Game Day - Dreamtime at the G - Dusty 298th Game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Dreamtime at the G - Dusty 298th Game

A few guys who are battling to establish themselves were ordinary.
I think of that group of 5 or 6, they will all either not make it or be average players. And that doesn't make me angry, it doesn't make me want to sack anyone or get outraged, its just the situation we're in.

Reactions: 3 users
Disappointed with Ryan far too easily pushed out of contest just can’t hold his ground
We played a drinking game based on having one for every occasion he ended up on his arse after any ruck or marking contest…. expensive night!

Reactions: 1 users
I want to know if the “back to the 9 metres” is actually a rule. Once last week and one tonight with the umpire not even saying “back to the 9”. Just blew the whistle and paid the 50. I was sick of hearing the umpires saying it but now I wish they would. 50m for that is just anti-football, it’s a joke.

A major major factor in the last quarter was Nick Hind. Can’t believe nobody has mentioned this. He went ballistic on the Southern wing.

15 disposals in the 4th quarter. 11 kicks and 5 handballs. 3 marks.

Who was playing on hm ?

Reactions: 4 users
I want to know if the “back to the 9 metres” is actually a rule. Once last week and one tonight with the umpire not even saying “back to the 9”. Just blew the whistle and paid the 50. I was sick of hearing the umpires saying it but now I wish they would. 50m for that is just anti-football, it’s a joke.

The Cumberland one was definitely there. The rule is you can't go within 9m. Cumbo was outside the 9m when the mark was taken and went inside the 9m, ie. he went ahead of it, like creeping the mark. You can creep the mark around the ground easier, as there isn't a line. Trying to do it in the goal square is plain idiocy. They all know the rule and Cumbo was dumb enough to play into it.

Tonight was a really good effort IMO. Defence looks much better with Balta back there. We do need a tall forward, but I'd prefer to give Kosi a try up forward and leave Balta back, his long kicking is really important, we've struggled to break through the press the last few weeks which has resulted in numerous defensive half turnovers which lead to goals, Balta can break over the press.

Campbell on the wing was also a big tick for me (we had Kmac, Hugo and Seth rotating the wings), was very good, as was Hugo, though as Redford says, Hind is an endurance beast and was excellent throughout the last quarter.

Cumberland - what is there to say. Was bad bad bad tonight. Constantly played behind his man, people will say "well he got a few tackles", thats usually the case when you let your man play in front of you and you come into the contest behind them. I think the writing was on the wall in the 1st quarter, when he did just that, Ridley beat him to the ball and ran (not sprinted) forward with it, only with Cumbo trailing him in a jog. This guy is supposed to be playing for his future and numerous times was just jogging behind. I actually said to my daughter, I think the quickest I saw him run was when he was running to the bench for an interchange.

Dow - Tried hard, but he's just not that good. Short loopy kicks most of the time when he kicks forward, generally not really directed towards anyone. Again wins the ball fairly well at clearance, but when he wins it and kicks it forward I'd love to know what our ball retention rate is, I'd hazard a guess and say low.

Short - My god. How far this guy has fallen, his kicking has dropped to potentially 1 of the worst in our team. Personally would drop him and give Smith a few games, Short can get his confidence and form back in the 2's.

Ryan - A big disappointment tonight, doesn't seem to have bulked up at all from last season and certainly doesn't have anymore core strength.

Green - Nice cameo, looked to play the ball through the corridor, I want to see more of him.

Shai - Was electric. It was evident at the ground when he was resting forward, no zip, no evasiveness in our midfield. Will be a massive miss for us next week.

Dusty - Was good, much prefer him forward of the ball these days. Went in the midfield for a bit, but did his damage forward of centre and definitely in the F50.

I left the ground content and laughing that the Bombers fans actually seem to think they are some sort of chance this year.

