GAME DAY SEMI THREAD - Tiger vs Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY SEMI THREAD - Tiger vs Saints

Feb 25, 2007
We won center clearances 15 to 5 wow! 52 to 40 inside 50's, more contested and uncontested possessions plus 10 more tackles.
More of this please next week V Port

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
That's why never play footy coach
Rioli out scored Bolton.

Pickett was last with a score of 29.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
We won center clearances 15 to 5 wow! 52 to 40 inside 50's, more contested and uncontested possessions plus 10 more tackles.
More of this please next week V Port
Won't be like that next week. Both Saints performances not overly finals like really.

Reactions: 1 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Just got home from the game, mission accomplished well done Tigers!

Some observations of mine before I sit down to watch the replay and find out how wrong I am.....

Lynch showed tonight just how much we missed him last week.

Houli is a bit of a concern. His decision making and skill seems off to me at the moment. Having said that the htb decision against him in our fwd 50 was perhaps the worst umpiring decision of the year.

Shedda is pure class, so creative.

Pickett’s skills by foot are not great, misses targets too often for mine.

The skipper is out of sorts, looks like he’s lost a yard and he too makes some poor decisions by foot.

As I said that’s what I saw, will be back to eat some humble pie shortly I imagine!!

Edit : lol just read the last page of the Houli thread, seems I got that one wrong already!

Reactions: 7 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The fact that the media muppets had to actually ask Dimma what Gale said was ridiculous. They are paid very well to know this sort of information, but no they would prefer to trawl around for *smile* trade stories, or trying to drag players names through the mud.
Agreed spot on

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Some observations of mine before I sit down to watch the replay and find out how wrong I am.....

Houli is a bit of a concern. His decision making and skill seems off to me at the moment. Having said that the htb decision against him in our fwd 50 was perhaps the worst umpiring decision of the year.

The skipper is out of sorts, looks like he’s lost a yard and he too makes some poor decisions by foot.

As I said that’s what I saw, will be back to eat some humble pie shortly I imagine!!

Edit : lol just read the last page of the Houli thread, seems I got that one wrong already!

Good report Mopsy. Agree with most of that.

Yeah Houli made some blues but I think he's improved from last week. Getting involved, breaking lines. Jack R was quiet.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Good to win and great to be in a 4th PF in a row. But geez we do it hard. That was not a convincing win by any stretch. So much fumbling and slipping over. I get the conditions but it seemed to affect us more than the Saints.

It was a strange game. Our pressure ratings were well off. We were below average or poor for the first 3 quarters. The only saving grace was that Saints were worse. We ramped it up to elite rating in last quarter and left them behind. We also did well in clearances and scored a lot of goals from that. We normally score goals from turnover but hardly did that tonight.

The pressure will be ramped right up next week. We will need to lift by levels; we play like we did tonight and we will get destroyed. If we play our best we will win; we can beat them even though it is a tough task in Adelaide. I'm just not sure we are going well enough to play at our best. No matter what the stats said there is no way we were playing as well this year as we did at the end of 2019. Not even that close really.

But is a different year so let's see what happens next week. Very proud that they are in another PF so let's "raise the fight" :))

We are going more akin to the tail end of 2018 than 2019.

We were rolling like an avalanche last year, and after flogging the Bears we were slow to get going against the sooks until we kicked in after half time.

Tons of disruptions and we havnt had continuity and havent had the luxury of returning our best players from injury over 6-8 weeks leading into September.

Houli and Edwards, Cotchin in and out, Dave back from a long injury, Dion back from a long lay off.

Lambert not fit battling with an alleged chronic hip issue, Daniel down on form, George has been down all year, Caddy in and out.

Soldo out now and Tommy also missing games.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Just noticed a few on PRE still. I'm cycling through the GD pages as is my custom - I'm another one who doesn't get on during the game except in the breaks. Try to avoid getting distracted or more anxious.
Anyway, just watching the FO tennis as I do. The young Argentinian, Schwartzmann. is taking on Nadal. Interesting match. The young guy can almost match him in the rallies.

A long shot on clay, I know. But just have a hunch he might trouble him - it's youth V age and experience. Checked Sportsbet $5.40/$1.13.

Anyway, thing is, Schwartzmann is wearing our colours, B & G outfit. If you like an omen punt. Long way to go; might just wear him down.

Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009

Does Pickett stay purely for "structural/defensive" purposes?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We are going more akin to the tail end of 2018 than 2019.

We were rolling like an avalanche last year, and after flogging the Bears we were slow to get going against the sooks until we kicked in after half time.

Don't agree. We look spent, but we aren't out of it.
If Hardwick plays the right players next week, we are defiantly a show.
Astbury stays in to take Dixon.
But we need to exploit ports back 6.
Some one will get Mackenzie.
(That's straight into the goal square)

I want a starting forward 6 of.
Lynch Jack Rioli Caddy Bolton Balta.
We need to exploit there lack of height.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A lot to sort out from that game.

First, and most important, we have made it to the last 4, to the Preliminary Final, for the 4th year running. What a great result.

We played well enough to beat the opposition we faced, but can we ramp it up against better opposition? Time will tell.

Certainly the famed Richmond pressure was not enough tonight, we have to ramp that up or we won't make the Grand Final, let alone win it.

Our defence was good, but not as good as it can, and needs to, be. Needs sorting. I thought the idea of Astbury in the ruck was an interesting one given how Balta has looked a bit all at sea since DTLD came back. Looking at the stats I notice Astbury got no hit outs, so maybe not, but not a bad little experiment.

