Game Day - Tigers v Cats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers v Cats

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
More than anything, the last fortnight says to me how sh!t and soulless are the likes of Essendon FC.
What does that mean Lee?

The worry with our outs is that the two key ones, Rance & Reiwoldt, are close to retirement.

Tigerdangerous said:
It really is time for the club to have a back-up plan in place come the end of the season regarding the under performing and far too comfortable football department.

Firstly let’s forget 2017! I hope Hardwick puts his hand up and departs with some dignity. If not he needs to be paid out and replaced. He has always been a feel good, great mate sort but has terrible game day coaching skills (we’ve known that forever), and his pre-game selections are putrid. That’s the truth of it and his recent assistant coach selections have been lazy and ineffective to say the least.

Ten years is a fair go but the side, and lets forget the injuries for the moment, is playing dumb, dumb, dumb football. Being troubled by better and fitter sides is one thing but being non competitive with AFL level players at hand at the moment falls to the coaching staff.

And Balme has worked some magic but not for a long time; too many enjoying the comfortable ride now and it’s showing on the field!!!

No finals in 2019 which may be a blessing in disguise. It will be an opportunity to bring in a fresh coaching regime because that’s what a ruthless club that is financially stable does.
Back up plan? Forget the injuries? Rance, Riewoldt, Nankervis, Lambert, probably 4 of our top 6 most important players, add in Ross, Astbury and Ellis even Grigg that are all in the best 22. We don't have a footballer ruckman, (list management issue not coach issue), we have struggled around the clearances, but Caddy had a limited pre-season, Cotchin is a mile away from match fit, Lambert has been carrying and achillies (injury related fitness issue not fitness staff issue) We are missing our two tallest key defenders from the tightest back line in a long time from 2017 replaced by a 19yo and 20yo with less than 20 games between them, they don't stack up, but that's not dumb that's experience. Lynch has replaced Riewoldt with no pre-season, clearly hampered in jumping and aglility and being asked to do what Riewoldt has done for two years, which noone else in the game has ever done, winning a Coleman when you are the only tall forward and being the leading f50 tackler is insane. So in short your desire to forget the injuries and focus on the coaching is pure drivel. Its amazing we are 7-5 with the injuries we have. Still can't believe we beat Port and Freo away. Show me a team or coach with length and quality of outs we have had that has performed this well. Seriously you have no idea.

mad_tiggy911 said:
I'm really worried about us now.

We lost the perfect opportunity to back to back. We are back to 2014 mode again. A Middle of the road side

I was worried the minute I heard Riewoldt was going to miss 10-12 weeks.
The Year is gone
I can’t even say play the kids, because we already are.

For god's sake guys...

I didn't say a word beforehand because you have to be positive, going in, despite the realities.

But we were NEVER even close to likely to win this game. And it's all this stuff you see... God where to start. There's the love for Towner and Graham, for example. Now don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of both of them and they were great stories in their day, but there did seem to be a significant disconnect with reality, leading up to the game, and when they were selected. They were selected, because WE HAD NO ONE ELSE. We've been DECIMATED by injury. They were never LIKELY to make some massive difference, with Geelong bodies lying all over the field - that was fantasy stuff, but there was plenty of it - unbelievable.

And now (apparently) Cotch can't play, Dimma should be sacked, Balme should go, this guy and that guy is crap, the moon landing never happened, Trump is a great guy, god knows what else, it's just mindblowing, hysterical stuff.

But the thing is, who, for example, hand on heart, thought we'd win the Freo game? So I mean...we've banked a few so far this seaon, it won't matter if we drop out of the 8 even for a week, we'll be there, MOST likely, when it matters. Just get a grip. It's a SEASON, not this one unrepresentative game.

And really, can we not pause for a moment and think, what an achievement Ash Barty has pulled off here (and of course she may win the whole thing now)? Who IS a Tiger supporter and a super decent type? Never mind the indigenous stuff, she just is.

All this fuss about one sh*tty result in a way over the odds game, while she does that. Of course I understand this is an AFL board and all the rest, but even so, that was something, surely.

So I just mean...let's have some perspective eh?

