Game Day - Tiges V Power | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Power

When will someone at the club cut out these rubbish undisciplined free kicks ? Yes we always get a bad run with the umps but we still bloody give away pointless ones.

Reactions: 6 users
This list is in no man’s land.
I've said that for 3 years we will end up like this.
Since 2020 we have decided to go back to 1983.
*Poor decisions.
*Poor list management
*Poor recruitment
*Poor drafting
*A coach that bails mid-year, *unheard off.
*People's egos inflated
*General manager decides to take on the competition head honcho's but disappears in the back ground.

I feel for the players, they aren't treated like the other 17 clubs.
-10 today
Game won for Carlton last week.
Umpires changed the momentum against GC.
We are playing against the opposition plus 4 other blokes.

Reactions: 1 users
Some observations from this game:

- Vlastuin terrible and disinterested. Worst game I have seen him play

- Ross again shows what he can be as an onballer. Doesn't panic, quick hands, neat kick. Keep him there

- Bakes back to his beat

- Short made some terrible blunders

- Lynch well short of a gallop

- Balta is an enigma. *smile* me where his best spot is.

- Nank all heart. Beat Soldo hands down

- Shai unbelievable. If only he could stop giving up 50s and get those brain farts out of his game

- Dow I've seen enough now. Wont make it. Out for Hopper or McAuliffe

- Brown is such a good user. We need to free him up a bit to use the ball

- Trezise is undersized but he gave everything he had. Would be better as a 4th defender

- Lefau I'm not sure what he's good at. Terrible kick, got outmatched in marking contests. Thought he was a back breaker but Ratogolea made him look weak.

Reactions: 4 users
-18 free kicks total in 3 games
Lost count how many free kicks we haven't been paid.
In the 1st qtr today Port threw the ball 4 times. NO FREE

You are beautiful and I love you

Edit- yes I am. Look at his time on ground, pressure acts, contested possessions, weight and lack of free kicks when being held and pushed around. Apologies for knee jerk response but Shai was everywhere all day running hard and getting good position to assist with scoring chains. I think your statement was pretty unfair on our best and most dangerous player today.
Fair enough! My poor effort at humour against our B.O.G.

Please accept my humble apology......

-18 free kicks total in 3 games
Lost count how many free kicks we haven't been paid.
In the 1st qtr today Port threw the ball 4 times. NO FREE
We're -6 frees per game. Only Geelong are worse -6.5. In 2018 we were bottom at -5.1 which is simply crazy for a whole season. Last time we had positive was 2014.

Reactions: 1 user
We had some very i experienced players out there, got belted by the umps and had some really undisciplined acts that gave away frees and 50’s or at least contributed to easy scoring opportunities for Port.

We didn’t get smashed on the scoreboard, or clearances. Lapses in pressure and discipline cost us I reckon. With Lafau, banks, brown, Clark, trezise and Campbell all very inexperienced we did remarkably well.

Who had us a Monty to win given the outs? We did well. I hope we see some junior mids coming in next week. Nothing to be too concerned about except the bloody standard of umpiring.
And when you factor in Lynch who missed nearly all of last year and only came back to running and normal training a few weeks ago, Nank who was also out for ages, etc. Too many supporters are looking at our premiership players and expecting them to have the same desire as 2017 to 2020. Bring on this year's draft bc the covid years were tough for all clubs, especially those who played finals in those years.

My take up to now after 3 games:

forget about the umpires!!!!!!!!!!!

A glaring stat for me is the lack of marking particularly in the forward line.

So far 48 to our 25 in the forward line.

303 to 215 overall.

Anyone want to talk about controlling games here you have our biggest problem IMO.

Reactions: 8 users
When it mattered we got towelled up in the midfield.

They locked down hard on Bolton and we had no answers.

We need to address this area of the ground.

We have no zig or zag in there. Just one paced players.

Get this right and things can change quickly.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just back from the game and I see the melts have started. If anyone thought that our defense was going to struggle today they were living in cloud cuckoo land. To see people on here saying Miller, Tresize, Brown etc are not making it clearly are posting on emotion after losing. They were largely hung out to dry by the umps and our midfield, which at times I wouldn't even call them witches hats, some of the attempts to tackle I'll be nice and call weak.

I thought Miller was good on Dixon today, 1 goal from outside 50, another from the most nothing free, if Lynch was paid frees for that he'd have 200 a season!

Dow - I've seen enough, slow, doesn't win the ball and can't kick 40m. I literally watched him in the 3rd quarter (I think), jog in a chase with Wines (who's hardly a greyhound) and Wines made him look slow. For a player playing for his career where is the urgency. If he's not busting his gut defensively, or doesn't win the ball, why is he there? Seen enough - goneski.

We badly need pace in the midfield, I'll say it again, Dan Rioli is our man, largely wasted where he is playing, needs to have that licence to burst through stoppage, the burst that he had through the stoppage to set up Bakes goal on the 3 quarter siren was what we need to see more of.

