Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Harry said:
Not a ruckman. Got smashed and way too soft. Soldo is not the answer but he would have halved most of the ruck contests. The crows were getting first use all night. I'm sick of being smashed in the ruck.
Totally agree. Clearances are even more important now due to 6-6-6 rule & we’re terrible.

O'Brien shows what's required to nurture a ruck to AFL level quality. Picked at #9 in the 2014 draft and only now finally at a competitive AFL level. It's taken 5 years for a #9 pick. That's why I'm not sold on rookie picks like Chol ever making it to that level particularly in today's game Just too large a mountain to climb.

Interesting to note that Soldo has been named to play in the VFL team on Saturday at 11.00am. So just 1.5 days after apparently being unavailable to play in the AFL team due to a "virus", Soldo is apparently expected to be fit and ready to play. Just seems pretty odd. One of those 24 hour viruses maybe?. Perhaps the RFC coaches actually dropped Soldo for the Adelaide game but didn't want to get the club fined by the AFL for not having a "genuine" reason for bringing in an emergency.

Like quite a few others, I was glad for Chol to be given a go at senior level. Thought he showed some encouraging signs with raw talent and athleticism but that he still has a long way to go for consistency of effort, 2nd/3rd efforts and stamina. Some of the ruck contests he was competitive but with other ruck contests he was particularly uncompetitive and/or caught out of position.

Hopefully they give him another go for the St Kilda game, at least as a 2nd tall forward and back up ruckman.

tigerlove said:
O'Brien shows what's required to nurture a ruck to AFL level quality. Picked at #9 in the 2014 draft and only now finally at a competitive AFL level. It's taken 5 years for a #9 pick. That's why I'm not sold on rookie picks like Chol ever making it to that level particularly in today's game Just too large a mountain to climb.

O'Brien was taken at #9 in the 2015 Rookie Draft (held in December 2014) so he is a rookie like Chol and looks likely to make it at AFL level. Not sure what point you are actually making.

For the sake of the argument that was his debut last night.
Forget r23 - 2016, it was just giving him a trial in a dead game.

For his debut game I thought it was encouraging.
What a leap!!

TigerPort said:
O'Brien was taken at #9 in the 2015 Rookie Draft (held in December 2014) so he is a rookie like Chol and looks likely to make it at AFL level. Not sure what point you are actually making.

Actually you're right, my error. Guess that makes my point defunct. Amazing growth by O'Reilly for a rookie drafted ruckman. Chol drafted 1 year later. I can't see Chol being anywhere near that level in 12 months time. O Reilly had a staggering 22 hit outs to advantage from 54 hitouts, Chol had 1 from 13. 19 disposals, 6 clearances, 7 tackles, 59 pressure points to O'Reilly, 8 disposals, 0 clearances, 2 tackles, 22 pressure points to Chol. It was as a significant drubbing as you can get. O'Brien did play more game time but maybe also indicates he has a bigger tank. I just can't see a ruck future for Chol. Not good enough in that role at VFL level and definitely not good enough at AFL level.

tigerlove said:
Actually you're right, my error. Guess that makes my point defunct. Amazing growth by O'Reilly for a rookie drafted ruckman. Chol drafted 1 year later. I can't see Chol being anywhere near that level in 12 months time. O Reilly had a staggering 22 hit outs to advantage from 54 hitouts, Chol had 1 from 13. 19 disposals, 6 clearances, 7 tackles, 59 pressure points to O'Reilly, 8 disposals, 0 clearances, 2 tackles, 22 pressure points to Chol. It was as a significant drubbing as you can get. O'Brien did play more game time but maybe also indicates he has a bigger tank. I just can't see a ruck future for Chol. Not good enough in that role at VFL level and definitely not good enough at AFL level.

Agree. Not big enough for ruck. Can't see him play any other position

Harry said:
Agree. Not big enough for ruck. Can't see him play any other position
I see both Chol and Balta as being athletic, skilled tall utilities. If that happens, then, with the return of our regular talls, we have more flexibility ... more options ... and an increased capacity to match other sides in the air.

think we shoud use him as a second tall forward and back up ruckman.. over the next few games .. Were lacking hight in the forward line ( and the backline for that matter )

DjJazzyPete said:
think we shoud use him as a second tall forward and back up ruckman.. over the next few games .. Were lacking hight in the forward line ( and the backline for that matter )

I agree but isn't that how we've been using Balta prior to Astbury's injury?

Can't use both Balta and Chol in that role and although Balta has struggled last few weeks (especially in defence) he looks to have a better tank.

Reckon Soldo will come back in after the Bye and Chol will go back to the VFL to continue work on his endurance... which has always been a weakness/criticism.

jb03 said:
Wasn't awful but he game is being over rated a tad

i reckon he showed why we kept him on the list, while also showing why he only got a game when Soldo pulled out.

Showed why we normally play ruckman.
Was a non event in the centre square and easily manhandled and moved off it around the ground. Is not ready for the AFL

What I saw tracked pretty well with what I've heard from the Tiger Talk podcast. He seems to decide early that he isn't going to compete and just stops. Ty Vickery-like at times. That's a harsh call on his debut but that was what I saw. I wouldn't reward that if I was RFC.

KnightersRevenge said:
What I saw tracked pretty well with what I've heard from the Tiger Talk podcast. He seems to decide early that he isn't going to compete and just stops. Ty Vickery-like at times. That's a harsh call on his debut but that was what I saw. I wouldn't reward that if I was RFC.

That's him in a nutshell at VFL level too. A game a couple of weeks ago when he wasn't getting much ball he often appeared to just not try. I believe he may be mentally fragile and likely doesn't have the required tank either.

Was happy to see Cholly get a game n hope he gets another game or two after the bye, at the very least it will give him a better understanding of the levels he needs to reach and maintain if he wants to be an AFL player.
That young O'Reilly bloke is playing well enough this year to keep Sauce Jacobs playing magoos footy so it's not surprising he schooled both Cholly n Balta as neither player would seriously be considered as a first ruck. Both are more developing hybrid type footballers, can play a bit of ruck, maybe some mid n could slot in as key forwards or backs without having played enough to actually stake a claim in any position.