GAME DAY - Tiges v Dogs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY - Tiges v Dogs

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That was quite a game.

Certainly worrying in the first half. We were spraying kicks on goal a bit but Footscray won the first half through a much higher work rate than we had. I was there but I was thinking we wouldn't have had as many jumpers on screen as they had. Was sitting there wondering exactly how Footscray were getting so many numbers to the contest and still had plenty on the outside ready to receive. The questions were: how do we stop this, and can they keep it going for the whole game? Surely that sort of manic play that we saw from Footscray in the first half must take a toll?

I think the back line held up well in the first half. We were way down on inside 50s and not too far behind at half time. When the opposition get it in that quick there are situations which are just unable to be defended, which is why you need that pressure in the centre.

In the second half I reckon we ramped up the pressure. You could see the Footscray players were not getting the easy possessions they were in the first half. Footscray will always get passages of play when they can run it down the ground very quickly, they are a quick side with clean possessions. But, if you can get enough pressure going and prevent the clean possessions down the ground, and get some turnovers, you can get them. Footscray are very good, they should be contending for top 4 and a flag chance, being able to overhaul them and keep Footscray to 2 goals in a half is a damned good effort. I also noticed more manning up in defence too, maybe the zones are having to adapt to the quick running game we are seeing?

Lynch was an interesting one tonight. I thought he was presenting very well from the start of the game and certainly clunked a heap of marks. Seemed to have no confidence in his kicking, as you could see with that handball to Aarts in the first quarter. Wonder what is going on there. Seemed to get better and gain some confidence in the second half which is a great sign. But what I really liked was that he managed to be less static and was able to get some space at times. Liked Lynch's game a lot, if he can get some confidence back in his kicking for goal it will make a huge difference.

Pickett seemed to be everywhere tonight. Geez he can leap, not just in the ruck but that spoil he made on the member's wing was great.

Castagna seemed to start the season well but is lacking impact at the moment. Not sure what is going on there, we need Chaos Man back.

I know Rioli gets around to block space all over the ground, but he needs to be more decisive. Gets the ball and doesn't seem to know what to do next, too static and slow decision making.

Baker - what can you say? He is magnificent.

Umpiring? Where's that tin of Pal? What a mess. Leading up to the holding the ball decision which gave Footscray a goal we saw what the problem is really. Gross inconsistency. There were 3 holding the ball decisions in about the 2 minutes prior. 2 could have gone to Richmond and 1 to Footscray. So, watching this, you're thinking, hmm, maybe they are just not paying holding the ball much. 3 good tackles which could have easily been holding the ball decisions. Then comes another one, maybe 30-40m out from the Footscray goal. Bit soft . . . surely . . . no . . . after the previous 3 decisions in a short space of time they pay the softest of the 4 as holding the ball and within kicking distance of the Footcray goal. There really is no explanation for this, you can't adjudicate what were probably 70/30 decisions as a ball up and then pay a 50/50 decision as a free kick. It must do the players' heads in, it certainly does the fans' heads in. Makes it so hard to predict what the silly umpires will do next.

Bit disappointed we only got 52k to the game.

Way more disappointed with the ticketing. I tried, as a bit of an experiment since I had an extra code (my daughter couldn't go), to see what tickets were available from the second they went on sale to this afternoon. I would try for tickets every few hours. We are Roaming Tiger members, so reserved bays. The bays we sit in are for Roaming Tiger members, my understanding is that we get first or even only access to the bays we sit in. So, after seeing what is available constantly for the 3.5 days we could book a seat, I managed to get Row M (I like to be near the front) and never got offered a ticket closer than Row L. Kept getting offered tickets up the back, time after time after time. Get to the ground: Roaming Tiger bays are full of Footscray supporters, I mean full, at least 40% Footscray colours in front of me. WTF? I can't get those seats, how the f*** do Footscray supporters get access to all of those seats? I'm going to email and ask the club, no point asking Ticketek, they're useless and don't give a s***.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
One more thing: I thought RCD had a respectable debut against genuinely good opposition. Good signs there, should get a run of a few games. Hopefully he can make it, now has a taste of what it is like in the 1sts, give him some more taste, teach him some more and he can be very good.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Did you see their man-buns? Their extravagantly ridiculous glam rock mullets? Did you see the way Nank and Lynch grabbed them by the hair and threw them across the room, and how Marlion grabbed a fistful of pretentious locks, forced them to look up and said "See that number 7? That's a mullet."

You can get a poshly frothed latte on Barkly St now. The Western Lattes i'm gonna call 'em. They should start an ironic jug band.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I think this was our best H&A win for quite a while.
Comparing it to Port away Round 3, 2019. We were 1-2, 14th. Port were 2-1, 8th - and would finish the season 10th. We were without our then big four of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance. But we never got more than 15 points behind and that was in the first quarter. And of course weren't as far into the season.
Reckon today we were in a bit more doo-dah being further into the season despite a technically better W/L record of 3-3. And the Dogs were undefeated on top.
West Coast round 22, 2019 was pretty good. Needed to win. A top opponent and had we lost we'd have finished fifth.
I remember being pretty impressed by the win over Hawthorn round 18, 2015.

Reactions: 2 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Not going early to what will happen this year ,

But that had a dejavu feel to it for me ,

Started the season a bit ordinary, picking up a few injuries , an under strength side wins when many wrote us off ,

Enjoyed that second half , only a fool would write this group off .

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
So Treloar had 27 disposals - he must have had them all in the first half.

Beavo frustrated that we had RCD and Ross play in the middle at times and we beat up their much hyped midfield. :clap2
We were thumped in the middle in the first half. Dimma said he reverted to more experience in the 2nd to attain ascendancy. I like Ross but I thought he had a poor game. RCD was encouraging and looked at home but struggled a little defensive running.

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
From what I have seen so far tonight, anyone who thinks we are premiership contenders are delusional.

We are running around like headless chooks and apart from a good thing from a player here and there could not pick one Tiger who is doing anything spectacular.

One exception would be Lynch who has taken 9 marks but no goals.

Wish I could find something better to say, but so far we are just not good enough.

We are a shadow of the team we were over the last 3 years.
Have to admit I was wrong.
In my defence I did say "so far."
Different team after half time.

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
watched part of a show 'the first crack'? late after the game ... never seen it before ..
Ben Dixon was very complimentary of us, called us a "Rolls Royce...fine tuning it's parts", and that we're one of a kind
good on him, felt like he meant it ..

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I think this was our best H&A win for quite a while.
Comparing it to Port away Round 3, 2019. We were 1-2, 14th. Port were 2-1, 8th - and would finish the season 10th. We were without our then big four of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance. But we never got more than 15 points behind and that was in the first quarter. And of course weren't as far into the season.
Reckon today we were in a bit more doo-dah being further into the season despite a technically better W/L record of 3-3. And the Dogs were undefeated on top.
West Coast round 22, 2019 was pretty good. Needed to win. A top opponent and had we lost we'd have finished fifth.
I remember being pretty impressed by the win over Hawthorn round 18, 2015.
The Port game was my favourite H&A win - this one was better!

Reactions: 3 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I think what I enjoyed most of all last night, was Josh Bruce reverting to type in the last Q. Didn't take much.

Reactions: 2 users

Tazzytiger

Tiger Cub
Mar 1, 2008
I think what I enjoyed most of all last night, was Josh Bruce reverting to type in the last Q. Didn't take much.
Josh Bruce ruffled Grimesy up and Grimsey let him know about it big time. I noticed Bruce gave him a wide berth after that. I think our boy scared him

Reactions: 1 user