Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Lets be truly fair dinkum, why should Aust phase them out. Aust footprint on CO2 is so small its irrelevant.
I get the requirement to do our bit, otherwise the whole agreement falls apart. But it’s not a one-size-fits-all problem. Australia’s power distribution needs are not as simply solved as those of a geographically much smaller country.

China is investing colossal money into Africa. When those countries start to prosper they’re going to demand their own CO2 exemptions, and the Robin Hoods at the UN will comply.

Reactions: 1 user

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
I get the requirement to do our bit, otherwise the whole agreement falls apart. But it’s not a one-size-fits-all problem. Australia’s power distribution needs are not as simply solved as those of a geographically much smaller country.

China is investing colossal money into Africa. When those countries start to prosper they’re going to demand their own CO2 exemptions, and the Robin Hoods at the UN will comply.
Yeah, I know its important to show somehow we are doing something & Aust should try to make the plant's emissions better. Invest in tech or look at alternatives. Eg even Nuclear plants for cities

Also agree how I feel China in its investment into these coal plants / mines in other countries gets around "targets"
Im sure other countries already see it but they cant stop it.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Oh fine, let's not do our bit, expect others to do their bit, but assume they won't and let climate change wreak havoc on the planet.

The rest of the world is convinced of climate change as are most of the Australian population, the science tells us it is happening. The problem is too many powerful vested interests are able to slow and even stop the inevitable transition.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The rest of the world is convinced of climate change
They're not convinced of the emergency narrative because there has been no increase in extreme weather events, contrary to UN predictions. The public is also tiring of the failed prophecies of doom. Hence we are seeing slow progress and outright stalling.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Two things - Australian exports of coal and LNG are not counted towards our greenhouse gas contributions although they contribute massively to emissions.

And the typical conservative line - similar to Covid - of "just let everyone else do it" won't fly for much longer. As far as "international stalling" goes, Trump is gone as the great white hope of the climate change deniers and SloMo is reluctantly, kicking and screaming falling into line.

The shift of business and government away from fossil fuels is accelerating. Even the big traditional oil and gas firms like BP and Shell know the writing is on the wall - BP's strategy is to become an "integrated energy company" and they are still one of the slower to react.

Anyhoo this thread has turned into an empty vessel, so I'm out. Have fun y'all.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They're not convinced of the emergency narrative because there has been no increase in extreme weather events, contrary to UN predictions. The public is also tiring of the failed prophecies of doom. Hence we are seeing slow progress and outright stalling.

Nah, nothing to see here, no extreme weather events happening at all.

Because, as we all know, 46.6 degrees in British Columba is just a mildly warm day for early summer in Canada. :rolleyes:

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Nah, nothing to see here, no extreme weather events happening at all.

Because, as we all know, 46.6 degrees in British Columba is just a mildly warm day for early summer in Canada. :rolleyes:
Re-read the last IPCC report.

"Numerous studies towards and beyond AR5 have reported a decreasing trend in the global number of tropical cyclones and/or the globally accumulated cyclonic energy... Using a relatively short (20 year) and relatively homogeneous remotely sensed record, Klotzbach (2006) reported no significant trends in global cyclonic activity, consistent with more recent findings of Holland and Bruyère (2014).... Moreover, studies that have used more homogeneous records, but were consequently limited to rather short periods of 20 to 25 years, have reported no statistically significant trends or decreases in the global number of these systems .There is consequently low confidence in the conclusion that the number of very intense cyclones is increasing globally."

“low confidence in the sign of drought trends since 1950 at global scale"

“low confidence... that anthropogenic climate change has affected the frequency and the magnitude of floods”

2018 IPCC Report

If they're telling you the evidence is weak, it's pretty *smile* weak!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Wow, you really must take everyone for an idiot.

You said no extreme weather events.

I cited, from recent days, an extreme weather event in the form of high temperatures in Canada.

You come back with quotes about cyclones, hurricanes, flooding, droughts . . . yep, everything but temperature.

Well done, nice dodging and weaving, ever consider taking up boxing? I hear dodging and weaving are useful skills in boxing.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You come back with quotes about cyclones, hurricanes, flooding, droughts . . . yep, everything but temperature.
It’s all part of the narrative. Don’t try to tell me you haven’t heard the predictions of increased hurricanes over the last 15 years. It’s been a major alarmist selling point.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Lets be truly fair dinkum, why should Aust phase them out. Aust footprint on CO2 is so small its irrelevant. China with 184 coal plants being rushed is the issue + others they(China) are setting up in other countries. They are increasing CO2 in recent yrs. Who is going to stop them. No-one. Those long term targets what 2050 - 2060 are just laughable

What was it, forget which city in China equalled the whole of Australia's CO2. The over fishing as already metntioned of our oceans are the key issues that should be tackled. The crap that gets dumped in our oceans is beyond a joke. Tackle that not plastic straws.

Viable & large employment options in providing power alternatives and infrastructures need to be in place before any considerations of a phase out imo. Or even look at making the coal plants more efficient in CO2 emissions and greener. Mining is mining, to me its irrelevant its for precious metals or coal. Same. Its making the use of coal safer might be the better options.
depends how you look at it. Why shouldn’t China be allowed to catch up if we don’t want to come down?

why doesn’t global warming involve a conversation about world population?ACA863B9-F49F-4A16-B101-1677CEE9863E.jpeg

this chart made me wonder about the blob north of China. (Mongolia). If you are curious - https://www.climatelinks.org/resources/greenhouse-gas-emissions-factsheet-mongolia

Last edited:

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Look at the areas where birth rates are in decline (the west) and where they're rising (everywhere else) and consider that the climate thing is UN-driven.
co2 growth will mainly driven by rising standards of living. With that said the folks with the both financial and technical capital are the ones that can most likely drive change - so I don’t have that chart but imagine would match up more with UN

not sure how you can address population growth….. we Can’t get people to wear masks properly

ive managed to squeeze in a one week holiday in cairns from vic and avoid a lockdown. (fly back tomorrow). We went on a reef snorkel today. Seemed pretty clear that bleaching events (driven by rising seawater temperature) have increased but we did learn how the ones from a few years ago were in different locations to the most recent one and that when temperatures drop within a few months the reef recovers. Looks pretty grim though that if we meet Paris 2050 70-80% of global coral reefs are toast.