G20 protests/APEC | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

G20 protests/APEC

Re: G20 protests

tigersnake said:
Sorry I'm crap on the quoternator
first para, regardless of what the protest did or didn't do, craigs post was over the top drivel, it annoyed me.
If the protester didn't spell their cause out, thats poor protesting. As for why do it at a G20 summit, I thought that would be obvious. Its when the honchos of rich countries governments get together for a pow wow.
Re wearing masks, fair point. Dunno about a majority, a lot were though. Still, taking on a police line even with a mask is not something I personally would like to do.Re the Fitzroys legal service, you're probably right.
The thing about protesting is that if you don't get angry, attract TV, show that you feel strongly, nobody takes any notice. If you stand around holding signs behind the police barriers miles from the event in an orderly fashion, where's the News interest?

Tigersnake,
That's the point though.....WHY did they have to take on the police line?
Did the police charge them first with an unprovoked attack on their peaceful protest?

Many of these protesters wouldn't have a bloody clue what G20 even is, and they saw this as a chance, and an avenue, to vent some mindless destruction and anti-social behaviour on the public, the community, and the police.

If out of all the mayhem and vandalism that was conducted, a couple of protesters ended up with some superficial wounds, then they should really thank themselves lucky they live in Australia and that's all they got, as they wouldn't have walked away so easily if a similar protest was staged in China, Korea, or Iran.

Tigers of Old said:
jb03 said:
tigersnake said:
jb03 said:
tigersnake said:
craig said:
i woulda made dog meat of any of these weak arsed, good for nothing morons had i been a copper with a baton.

If there is one I can't stand its flawed logic. Now Craig. Stop and have a think. I know its hard work but give it a berl for once. Regards to calling the protesters 'weak-arsed'. Whether or not you believe in the protesters cause is completely irrelevant, likewise whether or not you agree with their tactics is also completley irrelevant. What can't be denied is that it takes some knackers to take on mounted baton-wielding coppers for a cause you believe in.

Remind me what the cause was that day snake.

The way I understand it, anti-globalisation is the broad term for it, but its more to do with exposing corrupt networking between governments and corporations that mainipulate markets that keep the poor poor and the rich rich.

But the point I was making jb, whether you or I agree with that cause is irrelevant to Craig's over-the-top rant. You can attack the cause all you want on its merits, I've got no problems with that at all, but to just write off everyone who doesn't agree with you or you don't like as 'weak' is juvenile. It would be similarly juvenile for one of the protesters to label all the cops who had to deal with it as weak.

If protesters somewhere used similar tactics for a cause craig believed in, I dunno the anti Pinko League or something, I'm sure theyd be labelled as brave freedom fighters.

Craig can answer on his own behalf but I believe in this case the protestors did more harm for their 'cause' than good. For starters, their actual cause was never spelt out. If you are want to expose corrupt networking between governments and corporations that manipulate markets that keep the poor poor and the rich rich, then why do it at a G20 summit? They should be staging a permanent protest as this alleged sin doesn't simply occur at intermittent intervals throughout any given year.

Further, by the majority wearing masks it signals that the protestor is not serious at all about a cause but simply rather wants to exercise an opportunity to inflict some damage without fear of reprisal. That act alone could be deemed weak or soft IMO. If you believe in a cause why act anonymously?

The police's response on the day, which was shown by the majority of the footage to be timid and non violent actually became a PR win for the police. This latest action by the Fitzroy legal services will engender further much needed good will for the police force.

Some of your better work.

Who's posting for you jimmy barnes? ;)

Someone must have highjacked my computer - sorry about that, I was having a 'serious moment'. I'll slip back into my usual one line, monsyllabic word posts now - a la ToO!

jb03 said:
Someone must have highjacked my computer - sorry about that, I was having a 'serious moment'. I'll slip back into my usual one line, monsyllabic word posts now - a la ToO!

