Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tiny country vs huge country. Less transmission lines required. Less transmission losses, voltage drop. Less infrastructure. The list goes on.
It's like licking a stamp vs licking an a3 sheet.

they are legit factors but peripheral. We can, and are to some extent, doing the same state by state, well populated region by region. Scotland is effectively a state or region of the UK. The Scotland/ Vic, southern SA, SE QLD are better comparisons.

The big difference? One country has a huge vested interest in coal and the other doesn't.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tiny country vs huge country. Less transmission lines required. Less transmission losses, voltage drop. Less infrastructure. The list goes on.

Yet there's a heavily invested private venture to sell Australian solar energy to Singapore. If private investors think it's viable and think they can send the power to Singapore, then surely the technology is there to overcome all of your above blockers.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He's playing with fire, the trouble is it won't be him that gets burnt, it's us mugs.
Ooooh yeah. Old mate Chairman Xi is just quietly rummaging around n sinking hooks into countries all over the world. Sneaky bastard might just end up owning more than half of it before anyone wakes up n goes Oi. By then it'll be too late she cried n everyone will be running around in little Mao hats n coats eatin won tons n noodles for breakfast lunch n tea.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ooooh yeah. Old mate Chairman Xi is just quietly rummaging around n sinking hooks into countries all over the world. Sneaky bastard might just end up owning more than half of it before anyone wakes up n goes Oi. By then it'll be too late she cried n everyone will be running around in little Mao hats n coats eatin won tons n noodles for breakfast lunch n tea.
I could chow down on a bit of rice or noodles, but I'm stuffed if I'll eat bats, rats or cats.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
When your first retort is always to start playing the party line, left vs right, it really gets tiring. Do you think you can have a serious debate without needing to play the Sky After Dark card all the time?
Tell me about it!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yep, Scotland, more room for solar, oh, wait a minute . . . less room for solar panels. More sunshine, oh, wait a minute . . . less sunshine. More room for wind farms, oh wait a minute . . .

You get the idea.

If Scotland can do this then we certainly can.

What about more offshore wind farms, solar farms all over the place, pumped hydro, tidal, solar collecting power stations.

Australia is missing a huge opportunity here beause of the shortsightedness of government after government.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Yet there's a heavily invested private venture to sell Australian solar energy to Singapore. If private investors think it's viable and think they can send the power to Singapore, then surely the technology is there to overcome all of your above blockers.

Interesting. I'd like to know a bit more about that Baloo

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Comrade Dan is in his sixth year in the chair. He got $10b for jam by leasing Melbourne's port and is broke already.

Apparently hundreds of turbines are planned for 600 square km of Bass Strait and might supply as m
A
we are trying our darnedest to get the population up though.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I noticed the term "climate fires" being used tyo describe this summers bushfires. Soon it will be climate floods, climate storms....

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I noticed the term "climate fires" being used tyo describe this summers bushfires. Soon it will be climate floods, climate storms....
Yep scary innit. Funny thing is we'd all be *smile* without climate in the first place n now everyone's screaming n crying because we've got some. People should just stop fussin n carrying on, making a drama out of everything n deal with whatever *smile* happens in front of them.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Yep scary innit. Funny thing is we'd all be ****** without climate in the first place n now everyone's screaming n crying because we've got some. People should just stop fussin n carrying on, making a drama out of everything n deal with whatever **** happens in front of them.
But then they can’t use it as a tool to impose their worldview on everyone else.