Clearances were good, and this is significant given how badly we were beaten in the middle against Port last time. I think they must have been working on this, clear room for improvement there so a good move to try and improve. We saw the value of that a couple of times and with 2 key forwards it is a huge advantage if we can get better out of the middle.

Shedda was simply great, enough said really.

Dusty was good, lots of possessions but not as damaging as he can be.

Lynch was massive, makes such a difference.

Some of the decision making needs work, we can't afford to kick straight to opposition players when not under pressure. Needs work.

Was not happy to see our players slip over and fumble. I know it is dewy up there and clearly playing in Queensland in October is not ideal. But this is what 2020 has handed us so we have to adjust. Someone needs to talk to the boot studder ;) Adelaide will suit us more on that aspect but the Grand Final is in Brisbane so, if we make it, we need to sort this out. I hope they are practicing in the evening up there. I also thought our players looked like it was a bit too hot for their liking and many looked very worn out by the end of the game. Baker especially, after such a good game, looked very tired in the last few minutes. Difficult climate to be playing footy but the opposition has to deal with the same conditions so we need to be able to cope.

StKilda, what can one conclude from their game? They are a very good team. The way StKilda was able to open up our defence was truly impressive. They find more space in our back line than most teams. Their run and carry, with passing and surging forward is very good. Maybe Brisbane had a little look at that before they played us last week. We could have defended better but part of the reason we didn't was because StKilda can cause trouble with their quick movement into the forward line. I don't think they are quite there yet, but StKilda are on their way to being the real deal if they can just improve maybe 5-10%. We won the flag after coming 13th the year before 2017, but we had played finals the previous few years. StKilda haven't played finals for 9 years, their run in the finals this year, with one win, will do them good. If I was Rutten I would have been pumping them up after that game - they were competitive against the reigning premiers in a final. If we aren't up there in a couple of years time I wouldn't mind if StKilda are contenders. They play a nice brand of footy too. I might even watch Rutten's press conference after the compliments earlier.

The umpiring was better than usual, not saying much. A few absolute howlers, a fair bit of inconsistency, but I have seen a lot worse. I certainly can't explain why we got 8 free kicks in a row, did we suddenly play differently, did StKilda suddenly play differently? Somehow I doubt it, just the usual lottery the umpires dish up to most teams except their favoured ones.

I was watching channel 7 as I refuse to pay Murdoch for anything. After the game we saw Benny Gale addressing the players. It really is hard to believe they didn't seem to know what was going on. Someone must have eventually twigged as they put up a graphic of number of games captained. But they certainly had no idea when Benny was talking to the players. They really need to pull their fingers out and actually do the sort of background work they are paid to do, it really is a poor reflection on just how rubbish the commentators and analysts are these days.

On to the Prelim and, we hope, another Grand Final.

Go Tiges :gotiges

DS

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
No Lambert and him have to be under pressure.
2 poor finals the both of them
Rfc metrics aren't measurable by laymen, we are in the dark as to how they mark a player's performance. Will be surprised if he's dropped next week as he seems to be "playing his role" and can't see any forced changes next week

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Don't agree. We look spent, but we aren't out of it.
If Hardwick plays the right players next week, we are defiantly a show.
Astbury stays in to take Dixon.
But we need to exploit ports back 6.
Some one will get Mackenzie.
(That's straight into the goal square)

I want a starting forward 6 of.
Lynch Jack Rioli Caddy Bolton Balta.
We need to exploit there lack of height.
My concern too.
We look spent. Look at times slow. That third quarter they were all over us.

I want revenge for that EF loss to PA . We can get them.

I have concerns. We play like that against PA in that quarter it’s like the 2018 PF.

I hope we can.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just home from the game.

wasn't a finals atmosphere on or off the field.

think tigers players and fans were there to get a job done, which we did. we were out-vocaled by saint fans!!!

on field, I gave nank the votes. he was colossal. he jumped as high as I've ever seen him jump late in the game.

I think he thought he was Nic Natanui for a minute there.

sheds was sublime, dusty was very good, Kmac made good use of his giant heart and lungs, big tom was imposing.

but the best, most exciting part?

Danny, Bachar and lambo played their best games of the year,

oh, and Dion releasing $hai to play the performing aarts role was pretty exciting too.

At times we looked like premiers. but when we didnt, it was often because St.Kilda were good.

they brought a good game and are hard to play.

Its simplistic to think Port are way better than the saints.

I think they are only a bit better.

and we just got a bruise free win to tune up for them

Reactions: 12 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Does Pickett stay purely for "structural/defensive" purposes?
He’s an interesting one Pickett.

Skills at times are sloppy I reckon, but there was a fair breeze in the first half so I may be being a bit harsh.

i also think he chooses to bump far too often instead of tackling. But he split some poor Saint in half in the def 50 in the last qtr which was a thing of beauty.

And I also think he drops his head in marking contests at times, especially when going back with the flight.

But he does cover a lot of ground I must say. And he does link up very well.

So yes he stays imo, but he still has some things to work on.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
At times we looked like premiers. but when we didnt, it was often because St.Kilda were good.

they brought a good game and are hard to play.

Its simplistic to think Port are way better than the saints.

This.

StKilda are not some easybeat team who scraped into the finals to make up the numbers. StKilda are not there yet but they are a very good team on the rise and showed they are capable of giving us trouble even though we did beat them.

They also beat Port, in Adelaide, earlier this year.

DS

Reactions: 3 users