Gill’s legacy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gill’s legacy

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wouldn't need that amount of money if they didn't have such a bloated headquarters.

The thing is that Gil represents the neo-liberalisation of our great game. Yes there is a pile of money for those in the industry, meanwhile those not involved in the elite competition get starved. There is a complete lack of transparency, effectively a small boys' club has privatised the game for their own agrandisement. The mighty dollar trumps the interests of the average supporter. There is no balance between the interests of the average club member and the pursuit of riches.

Will the AFL continue to be able to suck at the teat of Murdoch and Stokes, or will this be the final emptying of the trough of riches from the media rights? Who knows, but the model of hitching the game's future to the riches from broadcast rights is not forward looking given the trends away from watching live TV. The neglect of the supporter base, especially club members, could well come back to bite them.

Plus, the rule changes are changing the game away from its roots. Australian football has always been a game where player movement is unrestricted unlike most football codes. I am very unconvinced that we won't end up back at rolling mauls once the coaches sort out how to game these rules. What is needed is an evolution of the game whereby it is strategy and tactics which open the game up more, not silly rule changes.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The new $ contract does not start until 2025 so might be a while before soft and hard caps get adjusted.

But looks like we have yet again played this beautifully especially if the TPP limit increases substantially. Sign Taranto and Hopper to mega deals and in two years Dusty and Lynch (their contracts started around the last big increase in TPP) come off their big contracts and we have cash to increase deals for Bolton and the rest of the kids

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Nobody seems to have picked up on this at all. The 7.30 Report on Concussions in the AFL, a few weeks ago, they used Tucky as one of the case studies, donated his brain to research. But for Gils legacy, they interviewed 2 medical researchers at 2 institutions leading major research into footy concussions and the long-term effects. CTE is the medical terms, chronic traumatic encephalopathy. These 2 scientists were scathing of the AFL, in very low-key professional ways. Both had research agreements with the AFL, both of their projects had media launches where the AFL spoke and gave their full support. Both had been promised access to players for research. 1 had been promised 85 players, and were belatedly given 5, the other one I forget the numbers they had been promised but they got none.

These are, or would be, significant, rigorous longitudinal studies into what is the most important issue for the AFL. The obvious first step in tackling the problem. And surprise surprise, the rhetoric doesn't match the reality, rigorous transparent process? Forget it. scared of the truth? Slackness and incompetence? Bit of both?

Gills legacy is woeful.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Come on, snakey. "The head is sacrosanct." That's why they pay a too high free kick to anyone who headbutts his opponent in the stomach. What more do you want? A proper crackdown on violent head-high hits that give blokes brain damage?

Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I was told Andrew Dillon is Gill's replacement.
After an expensive exhaustive worldwide search for the best person for the role, they’ve discovered that the best person was sitting in the next office? Shock horror :eek:
Who would have thought that with the afl. I’m glad I was sitting down when I heard that

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
After an expensive exhaustive worldwide search for the best person for the role, they’ve discovered that the best person was sitting in the next office? Shock horror :eek:
Who would have thought that with the afl. I’m glad I was sitting down when I heard that
He has been learning from the best.

Reactions: 1 user

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Same process they used to give the job to Gill after Dimetriou “retired“

Reactions: 4 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
To much poison running our game no wonder Warner wrote that book it's run like a boy's club.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
At least he is a Richmond supporter isn’t he?
Believe so.... will probably hand contentious Richmond decisions over to his new 2iC Brad Scott, for a fair ruling!
Suppose if all of this is true, Travis Auld will move on and save Essendon now.

Bones17

Tiger Rookie
Jul 11, 2010
The Pines
I wonder how much money was wasted on the head hunters.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah good on you Macca for negotiating, with an army of big money lawyers and consultants, a big fat broadcast deal. Players will be rapt, but it will mean more pain for us fans.

More money will bring a greater need for control, eg ARC review, greater need for more ads, so more half baked crap rule changes.

GM's stocks will be high so he'll be able to usher is preferred successor in to maintain the status quo of opaque unaccountability, lap dog board, nepotism, contracts for mates, etc etc.

Reactions: 2 users