Game Day - Tigers V Blues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers V Blues

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Cripps disguises his throws by curling up his right hand into a fist while throwing. Alot of players are doing this but the umps let it go.
I hate it. The two handed shovel. It's against the rule. I've posted about it before.

The definition/rule stipulates it is a throw. The rule states

Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting it with the clenched fist of the other hand.

The key word to me is "Hold"
. The definition of hold is - grasp, carry, or support with one's hands. Grasp, carry or support.

They don't hold the ball with one hand. They throw the ball with that hand and try and get a touch on it with the other. The momentum comes from the hand holding the ball. Both hands propell the ball. One hand does not hold the ball. It's a throw.

FWIW we did it a few times as well, it's not isolated. But certain players like Cripps/Treloar/Oliver take it to a new level.

Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
All i will say is the umpires decided that game in the last. Balta runs down owies, owies throws himself forward and gets the free and goal = criminal. Perfect tackle and should've been rewarded.
I thought in that instance the free that occurred first was paid? Owies had time, was tackled and diud not dispose of it correctly. Balta did land on his back but surely the first free is paid?

Or did the ump not think it was incorrect disposal?

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007
I thought in that instance the free that occurred first was paid? Owies had time, was tackled and diud not dispose of it correctly. Balta did land on his back but surely the first free is paid?

Or did the ump not think it was incorrect disposal?

Ump simply stuffed up owies is running towards goal and gets caught, had more than enough time and the first free must be paid for incorrect disposal.
Cant gift him the free for simply dropping his knees and the forward momentum balta coming over the top of him. Terrible decision by the ump.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The inconsistency of the frees last night, for both sides, makes me think that it's a case of different umpires umpiring differently

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I hate it. The two handed shovel. It's against the rule. I've posted about it before.

Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting it with the clenched fist of the other hand.

. The definition of hold is - grasp, carry, or support with one's hands. Grasp, carry or support.

They don't hold the ball with one hand. They throw the ball with that hand and try and get a touch on it with the other. The momentum comes from the hand holding the ball. Both hands propell the ball. One hand does not hold the ball. It's a throw.

FWIW we did it a few times as well, it's not isolated. But certain players like Cripps/Treloar/Oliver take it to a new level.
correct. most teams and players are doing this now as the *smile* let them get away with it. The whole bulldogs team does it, Tom Mitchell hasn't done a proper handball in 7 years, Cripps does it in tight every time, geelong have been doing it for years also.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Besides the fact we are chronically slow on the ball, we are, without doubt, the worst kicking side in the AFL.

We miss everything. 20m sideways kicks under zero pressure , guys on their own out on the wing, straight up leads, and of course the obligatory and often farcical set shot misses - Shai Bolton our perennial and leading offender.

We had a real go tonight. Really good at stoppages. We could have won that game if it weren’t for the insane kicking skills - particularly in the last quarter. De Koning and one or two others had a field day off us in the last quarter.
Not sure Carlton's kicking was much better

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Its crazy how good a side we would be if we just made less skill errors. I guess that's like Ted Bundy saying he would have been a better person if he didn't kill as many coeds.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
All I will say is that if some says that umpires don’t influence games I will spew up.

That 50m penalty to De Koning was right on our 50m mark. The umpire took the man on the mark inside Carlton’s forward 50. WTF!

Absolutely filthy how such decisions costs teams games of football.
Baker being penalised for accidentally running into the ball with his head was a farce. Let alone the distance of the 50 metres.

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
Its crazy how good a side we would be if we just made less skill errors. I guess that's like Ted Bundy saying he would have been a better person if he didn't kill as many coeds.
Or how many runs Steve Smith would make as opener if he didn't go out all the time...

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
It was a practice match.

All vfl stats for actual games are available live so you will get plenty of info when the actual games start
I dam want them after the games finished I run a business 6 days and work 60 hours plus,should all be available within a hour of game,highlights are basically nothing

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013

the blatant one where Cerra? goaled ... even the commentator ( I think Taylor ) said, "Cripps shovels it out" or something to that effect...

Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I’d really enjoy it if we could all refrain from a constant reference to anal rape when referring to umpires and the afl. It’s not something I like to be prompted to think about. I’m sure there are others who feel the same.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
If your aunt had a *smile* she'd be your uncle.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not a bad read

"This round one battle was a game of denial. Richmond, like Monty Python’s Black Knight, played in denial of the fact that they had lost two key defenders against a pair of Carlton Coleman medallists, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

’Twas but a flesh wound for the Tigers.

It was a game of denial in small, crucial, moments. Curnow comes off his man to spoil Tom Lynch on the boundary with less than a minute on the clock.

Nick Vlastuin’s ferocious tackle/spoil of Curnow on the goal line. To channel Dennis Cometti’s description of Heath Shaw’s smother of the century in the 2010 grand final replay, Vlastuin mowed down Curnow. He was more mugger than librarian.

Charlie remained in denial after the Blues’ five-point victory, swearing he had kicked the goal as he was blindsided by Vlastuin despite score review evidence to the contrary. “It did touch my boot! It did touch my boot! I promise. I’ve seen it,” he told The Age in the rooms after the game. He was laughing. He laughs easily, but he did seem convinced he had scraped the ball.

Or, was the greatest denial the bounce that slipped over Shai Bolton’s shoulder when it seemed destined for him to accept it in cupped hands and snap the goal to kill the Blues off in the final 20 seconds of the match?

The Curnow effect

A game involving Charlie Curnow can appear to revolve around him like tourists at the statue of David. They come to watch, overwhelmed by how vast and impressive he is.

The big moments happen with Curnow in them. Last week, as the Blues orchestrated a comeback for the ages at the Gabba, he booted two quick goals to change the match. This week he was central to every significant moment of play yet was not the best player on the ground. He might have been the most consequential.

He began the night with Richmond defender Dylan Grimes standing on his face. It was an accident, but that didn’t make it bleed or hurt less.

The smother

With two minutes left in the match, Carlton lead by five points. Curnow is sent back to be a loose man in defence. The irony of this is stinging for Richmond. The Tigers had no key defenders, following the cruel knee injury to Josh Gibcus, and the Blues were trying to save the game by sending one of their two game-changing key forwards into defence. Richmond send Vlastuin to go with Curnow and even the numbers.

One minute 30 seconds remaining

There is a ball-up 30 metres from Carlton’s goal. Richmond captain Toby Nankervis manoeuvres to the front of Harry McKay, grabs the ball out of the ruck, and smuggles it off to Tim Taranto.

Taranto, in a step, roosts the ball clear towards Marlion Pickett who meets it on the bounce ahead of Mitch McGovern. He scoops the ball in, drops a hip in a half shimmy and squeezes a handball back over his shoulder to Bolton who was surging past, having started his run back where Taranto’s kick had come from. Bolton cuts between three Carlton players, heads towards the boundary, has time to take a bounce and beckon with his hand to Lynch, up the field, to come towards him for the ball. He kicks long to Lynch just outside the Richmond 50-metre arc on the boundary. A mark and anything could happen for a Tigers score.

Curnow runs from inside 50 and flies at Lynch. He spoils the marking contest and the ball goes over the boundary.

Jack Silvagni has gone down with his knee. He is a big cog for us, and he plays that role quite a lot, so I’ve stepped into it and done a little bit also. We have seen Harry do it in the past,” Curnow explained later.

“We practice it, but you try and keep it simple – make a quick smart decision to come off and try to spoil. You don’t always get it right, five minutes earlier I played on in the goal square.”
This piece of denial might have been sufficient to have changed the game. But it didn’t end there.

Richmond’s last gasp

With Curnow flipped to defence, Richmond had an out-number behind the ball for those last two minutes. So, after the Curnow spoil there are two boundary throw-ins in quick succession before a scramble of play has Carlton’s David Cuningham finding enough space to kick in hope inside 50 towards McKay, who runs back with the flight to try to mark. The Tigers now have the extra player.

