General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I have been saying it since the trades finished. We were easily the best in this trade period, bringing in elite talent. Now, Bruhn, Henry and Bowes will play games here and there. They will not change the fortunes of Geelong in 2023, Taranto and Hopper will. Yes cats did well but some media giving them A+ is a deadset crock.

I found myself debating with some cats fans. I just told them the only reason the media are harping on about your trading period is pick 7 more than the players you brought in, now if you didn't get that pick no one would bat an eyelid. It's unbelievable that hey think they did so much better than everyone else.

Trying to explain that we actually brought in elite talent Taranto and Hopper and they go on about Bowes lol, Bruhn who has potential but was in and out of the GWS side. Herny shows a bit but unless there are injuries he'll be playing reserves.

I even said to some, If 16 other clubs had a choice between Taranto/Hopper duo and Bruhn/Bows/Henry who do you think they would choose, this ain't a trick question.
Man, these cats fans are delusional. If the cats nabbed Taranto and Hopper we would be envious.

I'm still in awe with Blair pulling this off, you just don't get two elite mids in one shot. Both these two are big-bodied, play the game hard and also kick goals.

If Geelong had have nabbed just Hopper I would have been envious, that would have been bringing in a Selwood/Dangerfield replacement.

Reactions: 4 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I have been saying it since the trades finished. We were easily the best in this trade period, bringing in elite talent. Now, Bruhn, Henry and Bowes will play games here and there. They will not change the fortunes of Geelong in 2023, Taranto and Hopper will. Yes cats did well but some media giving them A+ is a deadset crock.

I found myself debating with some cats fans. I just told them the only reason the media are harping on about your trading period is pick 7 more than the players you brought in, now if you didn't get that pick no one would bat an eyelid. It's unbelievable that hey think they did so much better than everyone else.

Trying to explain that we actually brought in elite talent Taranto and Hopper and they go on about Bowes lol, Bruhn who has potential but was in and out of the GWS side. Herny shows a bit but unless there are injuries he'll be playing reserves.

I even said to some, If 16 other clubs had a choice between Taranto/Hopper duo and Bruhn/Bows/Henry who do you think they would choose, this ain't a trick question.
Man, these cats fans are delusional. If the cats nabbed Taranto and Hopper we would be envious.

I'm still in awe with Blair pulling this off, you just don't get two elite mids in one shot. Both these two are big-bodied, play the game hard and also kick goals.

If the Cats had got either of Taranto or Hopper the media would be in an unbelievable lather of (place what ever substance you like in here). If they got both there would be mass hysteria by them.
Can you imagine Whateley, Hudson or Dwaynepipe. You wouldn't be able to understand a word they were saying. They'd be almost apoplectic.

The Cats can have their 3 (1st rounders) & pick 7.

I'll take Taranto & Hopper any day.

Reactions: 8 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yeah they didn’t like the look of it but were helpless ( if you want to believe that , no proper rules in place ) and allowed it through to the keeper.

How convenient it was the Cats.

Now they will close it !

Or the rule is , example in the case of Bowes if a club takes this on they have to pay the full salary that his previous club had him on.

$800 k
$ 1.6 mil for the 2 years not be allowed to spread it over 4 years with a slight increase over the four years.

If I was a player manager of Bowes or any player in the future with the club trying to offload my client because they stuffed up their TPP, bad luck.

The AFL should come down hard on a club in the future and stipulate it in the rules, inform clubs that if they breach their TPP they are barred from participating in the draft.

They lose all their draft picks in the draft the year they breached their TPP.

Fine them also the amount they were over.

But I’m sure with the AFL’s love children the GWS & GCS there will always be a loophole as they did this time.

Clubs should be held to account for not having their house in order and clubs who take up what the Cats shouldn’t be afforded the luxury of gaining pick 7 and then playing hardball when dealing for Henry and not allowing Ratugolea to find a home……

Totally agree but they could have fixed it this year if they wanted - made Geesook do what you have suggested but for some reason chose not to.

The AFL are experts at making it up as they go or choosing to turn a blind eye when it suits. By tightening the rule up next year penalises 17 teams and benefits one surprise surprise.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
It'll depend on where Ashcroft falls. They have 2,247 points available to use this year.

Bid at 1 they need 2,400 points (3,000 x 80%)
Bid at 2 they need 2,014 points (2517 x 80%)

I don't see Ashcroft getting past a bid at North but potentially could miss the Giants if they want Cadman to carry that No. 1 pick mantle.

They will have a deficit regardless which should come off their 1st next year (they don't have one), so will come off their next pick. They probably won't end up with a lot next year either, probably a couple of 3rds but they may still do some trading to improve their draft hand a little bit.
Thats another rort.They go into deficit for Ashcroft but trade out of next years first 2rnds so are penilised with 3rd pick which is nothing.
Should be like for like at their next available 1st rnd pick in 24.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Brisbane already had a good midfield and now it's even better. Then they add Ashcroft for free and likely get another (Fletcher). How they got Dunkley for so cheap is a crime.

Geelong and Port Radelaide got much better as well. Even the Dee's got that much better.

Not sure just Hopper and Tarantula are enough. In likelihood we could be without Cotchin and Prestia for large chunks of the year and Martin is an unknown.We do have a gun in Bolton and I am ultra keen on Sonsie.

Who knows, maybe those clubs cop the injury curse like we have had for the past three years.

