Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Heat is trapped below the jet stream which can occur during periods of weak solar activity. Meanwhile above the jet stream, temperatures have been up to 20 degrees colder than average.

gfs_T2ma_us_4-1.png

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't know what the temperatures have been elsewhere, but the all time Canadian temperature record which sat at 45 degrees a week ago, has now been broken a few times and sits at 49.6 degrees. 49.6 degrees, and that's very far North, this is beyond the 50 degree mark North of the equator, we are about 38 degrees South in Melbourne to give you some idea.

Nah, nothing to see here :rolleyes:

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Gee it's been hot before, who would have thought.

People got cancer before smoking was a thing too, you going to argue smoking doesn't cause cancer now?

When was the last time a weather record for a whole country was broken by 4 degrees I wonder?

Actually, the answer is never:

Otherworldly heat records

Never in the century-plus history of world weather observation have so many all-time heat records fallen by such a large margin than in the past week’s historic heat wave in western North America. The only heat wave that compares is the great Dust Bowl heat wave of July 1936 in the U.S. Midwest and south-central Canada. But even that cannot compare to what happened in the Northwest U.S. and western Canada over the past week.
“This is the most anomalous regional extreme heat event to occur anywhere on Earth since temperature records began. Nothing can compare,” said weather historian Christopher Burt, author of the book “Extreme Weather.”
Pointing to Lytton, Canada, he added, “There has never been a national heat record in a country with an extensive period of record and a multitude of observation sites that was beaten by 7°F to 8°F.”
International weather records researcher Maximiliano Herrera (@extremetemps) agrees. “What we are seeing now is totally unprecedented worldwide,” said Herrera, who tweeted on June 30, “It’s an endless waterfall of records being smashed.”

The weather records tumble, but mostly in one direction:

Preliminary data from NOAA’s U.S. Records website shows that 55 U.S. stations had the highest temperatures in their history in the week ending June 28. More than 400 daily record highs were set. Over the past year, the nation has experienced about 38,000 daily record highs versus about 18,500 record lows, consistent with the 2:1 ratio of hot to cold records set in recent years.

Here is the full article which the above quotes are from: https://yaleclimateconnections.org/...lds-most-extreme-heat-wave-in-modern-history/

Also, I think I read the other day that there have never been temperatures this high so far from the equator in the records we have. 49.6 in Canada - Canada, you know, the place where they have 4 seasons (explained to me by a Canadian once): pre-winter, winter, post-winter and construction season. 49.6 in Canada, that's 120F, not in NSW but Canada.

Are you seriously telling me warming isn't happening?

I'm sure they have had weather patterns like this in SW Canada before, but they never got temperatures like this before. More heatwaves and hotter heatwaves, these are part of the impact of climate change.

Maybe we will see temperatures this high in the future, who knows, but Melbourne has never been as hot as Canada has been this week.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The Canada heatwave is due to a meridional (i.e. wavy) jet stream. Here's a timely article from earlier in the year.

Blaming a wiggly jet stream on climate change? Not so fast

The weather records tumble, but mostly in one direction:

Preliminary data from NOAA’s U.S. Records website shows that 55 U.S. stations had the highest temperatures in their history in the week ending June 28. More than 400 daily record highs were set. Over the past year, the nation has experienced about 38,000 daily record highs versus about 18,500 record lows, consistent with the 2:1 ratio of hot to cold records set in recent years.

About the ratio you'd expect under gradual warming.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So, a wavy jetstream? Since we all know this has happened before, how come this time it leads to not just high temperatures, but to record breaking temperatures, not just record breaking but big increases in the record?

The jetstream is very complex and we don't understand it fully. There are a lot of influences.

But the reality is that we have seen records broken by large margins. For the record high temperature to increase by 4 degrees in one week is significant.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Bills on board nuclear

Yesterday, a bipartisan group of leaders in the U.S. Senate introduced the Nuclear Energy Leadership Act, which establishes an ambitious plan to accelerate the development of advanced nuclear reactor technologies. I can’t overstate how important this is.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bills on board nuclear

Yesterday, a bipartisan group of leaders in the U.S. Senate introduced the Nuclear Energy Leadership Act, which establishes an ambitious plan to accelerate the development of advanced nuclear reactor technologies. I can’t overstate how important this is.

