GRIGG to Geelong | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GRIGG to Geelong

Like Dimma said when asked about Blake joining bombers yeah copy the game plan, need the talent tho and attitude.

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously I expect the only relevant Intel that Grigg would pass onto the Cats is how we saw them, how we arranged ourselves to beat them, what we thought their strengths and weaknesses were.

As for how we play, opposition teams get to study and analyse that every week. They don't need to employ one of our past players for that.

Reactions: 5 users
Not happy that Grigg has gone to Geelong and according to the HS today is giving up all our success secrets to them.

If he was at another interstate team I would not care that much but of all teams he had to go to the cattery.
Hmm didn’t see too much evidence of it vs GC last week , nothing to see here

What a weird thread.

How rude of a thirty one year old bloke to take a job. Especially after he only sacrificed his physical health for us.

I'm fascinated to hear what people think he is bringing to Geelong? I have a vision of him sitting with the Geelong coaching staff saying "Righto boys, all we need is one of the best midfield forwards to play the game, one of the best forwards and backman in the comp and a heap of other good players around them and we are set."

Then he says "I know you've all studied Richmond play, and spent hours analysing everything they do, but here is the secret you have been missing......."

FFS, in our lean years why didn't we just grab an ex player from a good team?
The point is it would've been better if it wasn't Geelong given our current rivalry with them.

Much love for Grigga but he won't turn the Cats into something they ain't. Wish him all the best.

As Dimma has often said, we would like to be as successful as Geelong have been over the last decade or two. Yes, they probably should have won more flags in that time but claiming that Geelong have a rubbish culture is probably pushing it too far.

I agree with everything said about Chris Scott (did I get the right Scott?) and I don't think he is good for their culture, but that is a personal opinion, and I've never met the salty prick ;)

I suspect that Geelong's culture could do with a refresh, lots of old players and a psycho coach, and that, Grigg may help them with, but it is a marginal gain.

I have no worries about any of this. Everybody knows how Richmond have been operating and they are all seeing the results. All the other teams will have been looking at this and trying to work out which bits would suit them and give them an advantage. But none of this would be news to any of them and implementing a cultural change is a bloody difficult thing to do. Anyway, who's to say the culture at Richmond would work at another club? They need to sort their own way forward and will have far more chance of succeeding if they do.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be looking forward to Grigga's rolling the eyes in the background of the coaches box everytime Pricky throws a tanty.

Maybe he’ll be dropping the ping pong balls into Salty’s mouth.
Hate to see where they come out.

Reactions: 1 user
FFS, in our lean years why didn't we just grab an ex player from a good team?

Not players, but for coaches I think we've got people from almost all successful clubs of the past 20 years:

Hardwick who won 3 premierships in 9 years (Essendon, Port, Hawthorn) at 3 different clubs as player and assistant coach.
Leppitsch won 3 flags (Brisbane)
Caracella several at two clubs (Essendon, Brisbane) as a player then assistant coach at Geelong.
Chocco as a premiership coach (Port Adelaide)
The other Hawthorn assistants we took from Clarko.
And as a player, Ben Cousins from West Coast 2005 was around to model training standards for our young elite players.

Excluding Sydney (?) and arguably Collingwood (if they count and if Balme doesn't) our current senior team has been influenced by leaders from literally every successful club of the past 20 years I think.

I don't think Grigg's influence at Geelong will be the difference between us winning the flag or not though.

Geelong has a very good culture off the field. Scott is probably not the real face of the club. Their weakness is not enough effort put into the bottom 15-20 players to bring them up to scratch.

Geelong has a very good culture off the field. Scott is probably not the real face of the club. Their weakness is not enough effort put into the bottom 15-20 players to bring them up to scratch.

Take alook at their 1999 and 2001 Draft Selections:
Pretty much nailed those two years and set them up for a great run of success.

National 8 Joel Corey 276
National 15 David Spriggs 64
National 17 Ezra Bray 0
National 23 Daniel Foster 17
National 31 Paul Chapman 251
National 38 Cameron Ling 246
National 47 Corey Enright 332

National 8 Jimmy Bartel 305
National 17 James Kelly 273
National 23 Charlie Gardiner 51
National 24 Steve Johnson 253
National 40 Gary Ablett F Geelong 235
National 41 Henry Playfair 52
National 69 Matthew McCarthy 22
National 81 David Johnson 79

National 17 Ezra Bray 0

That is a farking amazing return from two drafts. Fifteen players and eight of them play 250 games ( I'm fudging fanta pants as he got close enough ). Only one genuine miss n a couple of fudgers.

That is a farking amazing return from two drafts. Fifteen players and eight of them play 250 games ( I'm fudging fanta pants as he got close enough ). Only one genuine miss n a couple of fudgers.

To me that says that development is as important as drafting. And once you have a good core of developed talent, more grows around it.

You can see similar with our rookies and PSD selections.

Might as well add the other years.

Year 2000
National 44 Josh Hunt 198
National 71 Daniel Lowther 1
National 79 Hamish Simpson 0

Year 2002
National 7 Andrew Mackie 280
National 23 Tom Lonergan 209
National 36 Tim Callan F 15

2002 was good as well, 3 picks 2 winners.

They iced those years in drafting, and as said before, development was very good.
Also the key is those players are all around the same age.
So they develop and grow together and all hit their peaks around the same time.

Reactions: 1 users
Might as well add the other years.

Year 2000
National 44 Josh Hunt 198
National 71 Daniel Lowther 1
National 79 Hamish Simpson 0

Year 2002
National 7 Andrew Mackie 280
National 23 Tom Lonergan 209
National 36 Tim Callan F 15

2002 was good as well, 3 picks 2 winners.

They iced those years in drafting, and as said before, development was very good.
Also the key is those players are all around the same age.
So they develop and grow together and all hit their peaks around the same time.
Hamish Simpson played 1 game in 2000. A-.

National 17 Ezra Bray 0

Good selections and a great system. Got the best out of nearly all of them.