General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Get stuffed Kingsley, you aint getting Hugo.

View attachment 17045
I'd be tempted contemplate it.

Hugo is more expendable than Soldo regarding list balance and positional depth, but thats just my opinion.

Hugo still plays too timid for mine and hasn't really improved this area of his game in his time at the club.

He still doesn't hit contests hard enough when required to hold the opposition or footy up, and I'm sure the club will be expecting more in this area.

Kicks a nice goal but thats about his game right now he doesn't offer much else that cannot be provided by others, proven by the fact he got dropped and didn't return for the rest of the season.

Again, plenty of others here that seem to have good footy brains rate him much higher than I do.

The club has options for Hugos position, yet we have a dearth of Ruck options and Nank is now injury prone with a stuffed PCL and some recurrent groin issues for 2 seasons.

I'm a bit hesitant to tip Soldo out just yet, others would pull the trigger on Ivan and keep Hugo.

End of the day I feel GWS are pushing the RFC to cough up more than we should, or others probably would.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Doubt he’s going from $1.6m over 2 years to $1.8m over 4 years MD. Not much to be gained from that. Doubt that’s what got him sold on the Cats.

They were saying on radio this morning it’s something in the vicinity of $2.3m to $2.5m over 4 years ie $575k to $625k per year.
Probably never know? Is the $800K definitely confirmed?

Do they actually have to pay the $800K in those first 2 years or simply declare it in their cap, but actually pay him less?

From Bowes perspective if they could spread it it gives him the security of 4 years, he feels better not being the $800K a year man, he loses less in tax because he spreads it over 2 extra years (no guarantee if he stayed at Suns that he would get an extension) and overall gets to keep more of the guaranteed $1.6M

I'm unsure what he does off-field, perhaps he would have decent earning capacity outside footy etc?

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I'd be very tempted do it.

Hugo is more expendable than Soldo IMO regarding list balance and positional depth.

The club has options for Hugos position we have a dearth of Ruck options and Nank is now injury prone with a stuffed PCL and some recurrent groin issues for 2 seasons.
Agree Ralphsmith for Hopper
What's the KFC commercial?
'Take my fken money"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007

SOLDO MEETS WITH GIANTS​

RICHMOND ruckman Ivan Soldo has done a medical with Greater Western Sydney, after meeting with the club in recent days to discuss a potential reunion with new coach Adam Kingsley.

It's understood the contracted Soldo met with Giants officials while returning to his hometown of Canberra for an off-season holiday, with the club stepping up its interest in the 204cm big man.

The involvement of Soldo could help Richmond in negotiations over a deal for star midfielder Jacob Hopper. As things stand, the Giants are still searching for more than the Tigers' offer of pick No.31 and a future first-round selection.

Soldo has two seasons to run on the three-year contract he signed at Richmond in September 2021, but is hoping for more opportunities after managing only 13 games this year.

The 26-year-old Soldo has spent eight seasons at Punt Road after arriving as a rookie, including the last four working under Kingsley. The ex-Tigers assistant was appointed as the Giants' new senior coach in August. – Riley Beveridge

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
This Bowes BS needs to be stopped.

If any club takes him with that contract to be covered then they should have to take on THAT EXACT CONTRACT AT THOSE EXACT TERMS.

Maybe this crap will force a change to come in regard to this stitch up, BUT only after Geelong have benefitted from the rort this year of course.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

If any club takes him with that contract to be covered then they should have to take on THAT EXACT CONTRACT AT THOSE EXACT TERMS.

Maybe this crap will force a change to come in regard to this stitch up, BUT only after Geelong have benefitted from the rort this year.
The rule stinks but when in Rome.........................

Feb 25, 2007
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: But Geelong fans say we'd much rather Bruhn, Henry and Bowes, all cant get games with their current clubs and cats are low balling both pies and gws for these 2 players.

AFL1.jpg

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Maybe this crap will force a change to come in regard to this stitch up, BUT only after Geelong have benefitted from the rort this year of course.
Agreed, and not just because it’s Geelong. Better to do away with the salary dump option altogether.

Reactions: 1 user

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015

The most unfortunate part is they are really only taking him for the pick. He'll play a few earlier round games then see out his years in the VFL. After he finishes his contracted he'll be demister and the the youngster they pick up, if any good, will absorb his salary.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yes - it is weird - I don’t get the whole fire sale thing.

Surely when the AFL checks the books, and even when a Board, or management check the books, surely they have the simplistic excel spread sheet that shows what is going to happen, 1, 2, 3 years out and someone somewhere says, hang on a minute, you need to be able to pay for a full list plus all these back ended contracts and it ant going to work.

If you try to gamble the system, you pay, not give the advantage to someone else, as Graig said, this b dust has to stop.

Maybe if you reach salary cap capacity, you can’t bring in any more players till you can afford it and are forced to run a list with 4 or 5 fewer players till you can. If your contracted players are over, then tough, pay the penalty in fines and lost premiership points and that would soon stop clubs gaming the system.

Giving away players with their salary together with high end picks to solve this form of cheating has to stop.

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
The most unfortunate part is they are really only taking him for the pick. He'll play a few earlier round games then see out his years in the VFL. After he finishes his contracted he'll be demister and the the youngster they pick up, if any good, will absorb his salary.
Yeah; they’re purchasing a high pic.

It’s complete BS.

Where are the articles crying about how it’s ‘not in the spirit of equalisation?’ or whatever…

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah; they’re purchasing a high pic.

It’s complete BS.

Where are the articles crying about how it’s ‘not in the spirit of equalisation?’ or whatever…
I'm sure Wankley will get around to it.....................................................................................................

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

So does that mean we would have to take Hopper on his current terms as well Craigo? Because that would create an issue I reckon.

Yes - it is weird - I don’t get the whole fire sale thing.

Surely when the AFL checks the books, and even when a Board, or management check the books, surely they have the simplistic excel spread sheet that shows what is going to happen, 1, 2, 3 years out and someone somewhere says, hang on a minute, you need to be able to pay for a full list plus all these back ended contracts and it ant going to work.

If you try to gamble the system, you pay, not give the advantage to someone else, as Graig said, this b dust has to stop.

Maybe if you reach salary cap capacity, you can’t bring in any more players till you can afford it and are forced to run a list with 4 or 5 fewer players till you can. If your contracted players are over, then tough, pay the penalty in fines and lost premiership points and that would soon stop clubs gaming the system.

Giving away players with their salary together with high end picks to solve this form of cheating has to stop.

It's not that they are going over the cap, that's impossible to do. The issue they have is they are wanting to resign guys out of contract and improve contracts to young players emerging and don't have the room for them all.

The problem that needs addressing is the issues of player retention in non-Victorian states. While this go-home rubbish is in vogue the interstate clubs, and especially the non-AFL states have no choice but to load the contracts of third year players to keep them.

I don't mind the rule allowing clubs to move players like this because if they are forced by circumstances to make a big commitment early and the player doesn't come on then they need a mechanism to move them. The unusual part here is Geelong is able to take him but it just shows what a spectacular job the Geelong management and players have done in managing their TPP.