Grand Final 2022 - Cygnets vs the Pussies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2022 - Cygnets vs the Pussies

Who wins the 2022 Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
a good point has been made that this was also the first year that you could watch the game from pubs and clubs so home viewing numbers should be way down.

Felt like the enthusiasm to get out and about was a bit extra after the last couple of years. I was at a party at a friend's place and there was over 100 people present. Last year that was probably 60 TV sets going.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Bias aside, this GF was one sided as ours in 2019 but ours was more exciting through the game and after.

The first quarter was competitive in 2019, after half time would have bored neutrals to tears. This year it was over much quicker.

While I respect the Geelong players, I just don't like a fair number of them. Selwood irritates me because of the shrugging and pleading for free kicks, always find that irritating, what makes it worse is that he has no need to do it, he is a bloody good player. Like Toby Green and Ginnivan, they don't need to be doing this, they can play great footy. I didn't like the comment about deserving a premiership, although I do put that one down to excitement and relief after the game, Selwood would know how nothing is deserved in elite sport, you gotta go out and grab it, they all know this. Silly comment.

While Geelong are lauded for staying near the top for so long, we all know that every club has 1 prize in mind, the premiership. I am yet to see happy smiling faces from teams losing preliminary or grand finals, getting that far is an achievement but they all know they did not achieve what they set out to achieve. While Geelong have been up there, and Scott is lauded as a coach, you can also criticise him for the way he didn't change a game plan that got them close but not to the top for the last 5 years. Look at 2022, they did tweak the way they played and won the flag, could that tweak have worked earlier? Who knows but it is a reasonable question. Plus, they have now won the flag but have a list which will see retirements happen soon so less chance to follow up with more flags.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I went to a friends annual big GF barbie. He's been having it for 25 years, we used to share a house in the early days, late 90s, and started it up. I haven't been since 2016, either been at the game or out of town until this year. Not many people were interested after Q time, and nobody by halfway through the second Q. Never seen so little interest, even during past one sided games. It was a good day, shame about the game.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Terrible game. Swans were totally uncompetitive from the very first minute to the last. At least GWS hung in for a quarter and a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Teams with the name Sydney shouldn't be in AFL Grannys, they keep getting done by more than 80 points :mhihi

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
No, but a howler nontheless

Far North South Melbourne FC made some solid entries today;

- worst Gf by a ruckman ever
- most inconsistent fragile player ever selected half fit for a GF ever
- least conpetitive performance by a side in a gf ever
- supporters with the least pride ever (i had one text me asking if i could get tix!!)

Not saying theyde take the cake,

But theyde be solid entries IMO

It is some consolation for me that 20,000 or so sydneysiders with no decent grasp of football, dropped $5 grand on a very *smile* afternoons entertainment
My partner is Sydney. Since 96 or before
Photo of plugger on the fridge (not me!)
A strong connection.
She,s been to 5 GFs, 4 a loss.

We have friends who journeyed south for the game.
The house is sorrow.

The suggestion that swans fans are all sunny season is false and well out of date.
And rude to their fans.

Plus the AFL is anti Sydney from at least Buddy days. They are a well run club with good supporters.
It's a pity their side played so *smile*

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Terrible game. Swans we’re totally uncompetitive from the very first minute to the last. At least GWS hung in for a quarter and a bit.
Halfway thru the first they were looking good.
Better than 2014. By 10 minutes

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So where to now for Sydney ?

They have some good young kids, but like a number of clubs they have jack *smile* up forward and ruck is a weakness. Buddy and Reid are done. MacDonald is ordinary despite the early hype. Parker is 30 next year.
Super interesting.
Up forward MacDonald Amartey Mackean. Meh .
All of their stars got beat. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Heeney Mills Franklin Papley Lizard McCartin bros. Parker. Rampe. LLloyd .
The young guns were worked over and ended up too scared to try.
Warner and Rowbottom to hold their heads up.
Guys like McInerney Gulden Haywood Florent have a big hill to climb.
Are they us in 2014, on their 2nd finals experience?
At least we had Jack and Alex peaking with the mids

Will be interesting to see how they cope

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
What this showed is that you must have a big defender (or two) that takes intercept marks. Really missed Grimes. Hopefully Gibby steps up next year.
It was one of Sydney's biggest strengths. McCartin bros, Rampe to intercept.
But they got zero today

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Sure they did well to get to GF. But reckon Mc Cartin brothers are way to slow and offer no run out of backline

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
The ratings figures shouldn't be taken entirely on face value.

Guessing after two years of being in lockdown for the grand final, many, many people headed out somewhere, be it a pub or a BBQ at someone's house, hence less individual TV sets tuning in.

And of course it was never going to be a patch on last year's ratings... interstate match, two Victorian teams, lockdown and Melbourne snapping a long drought.

Lazy media will do their thing though and write off the day grand final as a failure.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Hugo wins the sprint. Highlight of the day
Yes, but defeat of previously undefeated Brions by our AFLW Tiger girls, at PRO no less, by a few points was clearly ... Match of the Day!

[Apologies if someone already posted - still working my way through this thread; got too bored with yesterday's supposed GF].

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Gee...... the more I hear Jeremy Cameron. .... talk about Jeremy Cameron. ..... the more I reckon GWS woulda been happy with a couple of 2nd rounders to get..... Jeremy Cameron down to hicksville. Talk about painful!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
My partner is Sydney. Since 96 or before
Photo of plugger on the fridge (not me!)
A strong connection.
She,s been to 5 GFs, 4 a loss.

We have friends who journeyed south for the game.
The house is sorrow.

The suggestion that swans fans are all sunny season is false and well out of date.
And rude to their fans.

Plus the AFL is anti Sydney from at least Buddy days. They are a well run club with good supporters.
It's a pity their side played so *smile*

Of course thats a valid POV TD, though i dont really buy the anti-sydney bit. buddy has had carte blanche to belt little blokes for a decade.

My perspective is living in far northern sydney for 20 years, while swans played finals and tigers didnt.

Thankfully my hatred of geelong displaced my teeth grinding bile surge whenever i heard

'Go swannies'