Not convinced geelong midfielders run back enough, they’re great moving towards goal. Ruck?
It’s up to them now, 2 games clear + a whopping percentage. Scott can’t Fokk up otherwise he might join his brother

Rabbia said:
For god's sake guys...

I didn't say a word beforehand because you have to be positive, going in, despite the realities.

But we were NEVER even close to likely to win this game. And it's all this stuff you see... God where to start. There's the love for Towner and Graham, for example. Now don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of both of them and they were great stories in their day, but there did seem to be a significant disconnect with reality, leading up the game, and when they were selected. They were selected, because WE HAD NO ONE ELSE. We've been DECIMATED by injury. They were never LIKELY to make some massive difference, with Geelong bodies lying all over the field - that was fantasy stuff, but there was plenty of it - unbelievable.

And now (apparently) Cotch can't play, Dimma should be sacked, Balme should go, this guy and that guy is crap, the moon landing never happened, Trump is a great guy, god knows what else, it's just mindblowing, hysterical stuff.

But the thing is, who, for example, hand on heart, thought we'd win the Freo game? So I mean...we've banked a few so far this seaon, it won't matter if we drop out of the 8 even for a week, we'll be there, MOST likely, when it matters. Just get a grip. It's a SEASON, not this one unrepresentative game.

And really, can we not pause for a moment and think, what an achievement Ash Barty has pulled off here (and of course she may win the whole thing now)? Who IS a Tiger supporter and a super decent type? Never mind the indigenous stuff, she just is.

All this fuss about one sh*tty result in a way over the odds game, while she does that. Of course I understand this is an AFL board and all the rest, but even so, that was something, surely.

THIS ^^^^ x 1000

Players don't lose their ability....they lose their comrades, their structure, and their CONFIDENCE !! Im no less disappointed than eny of us here, but some of the comments have been a little knee jerk to say the least.

Losing players affects the structure, however the confidence is in the coaching staff's hands.

As to the game "plan" are we to assume that our coaching staff don't understand how Geelong, or how anyone else play ? Come on fellas....get real. Are you saying that clown Scott is a gun coach.....laughable. Our real strength is our SYNERGY and how we play as a GROUP....when that group has been decimated, that synergy is gone.

If after all these players went down someone told you that we'd be 7-5 at this stage of the season with the players we have left - you'd have taken that any day. Last week I saw the kids and a few others hit the wall (not unexpected) and fully expected what happened tonite to happen. Its not rocket science.

Although we're likely up against it, we will see what happens after a 6 day break in SA next week.

In the meantime lets get thru the bye, see if we can re-set and what we can do.

We will find out soon enough who is up to it and who is'nt in the 2nd half of the season.

Unfortunately our overall team last night and last week was just too small in height and weight. It sure is a shame that Pickett is injured because he probably get his first game next week.

Back to the bad old days of getting embarrassed by Geelong and it sure does hurt so bad.

Yeah we got injuries but 2 weeks in row not competitive and senior players besides a few poor.Match committee hast been the best either.

The Big Richo said:
I felt the booing of Ablett was pretty unedifying tonight.

Yes it was. Doesn't matter who he plays for, what he may be like off-field, he's one of the best ever on it.

Oh and to be clear, he was subjected to it the very first time he got hold of the ball.

Where do you start?

That was not good, but I don't think we played all that badly, we were outclassed by a far better team on the night. Could we play better? Sure, but I still don't think we would win the way Geelong played.

To more specifics.

We really need to do something about our midfield. Getting beaten there every week is costing us big time. We really need to get more contested ball in the middle. This is fundamental. Plus, when we don't win the ball in the middle the other side needs to be forced into low quality disposals.

When the ball was there to be won the Geelong players got it out of the packs direct to their outside players. I didn't notice if we also had players free and waiting for the ball but that was irrelevant as Geelong were so much better than we were at getting the ball in congested situations and delivering to a free player.

We looked short and slow. We need some taller players. The pressure game is no longer working, it doesn't work if the opposition keeps marking the ball. We need to be taking more contested marks. I looked at the stats at the end of the game and I reckon they were crap, Geelong had way more contested marks than the number given.

