Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
That makes , at worst, possibly 17 out of the top 25 in the world at the Phoenix ….which is a stacked field in anyone’s language.

Don't dispute it's a good field, the PGA tour forcing them to play these events has made sure of that.

But I still don't think WGR means much now, system is too flawed.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Jason Day has quietly been coming back in to very good form.

6 Top 20's in his last 9 starts including 2 Top 10's. Might be his week.
Great start, 4 under after 10 with 2 x Par's to come on back 9. Pity he couldn't finish his round.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I didn’t realise this but it makes sense. If a player gets a bad lie in the bunker from a bad raking on the PGA Tour they can can call a rules official and the Tour will find out (apparently) which player’s caddy didn’t rake the bunker properly and fine the player.

Anyway, that had me thinking that if we had the same application at my golf club, then 80% of those getting in a bunker would be getting fined every week. And that’s 80% of the field !

In fact, we’d be lucky to have 50% of the bunkerites make a reasonable attempt without foot marks and then maybe 25% not even bother.

And the ones who did bother would probably leave the rake leaning up against the wall of the *** bunker anyway the morons.

Last edited:

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I didn’t realise this but it makes sense. If a player gets a bad lie in the bunker from a bad raking on the PGA Tour they can can call a rules official and the Tour will find out (apparently) which player’s caddy didn’t rake the bunker properly and fine the player.

I heard them say that today as well.

I was under the impression they had a 'raker' who wanders around with each group, or sits at each hole and cleans them up but that must only be at some tournaments.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

I was under the impression they had a 'raker' who wanders around with each group, or sits at each hole and cleans them up but that must only be at some tournaments.
Must be.

In further developments on the rake front - and you’ll love this being a “leave it in the bunker” proponent - it seems that Australia is heading the way of the U.S. and dictating that players should leave it outside of the bunker, on the ground. All players at the Australian Open were told to leave it outside of the bunker and I understand a number of metro clubs have started doing the same.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Must be.

In further developments on the rake front - and you’ll love this being a “leave it in the bunker” proponent - it seems that Australia is heading the way of the U.S. and dictating that players should leave it outside of the bunker, on the ground. All players at the Australian Open were told to leave it outside of the bunker and I understand a number of metro clubs have started doing the same.

Personally I don't hit it in bunkers, so I think those who do should have to deal with the rakes. Leave the grass to the real golfers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
You hit it wider than the bunkers ? Wow. You sound like Burnside.

Pick a club that will go to the back of the green at maximum and no further, aim at the centre regardless of where the flag is and hit a consistent shape off the tee and you'll never see one again either.

Unless you putt them off the green into them of course.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Pick a club that will go to the back of the green at maximum and no further, aim at the centre regardless of where the flag is and hit a consistent shape off the tee and you'll never see one again either.

Unless you putt them off the green into them of course.
Right. Got it. You bunt it up the middle short of the greens and bunkers, hence you’re never in them, then rely on your short game to get up and down.

Cool. My sister plays like that.

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane

Struggling to remember now, but I think they do have designated rakers at Augusta.

What I do remember for sure is that during practice rounds, after a player hit a shot from the sand, these guys would appear with a long wispy kane and use it to brush any sand that splashed onto the green back into the bunker.

Don‘t recall seeing them doing it on tournament days, mind you I wasn’t looking for them either. But would stand to reason they would be there Thurs through Sunday too.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Not sure IIRC but I think I heard Peter Thomson say bunkers shouldn’t be raked, they are effectively penalty areas and you should suffer for hitting in them.

Personally I think the rake should be left in the bunker. And agree on fining selfish *smile* for not raking them properly

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not sure IIRC but I think I heard Peter Thomson say bunkers shouldn’t be raked, they are effectively penalty areas and you should suffer for hitting in them.

Personally I think the rake should be left in the bunker. And agree on fining selfish *smile* for not raking them properly
Yep he did . soft sand bunkers would be a nightmare, wouldn’t mind seeing more broomed/brushed instead of raked

We have 102 on our course , approximately 100 man hours a week spent “ maintaining” them .

We have a major issue with golfers walking up the face of bunkers and no matter where the rakes are they still go “ as the crow flies” to their ball, all comes back to the poor standard of golfers etiquette nowadays.

That stadium hole WOW , great for golf and great to hear Michael Jackson commentating the golf ;)

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The problem with not raking bunkers though is that when players get in them, they’ll try to create lies with their feet and club that if anyone else gets in, they won’t be able to get the ball out of the bunker ie doctoring the bunker and creating artificially bad lies for others. And that’s why there’s a fine for not raking the bunker properly on the PGA Tour.

Maybe clubs should do what Oakmont CC does ? It’s a half way measure for both sides of the fence: rakes with 4 inch teeth on them that furrow the bunker.

1676064015531.jpeg

1676064126962.jpeg

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hey Rickie you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Rickie !!!!

Good to see Rickie Fowler in contention at Scottsdale. Has teased everyone the last year or so with a good round here and there, only to follow it up with a shocker.

I've been a fan for a while now, because he was good mates with Jarrod Lyle, who's life ended way too early.

Come on Rickie, I'm rooting for you.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Hey Rickie you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Rickie !!!!

Good to see Rickie Fowler in contention at Scottsdale. Has teased everyone the last year or so with a good round here and there, only to follow it up with a shocker.

I've been a fan for a while now, because he was good mates with Jarrod Lyle, who's life ended way too early.

Come on Rickie, I'm rooting for you.
The jet ski salesman. Or, as the fans call him, Big D*** Rick !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user