Game Day AFLW Round 5 - Richmond v Geelong: somewhere beyond civilisation as we know it | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day AFLW Round 5 - Richmond v Geelong: somewhere beyond civilisation as we know it

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Sat down with my 9 year old daughter and watched it.
She was stoked to see Katie slot the final goal.
Was great.
Go tiges!!

Reactions: 3 users

backpocketplumber

Tiger Rookie
May 19, 2014
I was not able to see any of the game but I read the headline on the site that shall not be named. First Richmond win crushing the cats.....I cracked the biggest smile and shed a little tear. Very proud of our ladies.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well, if you're going to win, do it properly - kept the opposition scoreless in the first half, weathered the opposition coming back at us and actually won the third quarter against play, ran out the game and won by 47 points.

Well done.

We've been getting better every week against the good teams. I was a bit nervous as I knew this was the big chance to win one against lesser opposition, but they stuck to the game plan and won easily.

The team seem to have a strategy this year and in comparison, last year they seemed to have little in the way of a game plan.

Big improvements this week from a few players.

Conti was her usual self, her evasiveness is fantastic, just runs around everyone else.

McKenzie shows what a football background means - it means the ability to see what is about to happen. That intercept mark and goal was pure anticipation, she just knew where the ball was about to go.

Fredericks a lot better. Doing things which don't require pace and seemed a little more physical than recently, that is her advantage and she needs to use it.

Wakefield and Brennan were a threat up forward, Cordner was great down back and contributors all over the ground.

They have improved out of sight since round 1. Handballs out of packs are going to Richmond team mates, not straight to the opposition. They have options, players are presenting, players are in the right place, we were consistently outnumbering the opposition at the ball, players going in hard to win the ball or tackle.

We have the potential to cause a few problems for the rest of the season and then improve over the next few years.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I must be invested because I even have a whipping girl: how the hell Sophie Molan was seen as - what? - the 7th best girl in the draft? - is beyond me. Slow, hesitant, and about as athletic as your nan after her second hip replacement.
I think it was Zips who called her our female JON. Oddly tonight was probably her best game.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Onya girls!

I must be invested because I even have a whipping girl: how the hell Sophie Molan was seen as - what? - the 7th best girl in the draft? - is beyond me. Slow, hesitant, and about as athletic as your nan after her second hip replacement.

:rotfl2

Whipping girls

Great signs indeed.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Well done ladies. McKenzie almost as good to watch Dusty. As a pure mover has plenty of the men covered. That was just about the most exhilarating rendition of Tigerland of all time.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I posted a while ago, somewhat tongue in cheek, that watching the girls filled me with a form of nostalgia for the bad old days of the '00s.

For most of my 30 odd years watching Richmond, the greatest joy I've experienced was in singing the song during a regular old home and away.

The extremity of a premiership is still new. I love it, and crave it, but it has slightly diminished the joy of an in season win.

Having watched pretty much every game these girls have played, I felt the genuine elation at finally getting the W.
No pretense. No "the job isn't finished yet". No "just bag the four points". Just a win. It felt like footy. Almost more than the dreamstate that has been the last 4 years.

A big point of difference between the girls now, and the boys then, is that these girls are actually good.

We have one of the best midfields in the comp. Seymour, Conti, McKenzie is as good as you can get. Brancatisano and Hosking are good footballers. And we play for each other like the men do.

MIller and Cordner might be the best defensive pair in the comp. Though there's not much else back there. Chuot and Monahan are not the answer.

And Brennan and Wakefield are a great combo forward, while Stahl can be handy.

This is a good side that's been unlucky to not have won a few more against great competition.

Reactions: 6 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
I'm starting to enjoy the women's game now than when the AFLW started, with Richmond now playing and the skills improvement being shown.

To help promote it as a unique sport, I wish the commentators would try and avoid referring to the other sports the players are migrating from. (Looking at you Kelli!) Eg "<Insert name> the basketballer dodges ... and sets up...the ex table tennis champion.."

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
To help promote it as a unique sport, I wish the commentators would try and avoid referring to the other sports the players are migrating from. (Looking at you Kelli!) Eg "<Insert name> the basketballer dodges ... and sets up...the ex table tennis champion.."
I'm still hoping to hear "Stahl, convicted bank robbery getaway car driver, crashes the pack and gets caught holding the ball"

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Great to get w number 1 - well done to the team.

4 games left - lolnorf, saints, should be a chance, doggies tougher so not sure who else we will play - Adelaide maybe given the WA border restrictions - how does the roster work?

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
Very enjoyable. Not only seeing the girls' improve and win, but that they are trying to play their footy and go about it in the Richmond way. Small example, but listening to Katie Brennan being interviewed after the game, you'd be excused for thinking it was Cotch speaking - said all the right things and demonstrated all the right values.

Reactions: 4 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Great to see Sabrina play in front for a change. Even better seeing Brennan used up the field more.
great reward for effort for the girls. Thoroughly enjoyed the match.

Reactions: 3 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I just wish they'd *smile* Kelli Underwood off altogether. It's an insult to the girls that her & Brad Johnson are commentating.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Oh poor old chrissy scott, he was like a Rooster yesterday.
Watching Novak pretend he was coming back from an injury and a bloke that moved there because he was promised a boat.
Good luck beating us.