Grimes cuts across McKay and spoils the ball to ground where he can team with Noah Balta to get the ball away. Balta kicks it up the wing to Kamdyn McIntosh, who moves it on sharply to Thomson Dow.

32 seconds remaining

Dow kicks the ball deep forward. This was elite football as even under nines play it – kick the ball long to everyone and no one.

Panic clouds minds. Either of Carlton’s Adam Cerra or George Hewett might have marked the ball or punched it over the boundary. Both missed. The ball flies over their fingers, bounces once without being touched, then bounces a second time. Rather than sitting lower on the second bounce to be scooped in by Bolton for a snap at goal, it spikes higher than expected. Bolton half misses, half fumbles the ball, and it goes over his shoulder.

The moment is gone. Whether he would have kicked the goal is moot – he did have Adam Saadclosing on him at his shoulder – but he never got the chance to find out
."

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Not a bad read

"This round one battle was a game of denial. Richmond, like Monty Python’s Black Knight, played in denial of the fact that they had lost two key defenders against a pair of Carlton Coleman medallists, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

’Twas but a flesh wound for the Tigers.

It was a game of denial in small, crucial, moments. Curnow comes off his man to spoil Tom Lynch on the boundary with less than a minute on the clock.

Nick Vlastuin’s ferocious tackle/spoil of Curnow on the goal line. To channel Dennis Cometti’s description of Heath Shaw’s smother of the century in the 2010 grand final replay, Vlastuin mowed down Curnow. He was more mugger than librarian.

Charlie remained in denial after the Blues’ five-point victory, swearing he had kicked the goal as he was blindsided by Vlastuin despite score review evidence to the contrary. “It did touch my boot! It did touch my boot! I promise. I’ve seen it,” he told The Age in the rooms after the game. He was laughing. He laughs easily, but he did seem convinced he had scraped the ball.

Or, was the greatest denial the bounce that slipped over Shai Bolton’s shoulder when it seemed destined for him to accept it in cupped hands and snap the goal to kill the Blues off in the final 20 seconds of the match?

The Curnow effect

A game involving Charlie Curnow can appear to revolve around him like tourists at the statue of David. They come to watch, overwhelmed by how vast and impressive he is.

The big moments happen with Curnow in them. Last week, as the Blues orchestrated a comeback for the ages at the Gabba, he booted two quick goals to change the match. This week he was central to every significant moment of play yet was not the best player on the ground. He might have been the most consequential.

He began the night with Richmond defender Dylan Grimes standing on his face. It was an accident, but that didn’t make it bleed or hurt less.

The smother

With two minutes left in the match, Carlton lead by five points. Curnow is sent back to be a loose man in defence. The irony of this is stinging for Richmond. The Tigers had no key defenders, following the cruel knee injury to Josh Gibcus, and the Blues were trying to save the game by sending one of their two game-changing key forwards into defence. Richmond send Vlastuin to go with Curnow and even the numbers.

One minute 30 seconds remaining

There is a ball-up 30 metres from Carlton’s goal. Richmond captain Toby Nankervis manoeuvres to the front of Harry McKay, grabs the ball out of the ruck, and smuggles it off to Tim Taranto.

Taranto, in a step, roosts the ball clear towards Marlion Pickett who meets it on the bounce ahead of Mitch McGovern. He scoops the ball in, drops a hip in a half shimmy and squeezes a handball back over his shoulder to Bolton who was surging past, having started his run back where Taranto’s kick had come from. Bolton cuts between three Carlton players, heads towards the boundary, has time to take a bounce and beckon with his hand to Lynch, up the field, to come towards him for the ball. He kicks long to Lynch just outside the Richmond 50-metre arc on the boundary. A mark and anything could happen for a Tigers score.

Curnow runs from inside 50 and flies at Lynch. He spoils the marking contest and the ball goes over the boundary.

Jack Silvagni has gone down with his knee. He is a big cog for us, and he plays that role quite a lot, so I’ve stepped into it and done a little bit also. We have seen Harry do it in the past,” Curnow explained later.

