Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

I hope we keep him for at least another year. There has been criticism of the club for holding onto tall players for too long ala Todd Elton, but i reckon Mabs has more still has improvement left in him. I doubt he'll be a 200 gamer but i feel he hasn't hit his ceiling yet and we should persist developing him for another season. Hopefully this run of games will be the making of him, guess we'll find out.

If only he had the intensity to be a key back man.
Too often he is caught ball watching although he has finesse and can run.
Would be great to have him replace Astbury
Nyuon is your man. Reads the play well, long term KPD replacement for Astbury IMO

Reactions: 2 users
I had him delist quality 2 weeks ago.
But i think he is the most mobile tall we have on our list.
But because he walks at times instead of running, it burns the supporters.
I think with lynch out these next 5 weeks will show exactly if he stays or he will be let go.
**How do you teach 'urgency'?

Reactions: 1 users
Not to mention that too often, his first inclination is to walk after being in a contest - particularly aerial ones - instead of getting on his bike and making second and third efforts i.e. cornerstone stuff that our success has been built around.
Good point.
he is not instinctive.

But Chol has now ingrained an immediate auto response to contest for a ground ball, after a centre ruck contest.
If that is trainable, then I have hope for the rest.

I thought Chol was pretty poor on Sunday. With ball in hand he is pretty good. Good user and usually good decision maker. Nice lateral movement too. But he was so uncompetitive in so many aerial contests ( if he managed to get to them). Two goals is OK but pretty flukey goals. Needs to up his game to keep his spot.

I thought Chol was pretty poor on Sunday. With ball in hand he is pretty good. Good user and usually good decision maker. Nice lateral movement too. But he was so uncompetitive in so many aerial contests ( if he managed to get to them). Two goals is OK but pretty flukey goals. Needs to up his game to keep his spot.
There was a play on the Crows D50, ball came in and Cholly went up one handed and just tapped the ball away. He was worried about contact. Looked a bit silly.

Reactions: 1 user
There was a play on the Crows D50, ball came in and Cholly went up one handed and just tapped the ball away. He was worried about contact. Looked a bit silly.
Noticed that at the time too.... Sort of hard to figure out if you're playing ruck or flying for pack marks as a forward. .... he continues to be an enigma I reckon.

What I found interesting is out of Chol's 22 games only 2 has he played more than 70% of the game. Quite a few he's played less than 60%. Is that coincidental or does he have stamina issues and maybe one of the reasons he goes missing alot, that he just can't sustain the effort?
Probably both. Doesn't find the ball enough, doesn't always make a contest or fully competes. He's only good in the ruck at the centre bounce where the rules prevent body contact. Around the ground at ball ups or throw ins, he's easily beaten. If we're to lose a tall at season's end, he's the one.

O'Brien is one of the better ruckman in the league and a good barometer for Mabior. I thought Cholly demonstrated improvement on last year with a willingness to compete. Based on his comments, he knows this is weakness and is working hard on it.

Overall I thought it was a serviceable game and we looked much better with two rucks. He is possibly one of the better second rucks going around. I hope he can build on it against Essendon, who has an average ruck group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
O'Brien is one of the better ruckman in the league and a good barometer for Mabior. I thought Cholly demonstrated improvement on last year with a willingness to compete. Based on his comments, he knows this is weakness and is working hard on it.

Overall I thought it was a serviceable game and we looked much better with two rucks. He is possibly one of the better second rucks going around. I hope he can build on it against Essendon, who has an average ruck group.

Good thing about Zombie and Chol as second rucks is that they both can kick goals down forward.

Well here you go Mabs, I hope he grabs this opportunity with both hands.

Reactions: 3 users
There was a centre bounce or ball up in the middle and the ball went slightly to Chol's side
Chol went up high and O'Brien stayed down

Chol won the tap obviously with a beautiful tap down to ............................. O'brien ! Literally down his throat
i just laughed

There was a centre bounce or ball up in the middle and the ball went slightly to Chol's side
Chol went up high and O'Brien stayed down

Chol won the tap obviously with a beautiful tap down to ............................. O'brien ! Literally down his throat
i just laughed
That happens often; I've seen Nank and most top rucks do it sometime. Ex-RFC premiership ruckman, Shaun Grigg, used to try it frequently and exploited it several times.
Looks terrible but obviously a ruck watching the ball closely at their leap cannot keep eyes on ground level too. Probably a mid has not moved where they were supposed to go. Luckily most other rucks who benefit just do a hack kick forward.

Far more worrying was Mabs strange, soft 'volleyball' tap on a high ball down back that should have been a simple uncontested mark. That annoyed me.

Yep make or break time next few weeks. Good chance against first up opponent, quite old and not roo experienced at AFL level.

Far more worrying was Mabs strange, soft 'volleyball' tap on a high ball down back that should have been a simple uncontested mark. That annoyed me.

That was definitely odd, particularly because I thought he was competing well in the air ground otherwise (I loved the aggressive spoil on the wing coming out of f50, I hadn’t seen that from Chol before). I’d have to watch it again but it looked like the whole pack misread the ball in flight - Chol definitely did because he looked surprised to find himself alone under the ball.

Reactions: 1 users
That was definitely odd, particularly because I thought he was competing well in the air ground otherwise (I loved the aggressive spoil on the wing coming out of f50, I hadn’t seen that from Chol before). I’d have to watch it again but it looked like the whole pack misread the ball in flight - Chol definitely did because he looked surprised to find himself alone under the ball.

Sometimes players in defence do that, not just Mabs.