Game Day - Tigers V Blues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers V Blues

tommygun

1st of many
Aug 24, 2011
Caroline Springs
I also rewatched the game and reckon Bolton has copped unnecessary criticism. He had one of those games where if all he had attempted had come off he would have been close to BOG. He was often in the right spot, which is what the coaches will be looking at. Unfortunately he missed targets he would usually hit and missed easy goals that should be his bread and butter and a couple of moments didn't go his way (i e. like in the last minute where he misjudged the bounce). We supporters expect more but also need to accept that some times players have games where things don't go right. The positive sign was that he was getting to the right positions.
The problem is he has too many of these games

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Ump simply stuffed up owies is running towards goal and gets caught, had more than enough time and the first free must be paid for incorrect disposal.
Cant gift him the free for simply dropping his knees and the forward momentum balta coming over the top of him. Terrible decision by the ump.
I’ll go against the grain slightly… all the above is correct except Balta didn’t turn the body just slightly… tough one, but as I watched it was “bugger, that’ll go down as in the back” and it did….it was the straight fall that undid the great work.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I’ll go against the grain slightly… all the above is correct except Balta didn’t turn the body just slightly… tough one, but as I watched it was “bugger, that’ll go down as in the back” and it did….it was the straight fall that undid the great work.

I get why it was paid too BUT the issue I have is, why is this a free in the 1st place? We know why a push in the back in a marking contest is a free, because it gives the player behind an unfair advantage, but what is the purpose of this free for PITB when tackling? Protects from injury? Not sure, how many players have been injured from this action? I'd guess a very very low %, so why is this even a free? We should be rewarding good tackling like that, not penalising it.

I've mentioned this on here before, so its not isolated to the Balta tackle, IMO it just seems to go against the spirit of the game to pay a free for that type of action.

Reactions: 2 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I get why it was paid too BUT the issue I have is, why is this a free in the 1st place? We know why a push in the back in a marking contest is a free, because it gives the player behind an unfair advantage, but what is the purpose of this free for PITB when tackling? Protects from injury? Not sure, how many players have been injured from this action? I'd guess a very very low %, so why is this even a free? We should be rewarding good tackling like that, not penalising it.

I've mentioned this on here before, so its not isolated to the Balta tackle, IMO it just seems to go against the spirit of the game to pay a free for that type of action.
Can’t say I’m across the nuances…. But even as juniors you teach techniques not to go square into the back, equally the smarter players know how to manoeuvre to try and draw this free…. Bio mechanics and injury, dunno…. If you didn’t stick it and the other stumbled, maybe a hammy. Ironically it’s much harder to stick a tackle bear hug style vs just to the side and use your moment to turn. Yep it grates when you stick a good one then fall straight into the back…. But it’s been like that for a looooong time

Reactions: 1 user

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Watching the last quarter at the ground all our players were cooked. They were just willing themselves from contest to contest. Most of those errors were from pure exhaustion. The fact they were even able to contest at all was an extraordinary effort.
I hadn’t made any judgement on Yze as I was taking a “wait and see“ approach but he has started to win me over.
The glass is definitely half full for me.

Reactions: 7 users
Feb 25, 2007

When you run down someone from behind at pace hard to turn their body to the side especially when owies immediately went to ground and took Balta with him.
As i mentioned umps more times than not award the first free which is HTB

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
When you run down someone from behind at pace hard to turn their body to the side especially when owies immediately went to ground and took Balta with him.
As i mentioned umps more times than not award the first free which is HTB
Yeah did Owies dive forwards or did Balta fall straight in his back and not roll him. Probably a little bit of both. Hard thing to call though.

I like the rule of just playing in the back if that happens for consistency/simplicity but having much more severe consequences outside of the game for players deemed to be milking free kicks or gaming the system by diving/flopping/headbutting etc. that seriously get checked and can cause fines and to miss games if you persist with it.

Imagine selwood won a free that won a game but got 4 weeks for causing the high contact for a 100th time as a 50 time repeat offender and missed a whole final series.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Ump simply stuffed up owies is running towards goal and gets caught, had more than enough time and the first free must be paid for incorrect disposal.
Cant gift him the free for simply dropping his knees and the forward momentum balta coming over the top of him. Terrible decision by the ump.
Yeah, it’s gone too far in favour of the player with the ball in that once they know they’re being tackled they just drop the knees and go limp and the tacklers momentum means they’ll get in your back. One day the rules will change to eliminate it a la the KB bouncing the ball just before youre tackled.