“We practice it, but you try and keep it simple – make a quick smart decision to come off and try to spoil. You don’t always get it right, five minutes earlier I played on in the goal square.”
This piece of denial might have been sufficient to have changed the game. But it didn’t end there.

Richmond’s last gasp

With Curnow flipped to defence, Richmond had an out-number behind the ball for those last two minutes. So, after the Curnow spoil there are two boundary throw-ins in quick succession before a scramble of play has Carlton’s David Cuningham finding enough space to kick in hope inside 50 towards McKay, who runs back with the flight to try to mark. The Tigers now have the extra player.

Grimes cuts across McKay and spoils the ball to ground where he can team with Noah Balta to get the ball away. Balta kicks it up the wing to Kamdyn McIntosh, who moves it on sharply to Thomson Dow.

32 seconds remaining

Dow kicks the ball deep forward. This was elite football as even under nines play it – kick the ball long to everyone and no one.

Panic clouds minds. Either of Carlton’s Adam Cerra or George Hewett might have marked the ball or punched it over the boundary. Both missed. The ball flies over their fingers, bounces once without being touched, then bounces a second time. Rather than sitting lower on the second bounce to be scooped in by Bolton for a snap at goal, it spikes higher than expected. Bolton half misses, half fumbles the ball, and it goes over his shoulder.

The moment is gone. Whether he would have kicked the goal is moot – he did have Adam Saadclosing on him at his shoulder – but he never got the chance to find out
."

This paragraph shows what I mean about the non rub of the green we get with this bloody ball most times. Might be silly but it happens too often against us.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
Rewatched the match. Proud of our boys efforts with the 3 injuries by half time but we have not got the 4 points. I hate moral victories.

3 crucial umpire decisions need explanation from the Politburo. Tackle by Balta on Owies given as in the back when Owies clearly dropped to his knees. Result one goal. Cripps shovels ball to Cerra. Shovel means he threw the ball. AFL media credentials does not allow any commentary critical of the umpires. result one goal. De Koning 50 metre penalty. Not 50 as De Koning turned into Baker, accidental on Bakers part as he tried to get on the mark, 50 becomes 57. Resulting in the goal. 3 incorrect decisions resulted in 3 goals

Nank, Lynch and Dusty were gassed late in the match.

Blues did well to safeguard the lead in the last 2 minutes. Congested our forward line, unable to collect the ball to get a prior opportunity holding the ball, not feeling pressured to kick it out, happy to ball up after ball up. They have learnt thi well from the Pies. We seemed to haveno plan to counteract this tactic. Something for Ouzo to work on.

The old Dusty would have been able to fashion a miracle in the last minutes

Reactions: 2 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
I also rewatched the game and reckon Bolton has copped unnecessary criticism. He had one of those games where if all he had attempted had come off he would have been close to BOG. He was often in the right spot, which is what the coaches will be looking at. Unfortunately he missed targets he would usually hit and missed easy goals that should be his bread and butter and a couple of moments didn't go his way (i e. like in the last minute where he misjudged the bounce). We supporters expect more but also need to accept that some times players have games where things don't go right. The positive sign was that he was getting to the right positions.

Reactions: 7 users
Feb 25, 2007
Having been at the game and then watching it last night on Kayo. This was such a fighting effort, to have our two key backmen down which is monstrous in the grand scheme of things killed our structure as Balta went back and left lynch as the main tall. Balta was such an aerial threat up forward.

We looked good and if we play that way we'll win more than we lose but geez we have to cut out the unforced errors. Macca, Pickett, Broad, Bakes to name a few.
Don't get me started on the gimme frees to Carlton, especially in that last quarter.

We gifted the Blues 4 goals. In a tight game decided by 5 points that's game-defining.
1) Balta going sideways in the back of the centre circle to shorty ends up being a goal.
2) Bakes does knock the ball out of Dekonings hand, ump gives a 60-meter penalty (not 50), and they goal.
3) Macca seriously how the heck can you throw the ball right in front of the Blues goals at the punt road end = goal
4) Pickett handballs straight to the Carlton player in their forward line towards the city end and they goal.