Gameday - Tigers V Bombers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gameday - Tigers V Bombers

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Good perspective but when will we win a flag and them?

No idea but I'd much prefer my team to be trained in a style that will win finals, not just the odd game. Horrible gameplan from the Bombers, purely setup to remove any pressure from the game, but that still didn't really play to their strengths as players. It was very different to the Cats who play that way because it suits their players, it doesn't for the Bombers, it was simply a negating tactic and they will learn nothing as players as to how to win premierships from that.

I would be really disappointed in the Tiges if we ever did that sort of stuff.

We weren't good enough to beat them last night due to our own ineptness, we were all over the place defensively last night. I gave Balta some votes as I thought he was good offensively, but defensively in the 1st half he was poor on Weiderman, but that 1st half hurt us, but offensively we were horrendous for much of the night, we looked disjointed going inside 50, which we need to get much much better at.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
No idea but I'd much prefer my team to be trained in a style that will win finals, not just the odd game. Horrible gameplan from the Bombers, purely setup to remove any pressure from the game, but that still didn't really play to their strengths as players. It was very different to the Cats who play that way because it suits their players, it doesn't for the Bombers, it was simply a negating tactic and they will learn nothing as players as to how to win premierships from that.

We weren't good enough to beat them last night due to our own ineptness, we were all over the place defensively last night. I gave Balta some votes as I thought he was good offensively, but defensively in the 1st half he was poor on Weiderman, but that 1st half hurt us, but offensively we were horrendous for much of the night, we looked disjointed going inside 50, which we need to get much much better at.
We haven’t under Hardwick, but I remember Wallace using a negation tactic against the Crows once that won us the game after 100+ defeat to the Crows the week before.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We haven’t under Hardwick, but I remember Wallace using a negation tactic against the Crows once that won us the game after 100+ defeat to the Crows the week before.

and thats exactly my point. How did we go with Wallace overall? Only when we actually tried to train a gameplan that would win finals (and Hardwick was ahead of the game if you go back to 2013 - just didn't have the cattle then), did we set the club up to win 3 in 4 years.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The way we set up for kick ins is bizarre. It’s like we concede two kicks and then contest. Rinse and repeat.

Very good point on kick ins. We let them out numeours times, when they could mark just outside 50 in a contest where we barely contested the mark. Its way too easy to control the footy when you let them out of D50 that easily.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
The way we set up for kick ins is bizarre. It’s like we concede two kicks and then contest. Rinse and repeat.
When we kick out from a behind is just as bad, run 20 metres at a 45degree angle, kick 15 metres sideways, then kick to an out-number on the wing. Do it time and time again, regardless of who takes the kick, Short, Rioli, Broad, Vlastuin, all do the same thing.

Reactions: 2 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
When we kick out from a behind is just as bad, run 20 metres at a 45degree angle, kick 15 metres sideways, then kick to an out-number on the wing. Do it time and time again, regardless of who takes the kick, Short, Rioli, Broad, Vlastuin, all do the same thing.
Often wonder why we always seem to kick long to one side of the ground, usually to the right hand side.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

I’d rather have a set of game plans for different opponents and situations.
Horses for courses.

Different scenario come finals of course, but structure, plans and systems. Our “system” if you keep playing it year in, year out is easy to plan against when you know what will happen in a given scenario. No use having a system tha gets worked out and worked over and missing finals.

Allow for different scenarios at different stages of the game and different opposition
How many times have we as spectators seen the result unfolding before out eyes. We can all read the script, so can opposition coaches.
The old saying “ those that don’t learn from his are doomed to repeat it” or some such saying.

Reactions: 2 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
From a defensive aspect, playing manned up accountable football wouldn't go astray.

We lose if we don't put pressure on, pretty simple.

From an offensive perspective, kicking to outnumbered forwards doesn't bode too well, but we do it consistently. Would prefer we just chip around and take shots from 50m instead of poor inside 50 entries

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I’d rather have a set of game plans for different opponents and situations.
Horses for courses.

Different scenario come finals of course, but structure, plans and systems. Our “system” if you keep playing it year in, year out is easy to plan against when you know what will happen in a given scenario. No use having a system tha gets worked out and worked over and missing finals.

Allow for different scenarios at different stages of the game and different opposition
How many times have we as spectators seen the result unfolding before out eyes. We can all read the script, so can opposition coaches.
The old saying “ those that don’t learn from his are doomed to repeat it” or some such saying.

I agree, we should have different plans to add to our gameplan based upon how a game is going, ie. if our base gameplan isn't working, we have tweaks and also tweaks or different times of the game, but you should always have a base gameplan that suits your team. I'd rather lose, knowing we are playing our gamestyle and our brand of footy rather than playing a negating gameplan as IMO that stacks up much better long term, and utlimately we are all only in this to win premierships.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
That's it, our success has hampered us, all the depth we had left for greener pastures, leaving our cupboard bare. Just hope we can do the rejig better than the Hawks
No it didn't
We didn't trade away picks after 2016
We lost out on picking up Higgins, Collier Dawkins, Dow, Brown & Coleman Jones and Trading away a pick to Geelong on a running machine in Holmes.
Are those 3 picks in a row 2 yrs ago where are they?
Sonie in the 2's
Banks,??

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Can't afford to keep dropping games from winnable positions. Frustrating we're 'slow learners'.

• Sad

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Still trying to understand

1) How can Ralph Smith ever be allowed to take a kick out?
2) what was McIntosh doing in the last quarter (in particular)
3) why did Riewoldt kick the ball off the ground to an Essendon player standing by himself?
4)how can Mansell not even score from about 40 metres out?

I could keep going but know we all have the same questions and no answers.
Just dumb football *again

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Still trying to understand...
The one thing that I can't understand is that once it became clear that kicking it long into our forward line wasn't effective, why were there so few alternatives to goal? From 70 metres out there should have been multiple leads being made, either to draw Essendon players away from inside 50 or to actually receive a short pass. We should have been able to chip the ball around as much as we wanted because of our out-number, until an opportunity presented itself. But no -- we bomb it forward to a small, slow forward line almost every time. Undisciplined and lazy football.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Still trying to understand

3) why did Riewoldt kick the ball off the ground to an Essendon player standing by himself?

I could keep going but know we all have the same questions and no answers.
Just dumb football *again
With Graham & Bolts beside him and open.

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
We were still a chance for finals and once in finals anything can happen. Are u saying we were no chance of finals? Dont get the personal attack, understand everyone's angry so go and take a deep breath. Or is that too hard a concept for u to grasp?
My apologies if you took that as meaning a "personal attack" Panda, not my intent at all.

All I was saying is that I never thought all year thus far we are a threat of even going close to winning a Flag in '23.

And I don't get angry anymore Mate, little disappointed after performances such as that last night, but there's been a few of those already this year, so no great surprise.

The 4 dominate years we experienced recently have somewhat taken away my appetite for a "must win every week" mentality of many on PRE.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The 4 dominate years we experienced recently have somewhat taken away my appetite for a "must win every week" mentality of many on PRE.
True dat. My expectations are deflating as every week and season goes by.