Hmm, 20 years of energy if we ramp up the use of uranium and 250,000 years of toxic waste.

No thanks.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
NASA says moon 'wobble' will cause record flooding in 2030s

Thanks to a "wobble" in the moon's orbit and rising sea levels, every coast in the United States will face rapidly increasing high tides that will start "a decade of dramatic increases in flood numbers" in the 2030s.

The conclusion, which was published in the Nature Climate Change journal by NASA Sea Level Change Science Team from the University of Hawaii, has to do with the moon's orbit, which takes 18.6 years to complete, according to NASA.

For half of that time period, Earth's regular daily tides are suppressed with high tides at a low average and low tides happening at a higher rate. In the other half of the cycle, the opposite occurs.

"High tides get higher, and low tides get lower. Global sea-level rise pushes high tides in only one direction – higher. So half of the 18.6-year lunar cycle counteracts the effect of sea-level rise on high tides, and the other half increases the effect," NASA explains.

The moon is in its tide-amplifying cycle right now, and there is no cause for concern of dramatic flooding given sea levels in the U.S. haven't risen much. However, when the moon returns to the tide-amplifying cycle, the seas will have had nearly a decade to rise.

"The higher seas, amplified by the lunar cycle, will cause a leap in flood numbers on almost all U.S. mainland coastlines, Hawaii, and Guam. Only far northern coastlines, including Alaska’s, will be spared for another decade or longer because these land areas are rising due to long-term geological processes," NASA said Wednesday.

How severe will the floods be? In 2019, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported more than 600 floods.

By the mid-2030s, scientists expect three to four times that amount.

NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said the combination of the moon's gravitation pull, which causes tides in the first place, and climate change are the reasons behind the expected flooding.

"Low-lying areas near sea level are increasingly at risk and suffering due to the increased flooding, and it will only get worse,” Nelson said in the statement.

The study also determined some floods could happen in clusters, meaning they may last more than a month. Depending on the positioning of the moon, sun and Earth, cities may experience a flood in consecutive days or every other day.

While the amount of flooding won't be as much as a hurricane causes, having such frequent flooding can result in heavy economic damage.

"If it floods 10 or 15 times a month, a business can’t keep operating with its parking lot underwater. People lose their jobs because they can’t get to work. Seeping cesspools become a public health issue," said Phil Thompson, an assistant professor at the University of Hawaii and lead author of the study.

NASA hopes the release of its findings will help at-risk cities take measures to prevent too much damage.

Rising sea levels already have made living on the coast risky. Some experts say it may have played a role in the catastrophic collapse of a condo building in Surfside, Florida.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Why are billionaires spending billions of dollars to send themselves into space when we've already been there? (Bezos & Branson)

They could be spending their money on looking after this planet. Are they looking to escape this earth..?

Either way I couldn't give a *smile* about their space projects.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Why are billionaires spending billions of dollars to send themselves into space when we've already been there? (Bezos & Branson)

They could be spending their money on looking after this planet. Are they looking to escape this earth..?

Either way I couldn't give a *smile* about their space projects.
It's man's destiny to travel to the stars (assuming we don't wipe ourselves out first). Easy to be cynical about these commercial ventures, but it's encouraging that private enterprise can make the journey safely. Watched the Branson flight and thought it was pretty amazing.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We ain't going to the stars unless we can sort out that speed of light speed limit. Still, a topic for a different thread, but we are way off getting anywhere interesting.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
We ain't going to the stars unless we can sort out that speed of light speed limit. Still, a topic for a different thread, but we are way off getting anywhere interesting.

DS

Could go to the rest of the solar system though. I understand the sentiment about Bezos, Branson and Musk but if it leads to more funding for space flight it could lead to good things. But then I've always been a science fiction fan.