fraser and haven't seen him play, but if your kicking efficiency during several games of footy is 50% then that's what it is.
Kid might hit 95% at training or during a restricted " skills " session at the combine but that's entirely different to the heat of match contest.

Praccie games I saw he was hitting every target even under pressure. I guess we just have to wait and see.

tigerlove said:
Praccie games I saw he was hitting every target even under pressure. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Happy to hear that TL

caesar said:
Happy to hear that TL

Saw the game you saw Caesar. Kicking was atrocious. Missed several goals and several targets from close range but could be fatigue and disorientation over new game plan.
Great to hear it hadn’t been mentioned as a concern in recent conversations although club probably wouldn’t communicate it.

I’m very confident this kid will be a 10 year AFL player, just seems to have it from what I’ve seen, some players just know how to find the footy and he has it, can see him getting games this year due to the fact his bulked up considerably

Fraser was interviewed before the game last night at 3121 and mentioned the boys have given him the nickname "G-Train"

This draft is looking very promising... Stack, Ross and Turner. I reckon RCD will deliver too.

Found this thread on page 3 somewhere. This from the VFL game review. Fraser is tracking extremely well.

25 disposals, nine handball receives, six inside-50s & three rebound-50s
“Continues his good form at VFL level—25 disposals, 10 contested (possessions) which is a real highlight, six inside-50s. He’s playing great footy; I think he’s looking more like an AFL player every week.”

Good news TL.

The rise of Naish and the rise of Turner will have big implications on the future at Tigerland of both Markov and Menadue.

craig said:
Good news TL.

The rise of Naish and the rise of Turner will have big implications on the future at Tigerland of both Markov and Menadue.
Not yet.

Naish and Turner are still a fair way off. Their physicality is nowhere near AFL level. Very outside even at VFL level.

spook said:
Not yet.

Naish and Turner are still a fair way off. Their physicality is nowhere near AFL level. Very outside even at VFL level.

I thought Turner applied himself very well in the pre-season games and definitely managed plenty of hard ball gets. A lot more ready in that area than Naish was in his first season. But I agree there's no rush to bring them in just yet. Keep applying their trade, learning the game plan and improve their consistency at VFL level. Tigers are 2 games clear in the reserves so these guys are holding the fort really well.

I watched him closely on Saturday. I was excited to see him play, as I talked him up over the pre-season after seeing him train.

I don't want to be unfairly critical, but I was left a little disappointed. A number of kicks were panicked, lacking composure. Some ending up being dribblers.

He is a very young first year player, so happy to keep talking him up. He is a great size and finds the footy. I am confident he will be a very good player. But I don't expect anything this year. He could easily do a Naish next year after his second pre-season and come out and dominate. Unlike Naish however, if he steps it up next year he won't be held back because of his size.

TigerFlag2017 said:
I watched him closely on Saturday. I was excited to see him play, as I talked him up over the pre-season after seeing him train.

I don't want to be unfairly critical, but I was left a little disappointed. A number of kicks were panicked, lacking composure. Some ending up being dribblers.

He is a very young first year player, so happy to keep talking him up. He is a great size and finds the footy. I am confident he will be a very good player. But I don't expect anything this year. He could easily do a Naish next year after his second pre-season and come out and dominate. Unlike Naish however, if he steps it up next year he won't be held back because of his size.

Fair assessment!

Great comeback by Turner after injury in the reserves. Had very little game time first quarter but then racked up 26 disposals for the game. Won't get a run at AFL level this year but am excited to see him do another pre-season and push for a spot next year.

Reactions: 8 users