That's more like it but I think you're referring to monosyllabic64. ;D

Tigers of Old said:
jb03 said:

That's more like it but I think you're referring to monosyllabic64. ;D

I agree, good post and well said.

tigersnake said:

first para, regardless of what the protest did or didn't do, craigs post was over the top drivel, it annoyed me.

If the protester didn't spell their cause out, thats poor protesting. As for why do it at a G20 summit, I thought that would be obvious. Its when the honchos of rich countries governments get together for a pow wow.

Re wearing masks, fair point. Dunno about a majority, a lot were though. Still, taking on a police line even with a mask is not something I personally would like to do.

Re the Fitzroys legal service, you're probably right.

The thing about protesting is that if you don't get angry, attract TV, show that you feel strongly, nobody takes any notice. If you stand around holding signs behind the police barriers miles from the event in an orderly fashion, where's the News interest?

Take em all on snake. It is a good cause that a punch of soft *smiles* ruined. The police were hopeless too. A small group of C grade anarchists made them look like a bunch of rabid dogs on tight leashes. Thank Allah that they didn't get loose.

tigersnake said:
jb03 said:
tigersnake said:
craig said:
i woulda made dog meat of any of these weak arsed, good for nothing morons had i been a copper with a baton.

If there is one I can't stand its flawed logic. Now Craig. Stop and have a think. I know its hard work but give it a berl for once. Regards to calling the protesters 'weak-arsed'. Whether or not you believe in the protesters cause is completely irrelevant, likewise whether or not you agree with their tactics is also completley irrelevant. What can't be denied is that it takes some knackers to take on mounted baton-wielding coppers for a cause you believe in.

Remind me what the cause was that day snake.

The way I understand it, anti-globalisation is the broad term for it, but its more to do with exposing corrupt networking between governments and corporations that mainipulate markets that keep the poor poor and the rich rich.

But the point I was making jb, whether you or I agree with that cause is irrelevant to Craig's over-the-top rant. You can attack the cause all you want on its merits, I've got no problems with that at all, but to just write off everyone who doesn't agree with you or you don't like as 'weak' is juvenile. It would be similarly juvenile for one of the protesters to label all the cops who had to deal with it as weak.

If protesters somewhere used similar tactics for a cause craig believed in, I dunno the anti Pinko League or something, I'm sure theyd be labelled as brave freedom fighters.
this should be in the soft thread.^^^^

ssstone said:

I reckon your posts should be in a redneck bogan thread. For some reason though the thread titles are "racial tolerance" and "G20 protests" and "Talking Politics"...

Gypsy__Jazz said:
Take em all on snake. It is a good cause that a punch of soft *smiles* ruined. The police were hopeless too. A small group of C grade anarchists made them look like a bunch of rabid dogs on tight leashes. Thank Allah that they didn't get loose.

Gypsy,
Just wondering how you came to the conclusion that the police were "rabid dogs on leashes"?
I'm tipping the police had more injuries than the protesters, the police-horses had more injuries than the protesters, and more property was damaged by the protesters than by the police.
Yet you decide to attack the police?
Where did you get that idea from....read it in the "Left-wingers for Dummies" manual? :hihi

Liverpool said:
tigersnake said:
Re wearing masks, fair point. Dunno about a majority, a lot were though. Still, taking on a police line even with a mask is not something I personally would like to do.Re the Fitzroys legal service, you're probably right.

Tigersnake,
That's the point though.....WHY did they have to take on the police line?
Did the police charge them first with an unprovoked attack on their peaceful protest?

Many of these protesters wouldn't have a bloody clue what G20 even is, and they saw this as a chance, and an avenue, to vent some mindless destruction and anti-social behaviour on the public, the community, and the police.

If out of all the mayhem and vandalism that was conducted, a couple of protesters ended up with some superficial wounds, then they should really thank themselves lucky they live in Australia and that's all they got, as they wouldn't have walked away so easily if a similar protest was staged in China, Korea, or Iran.

Hi caramba liverpool I think we might actual;ly agree on something. Definately lucky they live in Australia, a great country. But to me thats the point, people are able to protest here, its what makes this country great. If extremists like craig who would apparently shoot anyone whose cuase conflicted with his was in the chair, we'd then be just like those countries you mention.

