Game Day - Tiges V Power | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Power

No
Simply not competitive against a team which is looking to make the eight.

We weren't great in the middle but the glaring thing is that opposing clubs have such ease spreading to an outside player for a good opportunity to get it forward. Some centre clearances our players were ok but not enough pressure when we didn't get the ball.

Far less pressure than against Carlton, a real drop off.

Too many players just a bit below what they are capable of.

The young players are still finding their way but our positioning does seem a bit off, not as bad as last year at times but still could be better. I saw one instance where Miller was up against Dixon, he gets the spoil, which, predictably, goes in front of the contest. Not one Richmond player was in front of the pack, Port get the ball and pump it forward.

Much room for improvement, but also not really good enough to be competitive at the moment.

One thing I have noticed is just how bad we are at passing to team mates. This is reflected in the uncontested marks where we always have less than our opponents and the difference is large. Our skills need a lot of improvement.

As for the umpiring, what can you say - gross inconsistency as usual and we seem to be on the receiving end every week. They are just so bad it isn't funny, and not just in our games. The throws. The occasional, and generally mystifying, adjudication of the holding the man rule. It is a joke. Well overdue that we started to kick up a public fuss, who cares what the response is, we get reamed every week anyway.

DS
No pressure because lynch is slower then a tortoise.
Dusty dosent chase and between Flappers Dow and Tarranto Port walked through our tackles.
The worse exhibition of tackling I've seen by us in 10 yrs.
Hopeless skinny Port players were breaking tackles and causing the out number.

Reactions: 2 users
Love Tresize
Love Campbell
Shai is back
When we click, and we will, we will be thereabouts.
Seen more from this list in 12 quarters than we did with Dimma for two years.
Whatever route we choose I think we are set.
Big draft hand this year osnd we have some capital to trade.

Reactions: 7 users
There is positives.
Miller looked Asbury like.
Brown is quality 👌, Melbourne Sydney geelong all wanted him.
Mccaulife,Sonsie look likely.
Trezise looks hard and a find.
Seth Campbell has class and pace.

Reactions: 6 users
6 out but not many good ones coming back.
Broad has been ordinary
Young Hopeless
Hopper knee surgery tommorow 6-8 weeks??
Prestia more chance Deledio makes a come back.
Graham he won't improve our ball movement
Mate is the only 1 missing who could make a difference.
Broad and Hopper definitely make a difference but my point is the amount of changes, it’s a heap of changes and really disrupts the team flow and continuity

Reactions: 1 users
Was at the ground. Had the pleasure of sitting near the port cheer squad. Nice banter, but geez I was willing the boys on to really shut their smug faces. Oh well. Looking at the game, time after time they just waltzed through our tackles. Our boys could not tackle and bring them to ground. We were just brushed aside. Dow - sorry he ain’t the answer. No aggro or gut running, and that 40m effort for goal was bad. Lefau unfortunately could not get into it. Was easily brushed aside at times and was out jostled in marking contests. Not writing him off but needs to regather and impose himself. I’d give him another go. McAuliffe and Sonz need to come in. We need some extra pace in the middle and perhaps McAuliffe can lay a couple of tackles. Also can Yze take ShaI aside and tell him to stop giving away stupid free kicks. They kill us.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes we took it up to port for 3 qtrs, and short touched that ball start of last qtr his fingers bent back, its quite simply blatant cheating.

We actually had our chances to win, but once again 6 errors that I can remember cost us 6 goals.

I said that banks shouldn't have come in but was gifted a game. I also said that lefau great story good on him but no way should he have gotten a game. He looked lost out there and quite literally like he is still learning the game, so why gift a game.
Learn it in the ressies, fine tune your game and if its later this year or next year to gte a game it'll be well earnt.

Macintosh, Pickett both woeful. Lynch another who had a dirty day. He has to get on his bike and stop just standing there and asking for the high ball. Marshall up the other end who many did he mark out in front.

Dow geez I want this kid to make it but i don't know, great side step but doesnt hit the packs hard enough and losses to many one on one contests.

McAuliffe just put him in he's above VFL level.

Outs: Lefau, Banks, Dow (one of pickett or macca should be dropped but we know it ant gonna happen even with a new coach and assistants.

Ins: McAuliffe, Sonsie, Young (not sure on the severity of hoppers and broad injuries, so ill leave them out for now).
Would also like to see Cumbo come in, always seems to run to the right spots, kicks goals and dishes them off. Surely he does more than what Lefau put out there today

EDIT: From Yze -
Rioli is expected to be available for next Saturday’s game against Sydney at the MCG, along with Young and Broad. But Hopper is set for knee surgery on Monday and at least a fortnight on the sidelines.

"'Hop' is going to go in tomorrow for a look inside his knee," Yze said.

"He might be out for two weeks. He might have a bit of a cleanout.

"He could have tried to push his way through it, but he is too important. He needs to be able to train and get on top of that. But we are thinking a couple of weeks."

