Glenn Bartlett, Gary Pert and Simon Goodwin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Glenn Bartlett, Gary Pert and Simon Goodwin

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
This whole episode for me is another example of the overreach of the industry into people's lives.

Simon Goodwin is a loose character but he is good at his job. That should be the end of his employer's interest in him.

If he has an issue that damages the reputation of the club by creating negative publicity by being charged by Police or some such then fine, be involved, but if wants to smoke hooch, pop pills, meet prostitutes, drink 6 bottles of red a night and support the umpires in his private time then it should be his business alone.
Oddly naive and shallow take from you TBR.

Goodwin is a public figure in a very high profile role. His actions both in and outside his job as a senior coach reflect on his club and the wider AFL community not to mention the example he sets to the 40 odd impressionable young men he oversees.

There are already allegations of a “medical episode” which if true suggest the issue is already very serious and has spilled out from being Goodwins private business. The point of intervention now, before he is arrested, charged or worse is to protect the health and well-being of the individuals involved because that’s what it’s all about right? Right?

We’ve seen what happens when issues like this are ignored or not the dealt with properly and it’s literally ruined lives.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Oddly naive and shallow take from you TBR.

Goodwin is a public figure in a very high profile role. His actions both in and outside his job as a senior coach reflect on his club and the wider AFL community not to mention the example he sets to the 40 odd impressionable young men he oversees.

There are already allegations of a “medical episode” which if true suggest the issue is already very serious and has spilled out from being Goodwins private business. The point of intervention now, before he is arrested, charged or worse is to protect the health and well-being of the individuals involved because that’s what it’s all about right? Right?

We’ve seen what happens when issues like this are ignored or not the dealt with properly and it’s literally ruined lives.

It's his life to ruin though TF and what he does in the privacy of his personal life is a matter for him, his family and friends, not his employer.

Yes, he has a role with his players and if he is executing that to a satisfactory standard then that should be enough for his club. If his personal issues are not impacting on his work performance then I maintain they are none of Melbourne's business.

Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
A drug addicted coach of kids coming out of high school and into the AFL cult. That’s what every father wants. No time for morons who are on any gear. What’s wrong with having a beer or two instead of destroying your whole being with mind altering poison.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It's his life to ruin though TF and what he does in the privacy of his personal life is a matter for him, his family and friends, not his employer.

Yes, he has a role with his players and if he is executing that to a satisfactory standard then that should be enough for his club. If his personal issues are not impacting on his work performance then I maintain they are none of Melbourne's business.
A medical episode at a club function is hardly in "his personal life".

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
That's true and depending on what the issue was it could certainly be relevant. Still doesn't give any grounds to invade someone's life with hair testing though.
Hair testing should be done across the board, including administrators and commentators.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Why? Why should they be any different to other people doing jobs?

Why don't we hair test teachers or police or nurses?
I don't know whether it's an industry policy for teachers, police and nurses, but hair testing is an AFL Industry Policy, it should apply to all those in the industry, commentators, administrators and the like, imo.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I worked in a major hazardous facility. Operators were subject to random D&A testing (even though the unions didn't like it) due to the consequences of messing up potentially being severe to their colleagues and the surrounding community.

We tend to draw a distinction between risks that involve physical damage to others (e.g. driving a vehicle you can be randomly breath tested) vs those that involve mental damage to others. e.g. a leader / role model doing something that can influence others in (at least in perception of society) a negative manner.

An AFL coach has some of that expectation about them as a leader so get judged on a higher standard than the physio or stats taker. I think you almost need to write it into the job contract though for it to be OK vs being some kind of ephemeral standard that the media can pick and choose on.

Reactions: 1 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Why? Why should they be any different to other people doing jobs?

Why don't we hair test teachers or police or nurses?
Great idea anyone with an ATO or Centrelink number should be tested.
If they’re on Centrelink and they test positive, cut their benefits. Anyone else, hefty fine to help fund hospitals, outpatient clinics, police and drug rehab facilities

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I don't know whether it's an industry policy for teachers, police and nurses, but hair testing is an AFL Industry Policy, it should apply to all those in the industry, commentators, administrators and the like, imo.

I think the hair testing of players is absolutely wrong as well, as is the entire illicit drugs policy.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Avoid Trust No One GIF by BBC