As for why they had to break the line, like I said, thats the nature of protesting. You have to get the attention of the people who actually control what you think is wrong. Make sure the Presidents and PMs know that your unhappy with how they are going about it. If they all stand behind a barricade 3 blocks away singing kum by ah, nobody cares.

If the Premier suddenly passed laws that the RFC had to have John Elliot as Pres and CEO, and change our colours to pink and beige, and any concerned barrackers could protest peacefully in a designated carpark in Keysborough, what would you do? I for one would be trying to get in the premiers face to let him know I was extremely unhappy.

TigerGoneNorth said:
Why? Because they are low scum who actually don't represent a legitimate view on the topic - they just want to vent their frustration at the fact that their lives are rubbish.

horseshit, why don't you just don the jackboots TGN? You'll feel better.

tigersnake said:
Hi caramba liverpool I think we might actual;ly agree on something. Definately lucky they live in Australia, a great country. But to me thats the point, people are able to protest here, its what makes this country great.

Tigersnake,
I have no problem with people protesting.
That is one of the privileges with living in a place like Australia.
So I agree with you on this point, and have since the start of this thread.

tigersnake said:
As for why they had to break the line, like I said, thats the nature of protesting. You have to get the attention of the people who actually control what you think is wrong. Make sure the Presidents and PMs know that your unhappy with how they are going about it. If they all stand behind a barricade 3 blocks away singing kum by ah, nobody cares.

If the Premier suddenly passed laws that the RFC had to have John Elliot as Pres and CEO, and change our colours to pink and beige, and any concerned barrackers could protest peacefully in a designated carpark in Keysborough, what would you do? I for one would be trying to get in the premiers face to let him know I was extremely unhappy.

But this is where you lose me.
What you are condoning now isn't protesting, but violence and destruction.
If these people need to resort to such tactics to have their point heard, or to let the public know more about what they are protesting about, then they are certainly going about it the wrong way.
Yes, they got people's attention and got a lot of media attention by their random vandalism and violence, but how many people now are either against them...or even worse, against their cause....due to their own actions?

How many new supporters would they have gained by smashing police vans, throwing wheelie-bins, attacking police horses, and assaulting police officers?
Not many, I would think.

If anything, they are worse off now than before they started, but like I stated earlier...many "protesting" couldn't give a stuff about G20 or S11 or anything, but saw this as a chance and an opportunity to cause some anarchy, and with some luck, get the chance to file a lawsuit against the Victoria Police, with the reward being $$$.

Gypsy__Jazz said:
ssstone said:

I reckon your posts should be in a redneck bogan thread. For some reason though the thread titles are "racial tolerance" and "G20 protests" and "Talking Politics"...
ah gypsy did your teachers teach you those big words?? :rofl :rofl :rofl19 years of age and knows it all,typical lefty loon response to resort to childish name calling .you did miss a word in your diatribe though RACIST.or were you holding that back 4 later on ?? :rotfl can you please define bogan for me ??i wouldnt want to miss your juvinile intentions :wave

I can't remember who wrote s-s-s-single bed, was it Lena Lovich? I hate that, it'll come to me in the middle of the night.

tigersnake said:
I can't remember who wrote s-s-s-single bed, was it Lena Lovich? I hate that, it'll come to me in the middle of the night.

I think it was Fox and was found on Ripper '76 or Ripper '77.

Thats it jb! And Lena Lovich sang Lucky Number, I remember it now. I've got both those Rippers on vinyl, songlists written on arse cheeks, one was black pen on white arse, the other was white pen on black arse, that is real art, tremendous

Liverpool said:
How many new supporters would they have gained by smashing police vans, throwing wheelie-bins, attacking police horses, and assaulting police officers?
Not many, I would think.

As soon as someone resorts to violence to promote their cause they have zero credibility.
That's not protesting, that's anarchy.

Even if it's a small group that's independent of the organisers of the protest, they taint the entire mob's message with such idiotic behavior.