Reactions: 11 users
The Cumberland one was definitely there. The rule is you can't go within 9m. Cumbo was outside the 9m when the mark was taken and went inside the 9m, ie. he went ahead of it, like creeping the mark. You can creep the mark around the ground easier, as there isn't a line. Trying to do it in the goal square is plain idiocy. They all know the rule and Cumbo was dumb enough to play into it.
Yes I know it was technically there. But is it a written rule or just something they pay for convenience. If there was no back to the 9 rule then cumbo wasn’t over the mark, that was inside the square where he ran to. Does this “rule” make the game better, does it speed up the game or does it just clear the ball outside the 50m arc and make the game flow more. Players are all out of position once a 50 is paid and the attacking team always seem to score. I am so sick of 50m being paid for indiscretions that are not footballing actions, rather pedantic rules that give u,pores a sense of invincibility. The game is mucked when 50 m penalties are paid cos you moved on the mark, or you stand the mark but you have to move back to the nine, or the wrong player stands the mark, or you don’t obey the 6-6-6 rule, or you deign to disagree with the dumbpires, and the list just gets long and longer. I AM OVER It.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes I know it was technically there. But is it a written rule or just something they pay for convenience. If there was no back to the 9 rule then cumbo wasn’t over the mark, that was inside the square where he ran to. Does this “rule” make the game better, does it speed up the game or does it just clear the ball outside the 50m arc and make the game flow more. Players are all out of position once a 50 is paid and the attacking team always seem to score. I am so sick of 50m being paid for indiscretions that are not footballing actions, rather pedantic rules that give u,pores a sense of invincibility. The game is mucked when 50 m penalties are paid cos you moved on the mark, or you stand the mark but you have to move back to the nine, or the wrong player stands the mark, or you don’t obey the 6-6-6 rule, or you deign to disagree with the dumbpires, and the list just gets long and longer. I AM OVER It.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but that rule is fairly well known. I agree it probably doesn't add much to the game (not much of what SHocking brought in does), but its the rule. They all know it, and he was plain stupid to do it.

The 2nd on the mark, they allow another player to come and man the mark all the time, watch any game, another player takes the mark at various times throughout the game, why was Shai the one to be pinned for it? No idea, and I agree, this also adds nothing to the game, but as with many other rules, isn't paid most of the time, and then they just pluck one out of nowhere.

They had 1 like this in the Freo game last night, Cox tried to man the mark, the umpire told him he couldn't and got the person in the marking contest to man it. No 50, just common sense. Shai does it, and the ump pays a 60m penalty and gives them a goal.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
I just remember being sick of hearing the dumpires saying “back to the 9”. One last week against Dusty and one this week against Cumbo with no such warning. Why? Dreadful umpiring and so inconsistent, cos I reckon some umpire still give the warning.

Reactions: 1 user
Far better effort this week.

Far better performance too.

It was noticeable that some of the errors we keep making were less evident tonight. We were better at keeping the ball from rebounding out too quickly from our forward line, it still happened a lot, but not as easy as the last couple of weeks. Seemed to be positioning a bit better at stoppages and even at marking contests. Still too easy for Essendon to get goals off a marking contest, but not as easy as the last couple of weeks.

The pressure was much better. Our players were chasing more and more effectively.

Sometimes, but not often enough, we had players running to receive a pass. It is so noticeable how the better teams run to receive a pass. It is a big reason why we tend to bomb the ball out of defence and into the forward line, there is so little movement, so little effort or ability to find space.

I generally watch the team rather than individual players, but a few I noticed tonight.

Dusty had a few moments but you can see he can't do the magic things time and time again any more, just occasionally. He has looked a bit proppy this season but not so today and you could see the difference.

Samson Ryan, what can one say? I saw him hold his ground better but still much room for improvement there. His marking is atrocious, I watched one attempted mark and he seems to have his hands facing forward, just all wrong, no wonder the ball just bounced out. They must be trying to coach this but he seems to have no idea. Is the issue between the ears? Who knows, but if he can't learn to mark then there is little hope for him.

