General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
While i am a little annoyed in how much we seem to give up the reality is getting players like Tarranto and Hopper in one trade year is unheard of.
Also think some people are downlplaying the impact Taranto will have. This bloke is a game breaker. He can turn it on and change a game within 10mins. Forget about his stats at GWS. They simply had too many midfield talent to allow any of them to really stand out. You will find that each one of them has had a standout year and then due to lack of complete midfield minutes and dud coaching their overall impact has suffered.

What we are getting with Taranto is a Lambert on steroids. This kid is a working machine. One of the hardest trainers at GWS and a gentleman off it. This bloke will be enormous for the young mids we have now and may recruit in the future. Will also be fantastic in maintaining our excellent culture.

Yes the picks we lose may hurt us over the next 2 years but i have a lot of faith in our rookie system. End of the day your recruiting is only as good as your development structure and culture. You can have as many early picks as you like but if you cant develop and nurture them in the right way they are useless. We have all seen that in the past at Richmond and now looks like Norf are in that phase.

Reactions: 13 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Is that a beer or scotch??

Geelong took Stephens at around pick 16 in 2019. Debuted this year and played 7 games some as the sub and didn't make the field in 2 games. Midfielder 188cm and 86kg. Will be 22 in January. Contracted to end of 23

With Selwood retiring opportunities may open up for him but Geelong is bringing in other midfielders like Bruhn

He might want other opportunities by end of 23.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Also regarding Hopper. This deal must get done regardless what is costs us. Without Hopper the Taranto deal is useless as is the extra year given to Cotch and Jack.

If we dont get Hopper might as well trade out Martin and start the rebuild

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Geelong took Stephens at around pick 16 in 2019. Debuted this year and played 7 games some as the sub and didn't make the field in 2 games. Midfielder 188cm and 86kg. Will be 22 in January. Contracted to end of 23

With Selwood retiring opportunities may open up for him but Geelong is bringing in other midfielders like Bruhn

He won’t be the only one. Others will want pay rises. Won’t matter to them that the club is paying overs for a VFL player that they recruited to get pick 7.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion

Similar things would have been said about Narkle, and could also be said about RCD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
A reminder we took 5 talented kids in last year's draft & all of them look likely to get ample opportunity over the next couple of seasons but not quite ready to cover the like of Cotch, Dusty or Dion..that's where Taranto & Hoper come in.
I reckon our draft strategy is absolutely spot on.

Reactions: 20 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
A reminder we took 5 talented kids in last year's draft & all of them look likely to get ample opportunity over the next couple of seasons but not quite ready to cover the like of Cotch, Dusty or Dion..that's where Taranto & Hoper come in.
JVR would have been a more strategic play than Brown.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
JVR would have been a more strategic play than Brown.

JVR seemed a no brainer for us at the pick,

But im not into handwringing the past.

In terms of the future,

Im stoked weve opted out of the chaos of this years draft,

And combining last years haul with this years, weve brought in about 4 drafts worth of talent imo.

Weve nailed it.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just found out Lids is a player manager now. Trying to trade Adam Tomlinson out of Boringbourne.

• Haha

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Talented yes, 3 flankers instead of mids or a swingman? That's not spot on from my perspective.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
He won’t be the only one. Others will want pay rises. Won’t matter to them that the club is paying overs for a VFL player that they recruited to get pick 7.
Bowes could easily be best 22, that trade was the golden goose & we should have been all over it.

• Dislike

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I doubt we'd have the cap space to fit Taranto, Hopper and Bowes all in.
Swap one of them for Bowes & we have nailed the draft. If Hopper selects Geelong then Bowes becomes very obtainable, classic sliding doors moment, whether it's Clark or Jefferson, Geelong have positioned themselves ridiculously well.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Bowes could easily be best 22, that trade was the golden goose & we should have been all over it.

So say we had bought bowes in ...

And we have to re-sign shai bolton.

Shai's manager goes 'bowes is on 800 to play a hbf in the vfl, we reckon that makes shai worth $8m a season'

And pick 7 could be middling, or a bust.

Yeah cats might pull it off,

But it might also be list management armeggedon

One thing i am sure of; whoever signed off on $800k a year for him will probably be on a shortlist for a cushy job in AFL house, earning more than the PM

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Swap one of them for Bowes & we have nailed the draft. If Hopper selects Geelong then Bowes becomes very obtainable, classic sliding doors moment, whether it's Clark or Jefferson, Geelong have positioned themselves ridiculously well.
Yeh, I'm not sure Bowes is the complete dud many are making him out to be.

And it would appear he is willing to accept a much reduced annualised number. If he was to play his best football he would be worth $350-400K per year anyway. He might be taking something like $450K a year over 4 years at the cats.

I would love to know how closely we looked at this opportunity. Maybe it was too hard a sell considering the salary sacrifice chimp and jack took?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeh, I'm not sure Bowes is the complete dud many are making him out to be.

And it would appear he is willing to accept a much reduced annualised number. If he was to play his best football he would be worth $350-400K per year anyway. He might be taking something like $450K a year over 4 years at the cats.

I would love to know how closely we looked at this opportunity. Maybe it was too hard a sell considering the salary sacrifice chimp and jack took?
Doubt he’s going from $1.6m over 2 years to $1.8m over 4 years MD. Not much to be gained from that. Doubt that’s what got him sold on the Cats.

They were saying on radio this morning it’s something in the vicinity of $2.3m to $2.5m over 4 years ie $575k to $625k per year.

• Wow