I thought there were some lazy/sloppy disposals in the second quarter that cost us dearly. Kicking to the opposition, into the man on the mark, passes that were badly placed leading to turnovers and goals. It sure helped their momentum and by the third quarter Geelong no longer needed to rely on our poor disposal. Our disposal is just not good enough.

Big loss, but against the form team of the competition. We might have expected to lose this one but it makes the losses against Footscray and North that much more expensive.

The umpires were their usual incredibly inconsistent selves, I just expect that now. Pity how we seem to be on the receiving end so often. Geez Geelong players are never reluctant to ask for a free. Made little difference, just added to the frustration.

Score review was a farce . . . so what's new?

However, I agree with Dimma, we need to focus on what we can control. So, time to do something about the deficiencies in gaining possession in congested play, in marking and our disposal needs to get a lot better/more accurate. There is a lot to work on.

From what I saw tonight we will likely make the 8 but will be making up the numbers.

Didn't think much of Towner's hit, looked like he barely connected, can the Geelong player be cited for diving? Surely after Hawkins got off last week there's no talk of a suspension??

DS

PS: I had no problem with Ablett getting booed, thugs get booed, suck it up ya little thug. Great player? Certainly, but turning into a dirty player.

PPS: Go Ashley Barty

the final result to come out this game was, the lack of height & the lack of a quality inside midfielder.
Not sure if the club should push jack and nakas to come back in a hurry.
Too many players out of form, too many players getting shown up on their deficiencies.
Castagna..how long does he stay in?
Rioli.. looks spiritless
Butler...no confidence
Caddy.. no pace, can’t mark above his head. How long do you persist?
Cotchin.. won us a flag on the back of playing a 82kg battering ram and now struggles to run out games.
Ellis and Houli.. when the heat is on they both seem to crumble.
Lynch... do you rest him till he is 100% fit. He looks miles off it.
Higgins..2nd year blues.

It will be interesting who they chase at years end.

Wont be reading the newspapers this weekend. Radio will be tuned to music. Don't care about any other games. Still hope Collingwood lose, whoever they're playin.

ratbastad said:
Agreed - but perhaps they were booing the AFL's letting him off the hook twice for a similar offence that had Soldo suspended. ::)
Yes - its Gill the dill who should be offended that's where the booing was really directed, same as the Pendlebury booing and the Carlton fights. AFL is in denial.

p!sses me off. Richmond is advocating for a treaty with the Aborginals who were the custodians of our land and more than ever I know how they feel. We fans were the custodians of our game and the AFL came in and took over and now I wish they would p!ss off and give it back.

Contested ball has never been our thing. We were good at wrestling it back with second and third efforts and pressure. That is hard to maintain and our injury list hasn't helped. Goal review needs to be shelved until it is perfect. If you can't get it perfect, bin it. Simple as that. Near enough is not good enough in professional sport. That was embarrassing. Lynch is not getting it done. Harsh call, he was not expected to be playing a lone hand but facts are facts. Loves the trash talk and behind the play stuff but he is not clunking it or winning it. I still reckon you persist and I am sure the coaches understand where he is at but with no Jack and Lynch not dominating our forward line is struggling. I wouldn't write Towner off just yet. (but then I'd never write him off, I love 'im). Looks like a tough season. I wouldn't be surprised if we drop out of the 8 but I think there is a silver lining with getting games into Balta, Naish, Stack, Baker etc.

(I stopped watching in the 3rd.)

Really dismal display.
Realistically reminded me of the way we always played against Geelong in the early years with Hardwick.
The blame should go to the list management. We kept players that werent never going to be used.
The inability to see the lack of talls, the shallow midfield and the recruiting of a player for a million dollars a season that looks worse then Griffens.
Not happy

Reckon Zippadee has summarised it pretty well, with is opinion on players and team manegement. If i were a Tigers fan i would be concerned a bit about rioli ( as an example) had the x-factor, did huge run down tackles, and seemed destined for an elite player. Last night even his basic disposals were awful. Not sure what has happened. Losing Jack and Rance, has had a HUGE effect. I am not comparing him to Hawkins as such, BUT these type of blokes not only kick goals but have serious footy smarts, and open the game up for other forwards. Also the fact that Sav took 4 contested marks ( first time ever), shows how much you guys missed a ruckman. Hang in there peoples.