Short might get a lot of kicks but to be honest he can be such a liability. Just seems to kick to nowhere, bang it out of defence. Surely he has been told many times to look for a target, I don't get it. Short is an experienced player and a leader, he should know better.

Steely Green only had little time on the ground, but twice I saw him find space on half back and receive a pass. Not right on the boundary either, he was in between the flank and centre half back. That is impressive in our team, Green was looking for space to receive, something a lot of other players could learn from.

Cumberland was all at sea. He just didn't seem to be able to read the game very well and also fumbled. I hope this is inexperience and he should get a few games to see if he can improve, but at the moment I'm not seeing an AFL level player.

Dow just does not seem up to AFL level. Maybe with Tarranto and Hopper in the centre with him he could be better, but he doesn't have the size and players who are not big builds in the middle need other tricks - evasiveness, speed, good disposal - and he has none of these.

The umpiring was, typically, all over the place. There was a little patch in the second quarter where they gifted Essendon a few goals and the decision were absurd. That holding the ball which led to a goal in the forward pocket Punt Rd end was maybe there, but not 5 seconds earlier there was a similar situation where an Essendon player was tackled, had prior opportunity and did not dispose of the ball legally. If the second situation was holding the ball, then the first one was even more so - within about 5 seconds their adjudication turned 180 degrees. It is this ridiculous inconsistency, sometimes seconds apart, which drives everyone spare.

I saw, I think it was Ryan, in the goal square, with both arms being held waiting for the marking contest. You could see it from a mile away but 4 umpires couldn't see it (Shai I think marked anyway and goaled). If they can't see this when most of the crowd can and there are 4 of them on the ground then they should be sacked.

The 50m penalties were an absolute joke. I was right there when Cumberland was pinged. He ran to man the mark, he wasn't really looking at where he was, he was looking at the Essendon player. The umpire should have pointed out he needed to move back maybe a metre. The Shai one was even worse - stood there, put his hands in the air and was pinged - was it wrong player on the mark or over the mark? Either way, that is a warning 9,999 times out of 10,000 but they love giving a 50m penalty against Shai. If they did this every time, hell, if they did it 10% of the time, I would accept the decision. But they don't, they just pick them out at random.

I see Carlton are asking, in public, about their free kick differential against Gold Coast, why the hell don't we ask, in public, about the massive differential we get week after week and year after year?

DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Given our depleted VFL side flogged the Junkies VFL side....imo the Junkies Snr side is a few injuries away from imploding.

If they were fair dinkum - they should have smashed us tonite. Period.

Instead they needed sh!tty dumpire involvement to get them over the line against a ravaged Tiger side that has been flogged the last 2 weeks.

Impostors for mine.

Brown is the next Jaydyn Short. Only he is not surrounded by stars who can carry him.

And Sonsie has a similar lack of intensity and desire.

Unsure if it can be taught

We played a drinking game based on having one for every occasion he ended up on his arse after any ruck or marking contest…. expensive night!
I play a drinking game where I have a tequila shot every time an ump stuffs up the stand rule - yells stand when the player is 5 metres from the mark, yells outside 5 when the player is 1 metre from the mark, yells “stand! stand! stand! play on” to oppo, doesn’t yell “stand!” then pays 50 against us, etc.

I’ve got cirrhosis of the liver

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
A major major factor in the last quarter was Nick Hind. Can’t believe nobody has mentioned this. He went ballistic on the Southern wing.

Who was playing on hm ?
Was it Brown?

Who was playing on hm ?
Im going for the win .....I'll say no one :))

What we wanted was effort and we got it tonight. I have no idea which game some of the people on this thread were watching but the one I was at on the MCG showed a highly committed and gutsy Tiger unit.
Put Lynch in the forward and one of Hopper or Taranto in the team and we win.
Don't forget Bombers poor kicking for goal kept us close.