Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Rucking contest free kick seem a lottery to everyone.

At ball ups Chol was using his great leap and was on top.
To nullify, the Adelaide ruck was allowed to stand beside Chol, then just bear hug him to stop his leap.

How is that not a free kick?

Reactions: 4 users
Kicked one goal lurking out the back and another from a hack (pressured) kick forward. Is abysmal in a contest and still has no game sense. The ongoing support for him by some boggles my mind.

Watching the replay it was actually good play by Chol to lurk out the back as both Riewoldt and CCJ had gone into the pack.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t want to be harsh on Marbs , however in the first couple of contests and also his attack at Jack’s mark were superb he was a beast , however then that’s *smile* poor effort at the start of the last was simply not good enough , however my biggest concern is the contest he doesn’t even get too , there the ones where he could get to a marking contest and cause a spillage , however he stays 20 metres back of the play and doesn’t try. Really really like the young man , love his talent , however he plays way too much as a liability too often in games .

Could win us a final and could also lose us one .

Reactions: 2 users
2 goals & some good centre bounce work from your backup ruckman/3rd tall is a good result.

That's a positive way to look at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Rucking contest free kick seem a lottery to everyone.

At ball ups Chol was using his great leap and was on top.
To nullify, the Adelaide ruck was allowed to stand beside Chol, then just bear hug him to stop his leap.

How is that not a free kick?

Please direct all umpire queries to @The Big Richo. Thank you.

Simply must keep playing him at least until Lynch is back.

Weren't we crying out for the extra tall? We don't have any others. He will continue to provide much-needed relief for Nank, and a stretch of games can only improve him. He's played 22.

Reactions: 6 users
I don’t want to be harsh on Marbs , however in the first couple of contests and also his attack at Jack’s mark were superb he was a beast , however then that’s *smile* poor effort at the start of the last was simply not good enough , however my biggest concern is the contest he doesn’t even get too , there the ones where he could get to a marking contest and cause a spillage , however he stays 20 metres back of the play and doesn’t try. Really really like the young man , love his talent , however he plays way too much as a liability too often in games .

Not to mention that too often, his first inclination is to walk after being in a contest - particularly aerial ones - instead of getting on his bike and making second and third efforts i.e. cornerstone stuff that our success has been built around.

Reactions: 1 users
Watching the replay it was actually good play by Chol to lurk out the back as both Riewoldt and CCJ had gone into the pack.

Plenty of cheap goals available for loiterers. Heck, Josh Jenkins had a moderately successful career doing just that. The problem is in the high pressure game like a final when the loiterers are left doing just that, loitering and nothing more.

Our game plan works best with 22 contributors, not 21.

Reactions: 3 users
That pretty much sums him up. High risk, high reward.

But if you have enough other good cattle, so that he's generally in your bottom six, the risk can be worth it.

I think his entire future depends on him reaching that point (very soon) where he really decides he belongs, and performs accordingly.

That pretty much sums him up. High risk, high reward.

But if you have enough other good cattle, so that he's generally in your bottom six, the risk can be worth it.

I think his entire future depends on him reaching that point (very soon) where he really decides he belongs, and performs accordingly.
The big key for me T_C is do we have other options for his role on our list , I think we do, I’d rather play CJ, with Nank, Jack and Lynch, if we didn’t have Jack or Lynch on the list I’d play him for the rest of the season in hope it clicks , however for me his purely a back up player now and would trade him out at seasons end .

What I found interesting is out of Chol's 22 games only 2 has he played more than 70% of the game. Quite a few he's played less than 60%. Is that coincidental or does he have stamina issues and maybe one of the reasons he goes missing alot, that he just can't sustain the effort?

The big key for me T_C is do we have other options for his role on our list , I think we do, I’d rather play CJ, with Nank, Jack and Lynch, if we didn’t have Jack or Lynch on the list I’d play him for the rest of the season in hope it clicks , however for me his purely a back up player now and would trade him out at seasons end .
Thing is, Chol is clearly better in the ruck than CJ. And Lynch and CJ in one forward line is less mobile.

What I found interesting is out of Chol's 22 games only 2 has he played more than 70% of the game. Quite a few he's played less than 60%. Is that coincidental or does he have stamina issues and maybe one of the reasons he goes missing alot, that he just can't sustain the effort?
There might be something in that, or it could be Dimma doesn't like too many big blokes detracting from our run. Be interesting to compare TOG for Soldo, and for Nank when Soldo plays. I feel like Soldo had some games with TOG % in the 40s.

I’m not convinced that Chol will be a better ruck then CJ, Chols performance in the VFL last week and his 3rd quarter yesterday however were very encouraging, however has a history of avoiding contact when rucking, gets that out of his game and then I’d agree, I’m still taking CJ over Chol, just because of effort

If only he had the intensity to be a key back man.
Too often he is caught ball watching although he has finesse and can run.
Would be great to have him replace Astbury

Plenty of cheap goals available for loiterers. Heck, Josh Jenkins had a moderately successful career doing just that. The problem is in the high pressure game like a final when the loiterers are left doing just that, loitering and nothing more.

Our game plan works best with 22 contributors, not 21.

That one instance he played it sensibly. Jack and CCJ were already in the pack. We didn't need three talls in there.

Later in the game Chol went when it was his turn and had the leap and position to take a very good mark. Took some brilliance from Jack to steal it away from him.

There might be something in that, or it could be Dimma doesn't like too many big blokes detracting from our run. Be interesting to compare TOG for Soldo, and for Nank when Soldo plays. I feel like Soldo had some games with TOG % in the 40s.
Soldo TOG 4 games in the 40s or lower including his last game knee injury. Listen to this though, other 3 games were all against GWS.

I wonder if that worsens the perception that he goes missing too often. It's because he's on the bench.

Some harsh comments in this guy. He’s gonna be a player. Love it when he’s got the ball in hand. Will see it more often when he gets fitter, stronger and more experienced. Still a baby in football terms. A different player to CCJ but more flexibility and upside for mine. They both could have good futures at the tigers though.