Glenn Bartlett, Gary Pert and Simon Goodwin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Glenn Bartlett, Gary Pert and Simon Goodwin

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Or even not want the job!
The afl is a rat-infested and corrupt organisation.
Gale might actually be better off missing out or knocking back the job.

I reckon Benny would back himself to fix the joint. Its the biggest job in footy and the messaging is he wants it.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I reckon Mick Warner is right now cheering from his Portsea steps stakeout.

Reactions: 3 users

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
dead the addams family GIF

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I spoke to a friend whose son played for Melbourne until about 5 years ago and his son had told him that at social gatherings pill taking was the norm by players and officials alike including the Coach.

This article seems to confirm this culture at Melbourne.
Come on name him

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
But wait, there's more! Get out the popcorn.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/0260b607f42543c28a23d4984d1f7f3b

Paul Roos endorses Glen Bartlett, reveals the last time he had contact with Simon Goodwin​

Paul Roos has strongly endorsed former Melbourne president Glen Bartlett, likening his character to Sydney Swans icon Richard Colless.

Colless was Sydney’s president for 20 years and employed Roos as coach, as did Bartlett at Melbourne, where Roos coached for three years before handing the role to current coach Simon Goodwin.

Roos joined the Demons in 2013, when the club was at rock bottom, after meetings with Bartlett and then chief executive Peter Jackson.

“One of the reasons I went to Melbourne was obviously Peter Jackson, but Glen as well,’’ Roos said.

“He’s real values-based, understands the role of the board, I can’t speak highly enough of him.

“He was very strong on values and that’s why he and I aligned so quickly, and Peter, because when things aren’t going great, what can you hang your hat on? Bringing good people in, having a values-based system, holding people accountable…’’

Roos, who was one of the most respected voices in football, said Bartlett’s departure from the Demons in April, 2021, was “murky’’.

His comments come as Bartlett lifts the lid on the events that led to his sudden departure, just four rounds into the club’s premiership season in 2021.

“I’ve heard bits and pieces, but the only thing I could say about Glen is, when I was working with him, he was exceptional,’’ Roos said.

“He understood everything we were trying to do, and he was super supportive of me.

“Was he pushed, I don’t know, but in terms of my relationship with him, he’s just straight up, what you see is what you get, how can I help you, etc etc.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to work with Richard Colless who was great and Glen Bartlett was amazing, Andrew Ireland, Peter Jackson, they’ve all been very good.

“I’ve seen a lot of people in footy who are there for the wrong reasons, he wasn’t one of them. He wasn’t there for his own ego, or for his own success. He was pretty much there to put the club on the right path.”

Roos said he last connected with his one-time understudy Goodwin after the 2021 grand final win over the Western Bulldogs via a text message.

“I texted him and said awesome, I texted all the players I coached, and it was great to hear from Goody, saying yes, mate, we got there, the vision we had was great,’’ Roos said.

“That was the last time, a couple of years ago.’’

GOODWIN RESPONDS TO SHOCK DEMONS REVELATIONS
Lauren Wood

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin says he will not give any “oxygen” to further claims surrounding concerns relating to his alleged behaviour in recent years.

Former president Glen Bartlett revealed he was told by AFL chairman Richard Goyder that Goodwin had been monitored by league boss Gillon McLachlan and club chief executive Gary Pert for “18 months” in early 2021.

But Goodwin - who spoke on Tuesday morning - refused to answer direct questions about whether he knew.

“With all due respect, I spoke about this two years ago and I said it was irrelevant to me back then and it’s irrelevant to me now,” he said.

“I’ve got more important things to worry about in terms of Brisbane’s stoppages, Lachie Neale, their potent forward line than talking about Glen Bartlett. I’m going to leave that there.”

Bartlett said he had pushed for hair testing of AFL executives and senior coaches, and resigned as club president soon after.

Goodwin would not be drawn on whether he supported hair testing.

“As I said, I’m not going to give it any oxygen at all,” he said.

“Any thought time, any energy. It’s irrelevant to me.”

Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Reading the 2nd part of the interview in the paper today. A couple of lines intrigued me. Bartlett says Goodwin had a “medical episode” ( my quotation marks) and that it was agreed action was needed. He wanted to bring in hair testing.
What “medical episodes” would require hair testing? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Reading the 2nd part of the interview in the paper today. A couple of lines intrigued me. Bartlett says Goodwin had a “medical episode” ( my quotation marks) and that it was agreed action was needed. He wanted to bring in hair testing.
Nice to see the wider AFL community learning from past mistakes made at West Coast in the early 2000’s. Strong decisive intervention on the affected parties, health and well being of the individuals involved put above all else. No sweeping under rugs, whitewashing or heads in the sand here.

The game of AFL succeeds in spite of those running it not because of them.

Reactions: 6 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Nice to see the wider AFL community learning from past mistakes made at West Coast in the early 2000’s. Strong decisive intervention on the affected parties, health and well being of the individuals involved put above all else. No sweeping under rugs, whitewashing or heads in the sand here.

The game of AFL succeeds in spite of those running it not because of them.

My take is that Bartlett wanted the joint cleaned up and the evidence to terminate Goodwin and the AFL and Purty wanted it all swept under the carpet.

Typical of the Gilligan era

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Its exactly the reason why the vast majority of clubs (outside of a few AFL funded Interstaters) want him to get the job.

I reckon the delay in the appointment is because:

1. Goyter is being told very strongly to appoint Gale by the clubs
2. Gilligan and the Commiss are telling him to appoint Dillon
3. Goyter likes the fact Gillgan solves all the problems without the need for him to get involved; and
4. Knows Dillion isn't capable of doing that and that Gale will bring the boys club down

The longer this drags on the more likely a left field candidate is I reckon. I just wonder if the best solution for Goyter will be to appoint an external such as Fyrdenburg or Holgate to appease the factions in play here.

If he appoints Dillon then the clubs looking for a culture change will revolt, and he appoints Gale then Dillon and Auld will likely go.
Good post, but if Fraudenberg gets the job I'm buying shares in the NRL.

• Love

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
A bad perm?

• Haha

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
2 different issues, he wanted hair testing introduced and when he realised he got no support fron Gil et al and they were turning against him it lead to it affecting his mental health and contributed to his medical episode.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Roboo has taken far too much of an interest in this.

He knows something or part of something and is leading to it.

This battle will continue. Did Goodwin shaft Hird somewhere in the Essendon saga?

Has Robbo been laying in the weeds waiting for this opportunity? Feels like it.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Goodwin has sported a crew-cut for quite a few years now. And is a fan of 'the good stuff'.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
2 different issues, he wanted hair testing introduced and when he realised he got no support fron Gil et al and they were turning against him it lead to it affecting his mental health and contributed to his medical episode.
It was Goodwin that had the "medical episode".

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Alopecia?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
This whole episode for me is another example of the overreach of the industry into people's lives.

Simon Goodwin is a loose character but he is good at his job. That should be the end of his employer's interest in him.

If he has an issue that damages the reputation of the club by creating negative publicity by being charged by Police or some such then fine, be involved, but if wants to smoke hooch, pop pills, meet prostitutes, drink 6 bottles of red a night and support the umpires in his private time then it should be his business alone.

Reactions: 1 user