Brown and Tresize I reckon did ok today, competed against much taller opponents (Tresize in particular) but some of those entries, it didn't matter if we had Rance, Scarlett and Silvagni in defence they wouldn't have stopped them the ease they came through.

What disappointed me the most though, was at 3 quarter time we were right in the game, then bang we don't punch a ball through inside the goal square, we knock it back to the top of the square and then Short coughs a handball up in the corridor and then they kick the goal, followed immediately up with Pickett not going hard at the ball, basically ran past it and they kick another goal then they got another straight out of the centre stoppage. Bang, bang, bang and the game was done.

We weren't hopeless but we need pace in that midfield, when Shai was in there he was electric, but with Taranto, Ross and Dow, the slow brothers, they could just move the ball at speed.

Reactions: 10 users

303 to 215 overall.

Anyone want to talk about controlling games here you have our biggest problem IMO.

Personally I don't think its marks in our F50 that is the issue, its uncontested marks. We have been killed in that stat in all 3 games and its the uncontested marks that allow you to control the speed of the game. By not controlling the movement of the ball, a lot of our movement of the ball therefore is rushed and hurried and hard to mark. Marks in F50 are a symptom but not the cause of our issues IMO.

Reactions: 3 users

303 to 215 overall.

It’s round 3 & we are already playing project forwards hence the dire state of our lack of them

When it mattered we got towelled up in the midfield.

They locked down hard on Bolton and we had no answers.

We need to address this area of the ground.

We have no zig or zag in there. Just one paced players.

Get this right and things can change quickly.
It’s a huge problem. No obvious fixes on the list either - D. Rioli perhaps is an option… McAuliffe will come in but he is only a kid. Not sure who else has the attributes we need. Bolton really needs to be played as a pure midfielder at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got in.....not all bad imo, but :

mids got towelled up and especially lack speed
inexperience and bad decision making hurt us
the usual brain fades / 50 mtr pens and of course the ones we don't get
inability to hit targets with poor delivery inside 50
STD umpire reaming....was really hard to watch and bordering on cheating. Again. Disgraceful and I've had enough. We now EXPECT to get screwed every week. It's a FARCE.

As said b4.....hit the draft hard in 2024,25 and 26 before the Tas Devils take em all.

Brown and Lefau should be ok with games....we will see.
Clarke not sure.
Dow no.

More changes to this list at yrs end and some are overdue.

303 to 215 overall.

Think it goes much deeper than that. We are 2nd last for disposals per opposition per game (-55). Same for marks (-36). And of those disposals last for efficient disposals per opposition per game (-54). Getting smashed on the spread. Inside 50s we're 2nd last (-15.3). Marks inside 15 2nd last (-7.7). These are big numbers. Guess who else is last or 2nd last in all these stats? Yep Eagles. I think the losing margins so far are covering the cracks a bit. We have to move on, keep playing the youngsters, see what we can keep and what to move on.

Last edited:
Having had some time to digest the game, have to say there are still plenty of positives to come out of it. Coming in with 6 changes, so almost a third of the team is different, missing a bunch of best 22 players against a top 4 team missing only 1 best 22 player, with the umpires against us all day. Constantly fighting back until the last quarter where it just got away from us. Can’t argue with the effort and the fight.

Simply not competitive against a team which is looking to make the eight.

We weren't great in the middle but the glaring thing is that opposing clubs have such ease spreading to an outside player for a good opportunity to get it forward. Some centre clearances our players were ok but not enough pressure when we didn't get the ball.

Far less pressure than against Carlton, a real drop off.

Too many players just a bit below what they are capable of.

The young players are still finding their way but our positioning does seem a bit off, not as bad as last year at times but still could be better. I saw one instance where Miller was up against Dixon, he gets the spoil, which, predictably, goes in front of the contest. Not one Richmond player was in front of the pack, Port get the ball and pump it forward.

Much room for improvement, but also not really good enough to be competitive at the moment.

One thing I have noticed is just how bad we are at passing to team mates. This is reflected in the uncontested marks where we always have less than our opponents and the difference is large. Our skills need a lot of improvement.

As for the umpiring, what can you say - gross inconsistency as usual and we seem to be on the receiving end every week. They are just so bad it isn't funny, and not just in our games. The throws. The occasional, and generally mystifying, adjudication of the holding the man rule. It is a joke. Well overdue that we started to kick up a public fuss, who cares what the response is, we get reamed every week anyway.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Having had some time to digest the game, have to say there are still plenty of positives to come out of it. Coming in with 6 changes, so almost a third of the team is different, missing a bunch of best 22 players against a top 4 team missing only 1 best 22 player, with the umpires against us all day. Constantly fighting back until the last quarter where it just got away from us. Can’t argue with the effort and the fight.
6 out but not many good ones coming back.
Broad has been ordinary
Young Hopeless
Hopper knee surgery tommorow 6-8 weeks??
Prestia more chance Deledio makes a come back.
Graham he won't improve our ball movement
Mate is the only 1 missing who could make a difference.