Last edited:
So disappointing second half.

Banks & Dow not AFL standard. Leafue - poor, albeit first game. Lynch awful today - either injured or not tuned in. Pickett - pathetic - will long remember disgraceful contest early in the last 1/4.

Biggest issue is midfield - non-competitive plus ball usage horrendous. Major deep dive needed into playing list.

Some observations from this game:

- Vlastuin terrible and disinterested. Worst game I have seen him play

- Ross again shows what he can be as an onballer. Doesn't panic, quick hands, neat kick. Keep him there

- Bakes back to his beat

- Short made some terrible blunders

- Lynch well short of a gallop

- Balta is an enigma. *smile* me where his best spot is.

- Nank all heart. Beat Soldo hands down

- Shai unbelievable. If only he could stop giving up 50s and get those brain farts out of his game

- Dow I've seen enough now. Wont make it. Out for Hopper or McAuliffe

- Brown is such a good user. We need to free him up a bit to use the ball

- Trezise is undersized but he gave everything he had. Would be better as a 4th defender

- Lefau I'm not sure what he's good at. Terrible kick, got outmatched in marking contests. Thought he was a back breaker but Ratogolea made him look weak.
Dow and Ross were on Butters and Rozie at centre bounces. Didn't see Ross have any impact at centre clearances. I knew we were in trouble when these two for us were in the middle. To me Ross is as slow as, 0 tackles for the game.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I don't think its marks in our F50 that is the issue, its uncontested marks. We have been killed in that stat in all 3 games and its the uncontested marks that allow you to control the speed of the game. By not controlling the movement of the ball, a lot of our movement of the ball therefore is rushed and hurried and hard to mark. Marks in F50 are a symptom but not the cause of our issues IMO.
Think not. Just look at the 3 top of the table sides and using the Swans as a guide. 47 to 23 in their forward line. 293 to 228 overall.Win the marks and you win the games.

Think not. Just look at the 3 top of the table sides and using the Swans as a guide. 47 to 23 in their forward line. 293 to 228 overall.Win the marks and you win the games.

But thats what I mean, we don't control the ball across the field so our F50 entries are poor. You are concentrating on F50 marks and therefore blaming the forwards, I'm saying thats a symptom because we don't control the ball.

Yes marks inside 50 are down, we average 8.3 vs the 3 best teams Swans (15.7), Giants (19) and Port (21), but its more than that, in terms of uncontested marks, we average 63, the Swans average 91, the Giants 92 and Port 104.

If you don't control the ball around the ground you can't expect good ball use inside 50.

Reactions: 2 users
We lost because we aren’t very good.

Endeavour was there, I think Yze will be fantastic, we aren’t losing in dispiriting fashion.

Tresize, Brown, Campbell, Sonsie, Green, MCA, Gibcus are players.

Recruit well this year and next and leverage some tasty free agency for needs and we’ll have a strong nucleus under a very good coach.

Reactions: 8 users
Personally I don't think its marks in our F50 that is the issue, its uncontested marks. We have been killed in that stat in all 3 games and its the uncontested marks that allow you to control the speed of the game. By not controlling the movement of the ball, a lot of our movement of the ball therefore is rushed and hurried and hard to mark. Marks in F50 are a symptom but not the cause of our issues IMO.
That must come back to work rate I think. Couldn’t believe how easily Port controlled the game for large parts and it was all kick to a man, hold, kick again, hold. We were completely unable to stop it.

Dow and Ross were on Butters and Rozie at centre bounces. Didn't see Ross have any impact at centre clearances. I knew we were in trouble when these two for us were in the middle. To me Ross is as slow as, 0 tackles for the game.

Expected a Ross hater would appear.

Ross 5 clearances, Rozee 5 and Butters 6. Ross is not going to be your key clearance winner, although 5 is not terrible. It's what he does around the ground where he adds his value. Whether we like it or not he is a top 10 player when played appropriately

But thats what I mean, we don't control the ball across the field so our F50 entries are poor. You are concentrating on F50 marks and therefore blaming the forwards, I'm saying thats a symptom because we don't control the ball.

Yes marks inside 50 are down, we average 8.3 vs the 3 best teams Swans (15.7), Giants (19) and Port (21), but its more than that, in terms of uncontested marks, we average 63, the Swans average 91, the Giants 92 and Port 104.

If you don't control the ball around the ground you can't expect good ball use inside 50.
Marks are down overall,not just inside 50.This is my point.Am I blaming the forwards?Well Lynch took zero marks today.Think we need to find a couple more high marking forwards to create more options. Bauer comes to mind.

Someone stick this on Tom Lynch’s locker. He had an absolute stinker tonight and made BZT look like Alex Rance
IMG_5749.png

Foot skills turn promising passages into a raffle.
poor hand balls that aim to get the ball out of trouble lead to more trouble.