Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Live outside of Victoria so my question is how much did COVID play in the low crowd?

Marvel appears more crammed in both in seating and exiting the stadium after the game. Also the previous game at the MCG had that guy that tested positive after attending that game and using public transport. Would that have spook a number of potential attendees v GWS?
Along with a few other factors eg. Ticketing, Marvel etc I’ve thought all year long that’s a strong contributor towards low crowd numbers, particularly whilst so few people are vaccinated.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Along with a few other factors eg. Ticketing, Marvel etc I’ve thought all year long that’s a strong contributor towards low crowd numbers, particularly whilst so few people are vaccinated.

Things are pretty normal in Melbourne these days so I am not convinced COVID is a big factor.

The whole 85% crowd capacity when all that means is that they close off 15% or more of the ground is just bulls***.

I reckon the ticketing is the biggest factor. You have to book in advance, you can't leave your zone, all seats are allocated etc. If they could just keep the rule about not leaving your zone but allowing people to just turn up it would help a hell of a lot. You could actually get rid of the staying in your zone anyway given we all come on the same trains, trams etc and all mingle before and after the game.

I don't think the rule changes are popular either, there is a lot of frustration out there about the way the game is being adjudicated, and how it often looks like some other game not Australian Rules.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Things are pretty normal in Melbourne these days so I am not convinced COVID is a big factor.

The whole 85% crowd capacity when all that means is that they close off 15% or more of the ground is just bulls***.

I reckon the ticketing is the biggest factor. You have to book in advance, you can't leave your zone, all seats are allocated etc. If they could just keep the rule about not leaving your zone but allowing people to just turn up it would help a hell of a lot. You could actually get rid of the staying in your zone anyway given we all come on the same trains, trams etc and all mingle before and after the game.

I don't think the rule changes are popular either, there is a lot of frustration out there about the way the game is being adjudicated, and how it often looks like some other game not Australian Rules.

DS
They’re far from normal. The CBD is a ghost town still, trains and trams well below capacity etc. I work for a company that has 4 huge floors in the CBD. We’re running at less than 10% occupancy and our research shows 3 contributors: 1) safety factor on public transport 2) safety factor inside the building and 3) the relative ease of working from home and avoiding items 1) and 2).

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They’re far from normal. The CBD is a ghost town still, trains and trams well below capacity etc. I work for a company that has 4 huge floors in the CBD. We’re running at less than 10% occupancy and our research shows 3 contributors: 1) safety factor on public transport 2) safety factor inside the building and 3) the relative ease of working from home and avoiding items 1) and 2).

Look, things are quieter as lots of people are still working from home, many by choice as far as I can tell. But there is little mask wearing, no attempt to socially distance, people are going off to the shops without a thought, those attending the footy are sitting next to each other and mingling as normal, school is back, unis have students on campus and are looking to ramp it up, traffic is almost back to normal levels. There are a few less people out and about, but once you are out and about it is pretty normal.

DS

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
If you watched the Friday game to see how the rules would be interpreted for the round, I wouldn't blame anyone for staying home. It was putrid and I'm glad even the media mouthpieces gave them a whack.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Look, things are quieter as lots of people are still working from home, many by choice as far as I can tell. But there is little mask wearing, no attempt to socially distance, people are going off to the shops without a thought, those attending the footy are sitting next to each other and mingling as normal, school is back, unis have students on campus and are looking to ramp it up, traffic is almost back to normal levels. There are a few less people out and about, but once you are out and about it is pretty normal.

DS
Nah. There's still a weird vibe. There's still a bunch of requirements that give that off e.g. you still have to wear masks on public transport, QR codes, hand sanitisers everywhere, signs everywhere, processes for this and that, one news item after the other including outbreaks. I still see people walking down the street with masks on every day. It all conducts together to not give a psychological state of "normal." Maybe in the country but not in Melbourne. Nowhere near so.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I reckon he has had a really good month,.
He has back the kids for MMAing at a night club.
He has told the AFL how fken shiit that little *smile* ant ground is.
All he needs to do now to get another 5 year extension is unleash on those dirty rotten corrupt weasels we get every single week.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I reckon he has had a really good month,.
He has back the kids for MMAing at a night club.
He has told the AFL how fken shiit that little *smile* ant ground is.
All he needs to do now to get another 5 year extension is unleash on those dirty rotten corrupt weasels we get every single week.
Basically said up yours afl.I wish he had a rant like Ratten on umpiring even through nothing come out of that.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Basically said up yours afl.I wish he had a rant like Ratten on umpiring even through nothing come out of that.
Seriously how many times does he have see a kid (Mansel) get hit in the head for no free kick??.i its a fken joke

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes I agree. The umpiring bias against us a prime example.

Put it this way, I think Dimma and the crazy gang spend very little time worrying about the umpires in the overall scheme of things, but hey, knock yourselves out.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I think Gale and Hardwick would both regret going public in hindsight. If nothing else, they should be trying to sell the venue to the fans from a business point of view.
Gale's comments were obviously based on low bookings up to Friday.

Hardwick's comments were surprising, and a little out of line. The club isn't happy with the AFL and this was a little of it leaking out. I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know all the ways they're screwing us.

Where is the result of the Rioli investigation after the AFL publicly cast doubt on the Richmond version of events? Pack of *smile*.

Reactions: 3 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Seriously how many times does he have see a kid (Mansel) get hit in the head for no free kick??.i its a fken joke
bakes was another one
gets hit in the head , then grabbed around the neck/over the shoulder, still nothing
then the GWS player pushes him in the back and falls ontop of bakes back
result ?
holding the ball against bakes
they let 3 free kicks go then award holding the ball against bakes
seriously its the worst umpiring

Last edited:

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
If Bakes wore hoops around his top - white, blue, red in any order he would be getting a free every 5 minutes for all the high tackles he gets - just ask Selwood or any small doggies player for that matter.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure if you are aware of this or not but the AFL investigate every off-field issue, whether or not they make the media.

As for the AFL publicly casting doubt on our version, this is a bit like the call that Steve Hocking basically called us cheats the other day (which still hasn't been substantiated), where did that actually happen?
They were always going to investigate it once Rioli declined to take it further with police.

My point is that they started investigating Collingwood's bum-poking and made an announcement within 24 hours. My guess is they found diddly that contradicted our story on Rioli/Bolton and won't bother to publicly clear us of wrongdoing.

AFL ‘sceptical’ of Tigers’ tale as witness adds new twist on fight