Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

When he bounds out of the centre and laces up a fwd it is a sight to behold.
Has all the tools and some. Just needs the hunger now.

Reactions: 6 users
Huh? Over?

had some great moments today at great times.
Yeh almost his best game for the club. Shows some real AFL traits. Personally thought they overdid it bringing in he and Balta but they were both important. Both are not lumberers. Choi shows some real poise with the ball too. If he gets some consistency he can really build an AFL career.

Reactions: 2 users
Has put on a bit of arm muscle which will help him and if he can ruck against opposition second rucks he’ll go okay.
His ball skills are excellent and his tackling good too.

Reactions: 1 user
The most switched on game he has played. Looks absolute silk with ball and game in front. Needs to take control in the air more. Will it come? Prob not.

Huge plus. Plays the next month. Chol and Balta make us explosive and unpredictable in a way we haven’t had.

Clubs would bite your arm off to have these two athletic freaks running around.

Reactions: 10 users
Was pretty much non existent forward. Zero disposals in 1st quarter. His best work was when he was in the ruck, did some exciting things we know he's capable of, problem is I can't see him as a our first ruck so needs to be influential elsewhere. Will get more opportunities as a rest of injuries. Let's see how he progresses.

Reactions: 2 users
Was pretty much non existent forward. Zero disposals in 1st quarter. His best work was when he was in the ruck, did some exciting things we know he's capable of, problem is I can't see him as a our first ruck so needs to be influential elsewhere. Will get more opportunities as a rest of injuries. Let's see how he progresses.

Exactly. So for mine he rucks with Soldo and maybe off a wing???

Hate him to be wasted forward where he seems lost with Jack & Lynch down there or not being useful sitting on the bench and having someone like KMac ruck....

He is wasted forward because of structure and running patterns. We dont kick to the #3 fwd.
Off the wing he wouldnt have the run or nous to get in the right spots

Love Mabs in the team. He might be laconic (and can look lazy) but he always seems involved. Good tackler and even better kick.

Deserves a run of games now

Reactions: 1 users
In the ruck was good.
A number of clearances. Ground ball pickups. Just needs to add some Nank-esque tackling.
And positioning to take part in out attack and in scoring chains was top notch. Did Gawn deliver inside 50 when running through the centre square or choose to sit out on the wings? Our man was dangerous at times.

Was beaten in the last. Whipped by a taller ruck who is a much better footballer.
Nothing for 12 minutes.
BUT he won the last 3 hitouts of the match, all lovely taps to advantage. Centre clearances.
If he can do that for longer then look out

Seems to go in and out of games. What I really like is the way he will chase the ball after a ruck contest, that is a good sign.

Having a bit more height in today with both Chol and Balta I thought made a big difference, I think we have been playing too short. Always a difficult balance though.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
In his game today, Cholly again manifested what talent, mostly still not fully unleashed, he offers. Firstly, he could be the best kicking big man I have seen since Polly Farmer (going a long way back, I know, google some footage). He passes like Michael Long too - precise, perfectly-spinning drop punts that just lob softly into the target's hands. But kicks 50m very smoothly with the same neat, elegant action too. Never seems to strain for distance.

There was the one he kicked to JR in Q2 that set up his only goal. You need to see the behind-the-goal vision to appreciate it's that perfect kick that directs Jack where to run so he can mark unopposed, a ripper. In the last few AFL games he's got to play, has hardly missed a target or turned the ball over. As well as being a beautiful kick for goal. [He should take more shots but nearly always looks to pass it off to a team-mate].

He tackled well e.g. watch Riolo's goal which came from his tackle- - and was good in the packs, taking strong marks or very nearly, as well as winning contests. When he really jumped at the CBs, he cleared Gawn easily at times and won some good contests although, as to be expected, Gawn was dominant overall.
Also look at how he breaks clear in Q4 - moves so well for a 2m tall - and should have kicked for goal himself, but instead passed it off nicely to JR who got spoilt.

I read this guy as someone with a heap of ability who still just doesn't realise how good he can be. He needs someone to really pump up his tyres and encourage him to go hard at it and back himself a lot more. Belief/confidence can create huge development in people. He might look laconic sometimes because it's easy for a tall to drift out of this very fast game, but I just see him as lacking enough awareness of what he is capable of.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Stunning performance!

Crashed packs and brought the ball down in nearly every contest.

Elite kick and tackling was huge for a big guy.

Type of player that when you look at the stats at the end of the game are surprised at the lack of them for him. Played his role well i thought. Has a nice kick on him & probably would never be a no 1 ruck but great backup/3rd tall forward option. Definitely a positive game from him.

Right, thanks. Don't worry, just saw Cholly and others getting on the bus on RFC twitter feed. He's looking delighted - Qld is his home state, of course.

Personally, I'd love to get up there to 19-23* every day - a little break from another 2 mths of chilly Melbourne winter.

The curator at the MCG won't need to cut the grass this week.
Chol did it for him.
Those 3 passes were grass cutters :clap2

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The two mm perfect low rocket deliveries to Jack were "wow" moments. Really didn't think he had that kind of delivery.