Just shows how hard a job list management ment is.
Brisbane 2nd to us imo.
We traded for need that got us over the line and the fact we took 5 picks in the top 30 due too fwd planning.The bonus was Hopper.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
The recruitment of Grundy by Melbourne is the strange one to me. They have the best ruck and probably the best on ball mix in the AFL and no decent key forwards and they spend big on a ruck, I don't get it
The only thing I can think of is that they think Grundy and Gawn can play as key forwards when not on the ball.
Totally agree.
Their solution get one of the softest players to wear an afl jumper in Schache.
Freo not much better either.They sold their farm on someone who's still going to be #2 ruckman.And he's no Brad Ottens when up fwd either.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021

Trying to explain that we actually brought in elite talent Taranto and Hopper and they go on about Bowes lol, Bruhn who has potential but was in and out of the GWS side. Henry shows a bit but unless there are injuries he'll be playing reserves.

The same guys were spruiking it 7 weeks ago so not sure how Geelol won the trade period?
They blew bringing in a Giants Top 5 starting Midfielder for what I would class like you a depth player.

"GWS midfielder Jacob Hopper could be on the move to Geelong next season."
04/09/2022 - By BY LACHLAN GELEIT (SEN Website)

SEN’s Sam Edmund reported last month that the Cats were “invested” in acquiring Hopper’s services and AFL journalist Damian Barrett expects him to wear the hoops next season as Geelong has “done a lot of work behind the scenes”.
“Jacob Hopper is contracted for 2023, but the Cats have done a lot of work behind the scenes to get him to want to go to Geelong.
“While he is contracted for the Giants, I expect him to be playing for the Cats next year.
So looks like Blair outplayed the Cats and the Media! TWICE!! :banana

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Younger Bro sent me a text a few days ago singin n dancin about his old flag winning pensioner team bringing in 3 young first rounder kids who were on the fringe of being champions, plus pick 7 in the draft.
Reminded him that one of his new stars was an overpaid complete throw away four year list clogger n the other two were playing magoos footy. Asked him why Ollie Henry was crying to go back home to mummy when he was only an hours drive down the road.
Haven't heard back from him yet, no idea why.
Why bother mate cats supporters are a special breed

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Who cares how the media rate the trade period?

We did well, addressed the main issue we have, the midfield, and should do well over the next few years as a result.

Brisbane did fine but I do wonder a bit given they are not really addressing their main need which is defence.

Melbourne? They need forwards and their big recruit is a ruck, which given they have possibly the best ruck going around and certainly in the top couple, seems to be addressing a need they don't have. They should have been looking for key forwards.

Geelong? Did well. Clearly some cap space to carry whatshisname from Gold Coast and get pick 7. It is a good effort when you just won the flag. Add in a couple of players who could be good and, yes, they did well, not spectacular though.

In any case, it's the trade period, want to contend again that's what matters.

The media, and very much in particular, the AFL media, have an inflated view of their importance. I care little what they say, I only know what they say from people here so at least I don't have to put up with their inflated sense of their own importance.

DS

Reactions: 9 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Brisbane Lions did very well

Getting Ashcroft , Dunkley , Gunston & Fletcher will be a fantastic result A+

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So I thought I'd take a look at what the true value of Hopper was. So between trades last year and this year (with North, Collingwood and GWS this year), the trade becomes.

In - Tarrant, Banks and Hopper
Out - CCJ, 31 (2022), 38 - became 43 (2021), 42 and 47 (2021 - I'm not sure what these picks became, I think they were swallowed up with bid matching), 51 (2022) and 70 (2022).

So across 2 drafts we gave up Pick 31 and then 5 picks over 40 to get in Hopper, Tarrant and Banks and only gave up CCJ with those picks.

Pretty fantastic trade when you look at it like that.

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
So I thought I'd take a look at what the true value of Hopper was. So between trades last year and this year (with North, Collingwood and GWS this year), the trade becomes.

In - Tarrant, Banks and Hopper
Out - CCJ, 31 (2022), 38 - became 43 (2021), 42 and 47 (2021 - I'm not sure what these picks became, I think they were swallowed up with bid matching), 51 (2022) and 70 (2022).

So across 2 drafts we gave up Pick 31 and then 5 picks over 40 to get in Hopper, Tarrant and Banks and only gave up CCJ with those picks.

Pretty fantastic trade when you look at it like that.
How about our 2023 1st rounder ?

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How about our 2023 1st rounder ?

Oops I stuffed that up, got the Taranto / Hopper trades confused. Still a good trade mind you, but probably need to mix it with the Taranto one to make more sense, but still its a bunch of crappy picks used to upgrade our picks to get some very good players in

Letsroar

Tiger Matchwinner
May 19, 2014
Brisbane Lions did very well

Getting Ashcroft , Dunkley , Gunston & Fletcher will be a fantastic result A+
went to most Brisbane home games this year. Brisbane’s issue is defence it really was poor this year. While on the surface it looks a good draft. They will remain very susceptible to any team that can break even with them in the middle

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
went to most Brisbane home games this year. Brisbane’s issue is defence it really was poor this year. While on the surface it looks a good draft. They will remain very susceptible to any team that can break even with them in the middle
There are 2 ways to consider this
1. They were always going to have to accumulate points for Ashcroft & Fletcher
2. They had a desperate need for another inside mid and went and got the perfect sidekick for Neal in Dunkley

They have no other assets to trade to get a decent defender and there really was none worth chasing even if they did , Not sure which Defender they could have chased that would be available