Game Day Tigers v Dockers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Tigers v Dockers

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
The bombing into the forward line business, I'm starting to wonder if there is a reason for this that we all dont see.. Although its ugly & the games stay closer than we would expect, we win every time. The opponents are rarely able to transition quickly the other way, & rarely our opponent kicks more than 7 goals. Its an ugly snooze-fest, but it feels like we are doing it to NOT take the bait the opponent is trying to set up to create a turnover and rebound the other way.

When we play an opponent who is prepared to not flood us, the bombing it long habit disappears and we go back to being fairly effective from the fwd 50's. Its not a problem so much as its a tactic.

When we are being flooded and we bomb it in - although our fwd efficiency drops away - our defensive efficiency rises by a higher level as we are able to set up behind the ball for the possible rebound. The entire game is played in our half. Percentage wise it means our opponent has next to nil chance of outscoring us.

Dimma has shown before he will commit a lesser crime to ensure we successfully get a better result somewhere else. Much like when we were giving away 50's alot in 2017 & 2018 to hold the player up, it meant we were able to set up down back quicker.

It doesn’t look like Dimma enjoys the flood or how we play it?

Seems a very animated & frustrated coach in the box.

I think it’s fraught with danger if it’s a tactic of ours to not get caught out on the rebound , to set up with one less around the stoppages & extra back.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Why was there no goal line review on Higgins’ left foot banana with a couple of minutes to go...?

Looked like Nank touched it well behind the line, yet commentators said diddly squat.

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Felt Freo played well.
Longmuir definitely used his time at the Pies to his advantage. Timely reminder that teams are able to nullify our chaotic pressure with patient ball use in the build up.
That said our system held up really well too.
To hold them to just 4 goals was a real credit to our defensive structures though with a bit better application they could have been closer to be fair.
i actually think it was a really good hit out & we will take plenty from it.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Why was there no goal line review on Higgins’ left foot banana with a couple of minutes to go...?

Looked like Nank touched it well behind the line, yet commentators said diddly squat.

That’s what I thought at the time too!
Why?
Commentary disregarded It pretty quick.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Felt Freo played well.
Longmuir definitely used his time at the Pies to his advantage. Timely reminder that teams are able to nullify our chaotic pressure with patient ball use in the build up.
That said our system held up really well too.
To hold them to just 4 goals was a real credit to our defensive structures though with a bit better application they could have been closer to be fair.
i actually think it was a really good hit out & we will take plenty from it.
Agree, while not the best game to watch, it was a good win against a well coached side. Opposition sides can flood our forward line all they like, our system will win the day.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
This game was like the Melbourne & Carlton matches in R20 & 21 last year, except that Freo brought attitude - some of their supporters are saying they couldn't fault a single player - which forced us to click up a gear when we'd have preferred to skate through to the next big challenge.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004

One of the commentators did say Something like “I hope it wasn’t Nankervis who touch it”

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Longmuir said the score didn’t reflect the difference between the sides.

Hard disagree. The fact we slipped gears so effortlessly in the last showed our mental approach to the game.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Matt Turners match report from the HUN:

“In many ways the Dockers were unlucky not to win and they had plenty of chances to cause one of the upsets of the season. The final margin was harsh on Fremantle. They were brave to cut a 19 point margin at half time 6 at the final break. “

3: J Short
2: B Acres
1: N Fyfe

• Haha

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Would have loved one of the media circus (they are all clowns, but not funny) to ask Longmuir what he thought of Conca's job on Dusty after his moaning last week of the treatment of hitman Fyfe? Hypocrite or what?

Reactions: 6 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
*smile*.

Mainstream media analysis is ludicrously bad.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Re the team song after the game..
I have never seen us song it with less interest than last night.
A combination of physical distancing, coupled with the micro analysis of player behaviour in recent weeks, has seen any magic removed from that special moment for the players.
Have said it before, how can a team bash into each other for 2 hours not their arms around each other after the match?
Aren't they all in a hub together?
Worrying about the optics is flat out crazy!
Couple that with the ridiculous commentary as started by Rimminton is it any wonder the players look like they're painting by numbers?
I'd honestly prefer the cameras be removed from the rooms & let the players enjoy their victory rather than watch the overly sanitised crap we're currently subjected to.
It's just sad.

Reactions: 8 users

sconies

Tiger Rookie
Aug 22, 2019
welp.
Re the team song after the game..
I have never seen us song it with less interest than last night.
A combination of physical distancing, coupled with the micro analysis of player behaviour in recent weeks, has seen any magic removed from that special moment for the players.
Have said it before, how can a team bash into each other for 2 hours not their arms around each other after the match?
Aren't they all in a hub together?
Worrying about the optics is flat out crazy!
Couple that with the ridiculous commentary as started by Rimminton is it any wonder the players look like they're painting by numbers?
I'd honestly prefer the cameras be removed from the rooms & let the players enjoy their victory rather than watch the overly sanitised crap we're currently subjected to.
It's just sad.

I thought last night was a bit lacklustre too, but I think that also might be an indication of the player's thoughts on the game. After the West Coast win the team was much more animated in the rooms, especially Dusty.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I thought last night was a bit lacklustre too, but I think that also might be an indication of the player's thoughts on the game. After the West Coast win the team was much more animated in the rooms, especially Dusty.
Yeah reckon the players knew it was a pretty rubbish performance and were keen to move on and focus on Geelong.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Would have loved one of the media circus (they are all clowns, but not funny) to ask Longmuir what he thought of Conca's job on Dusty after his moaning last week of the treatment of hitman Fyfe? Hypocrite or what?

Conca did a great job on Dusty and I didn't see anything untoward myself, as others have said Dusty just not vested last night.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
To be clear, we were never going to lose this game.

You could tell straight away in the last quarter. Our pressure suddenly went through the roof.

No one can go with us.
True, Carts.
We were up in the first and last. Went into cruise mode in the middle.
Boys will appreciate the break now and come back hard against the Moggies.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
We lifted for the Brisbane game, doggies game and eagles game. Struggled against port, but there were extenuating circumstances.

Not worried about last night. Got the four points. Although our midfield competitiveness, without meatball and titch, is our major weakness.

Huge test against the cats. Win and the whole comp will be plotting to bring us down come finals.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Conca did a great job on Dusty and I didn't see anything untoward myself, as others have said Dusty just not vested last night.

Little bit of holding but nothing that Dusty doesn’t get most weeks.

Vested is the ‘key’ word there Caesar.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm pretty sure everyone in the competition knows the plan to beat the flood because there is only one. The catch is it is a very effective tactic so hard to beat and it lines up well with our strengths.

The 'plan' is:

1. Move the ball fast enough to beat the defenders back. Unfortunately we like to roll an extra back and go one down at stoppage so that is hard to do when we lose clearance often.

2. Take contested marks deep forward. A really hard thing to do at any time, let alone with numbers back.

3. Create enough repeat entries to disorganise the defence, and up the odds of a mark or free kick by sheer weight of numbers by setting up well behind the ball and not risking a fast play from the opposition with shallow turnover. Takes time and patience, needs precision foot skills and relies on the opposition becoming disorganised which they may not, especially under shorter quarters with reduced fatigue.

So it may look like we are mindlessly bombing the ball but really what we are doing is taking option 2, denying the opposition the chance to score by trying to hit up a pass in shallow 50 that can result in a scoreable turnover for the other team.

I dunno if you need to beat it.

I reckon the flood pretty much beats itself.

Theres no % in finals