Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We need more footballers who can hit a target. Too many with ropey disposal. The effort is there, the much required precision is not.

I was always worried that the new rules might expose this a bit.

We are number 1 in the league for clangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Dimma’s post-match was reassuring. He’s on top of it.

Melbourne’s defensive structures were too good for us, and ours didn’t hold up. New challenge. Players and coaches will be looking for answers that they currently don’t have. It’s up to everyone to brainstorm and find a way.

We’re probably not in the box seat to win the premiership yet, but we weren’t in the box seat early in the season in previous years either, and we do have a great group of people who are problem-solvers. Things can change quickly, but it’s not guaranteed. With less coaching support, perhaps more answers will need to come directly from the playing group.

The coach is doing an excellent job at wasting no time IMO. A majority of other coaches make basic excuses and show bias in this situation all the time, but Dimma was first class and that attitude will speed up their learning.

We also lost 2 goals by not sharing it:

1. Lynch 40m on the boundary with time, Aarts free over the top 20m out in space

2. George 40m out under pressure, with Shai free in space closer to goal

Selflessness builds confidence, brings others into the game, and fosters team morale. It’s been a key feature of ours in 3 premierships. Gotta persist with it IMO
Those aren't relevant to the argument. When under pressure or someone in better position don't take a hard shot. It's when players are in range, in space that look for a pass or handball that is not really improving the shot position that costs us.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Those aren't relevant to the argument. When under pressure or someone in better position don't take a hard shot. It's when players are in range, in space that look for a pass or handball that is not really improving the shot position that costs us.

I think what you’re suggesting adds complexity to a high pressure snap decision.

Gotta keep it simple or it won’t happen at all IMO.

On a fast breakaway, if you see a free teammate in a better position - pass it 100% of the time. Team rule, don’t waste 1 second thinking about it. Just pull the trigger.

If players are encouraged to take the shot themselves after weighing up how much pressure themselves and their teammate is under, I’d expect the end result to be what happens at every other club: players will blaze away themselves because it’s the easier, faster decision to make under pressure. So my heavy support of sharing the ball assumes it’s kind of an all-or-nothing thing.

When we get a fast mark inside 50, you‘ll notice teammates put their arms up to stop him from sharing the ball. That’s an example of teammates making the decision for them. Simplifies and speeds up the decision, where the default is to share. It’s a great system, but probably only works if it’s automatic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I wouldn't worry about disposal efficiency and forward 50 entries and being exposed by the new rules.

Melbourne simply out worked us around the ground - had extras at the drop of the ball everywhere.

It's as simple as that. Dimma will be all over this. His number 1 rule is more jumpers in the screen and that didn't happen Saturday night.

Don't think we need to make any major changes to the way we play. It's won us 3 flags in 4 years. It's just gonna get tighter and become more of a slog as the season goes on and even more so in finals. Can the Dees maintain this form throughout the season is the big question? Even the Dogs? We know the Tigers can. Where are the Swans at now? Things can turn very quickly so I wouldn't be throwing out our flag winning formula baby with the bathwater just yet.

Reactions: 8 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I wouldn't worry about disposal efficiency and forward 50 entries and being exposed by the new rules.

Melbourne simply out worked us around the ground - had extras at the drop of the ball everywhere.

It's as simple as that. Dimma will be all over this. His number 1 rule is more jumpers in the screen and that didn't happen Saturday night.

Don't think we need to make any major changes to the way we play. It's won us 3 flags in 4 years. It's just gonna get tighter and become more of a slog as the season goes on and even more so in finals. Can the Dees maintain this form throughout the season is the big question? Even the Dogs? We know the Tigers can. Where are the Swans at now? Things can turn very quickly so I wouldn't be throwing out our flag winning formula baby with the bathwater just yet.
Great post.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

This was clearly evident on the night. It was like Melbourne had an extra 8 players on the ground. Everywhere the ball was in dispute they outnumbered us; all over the ground. That is work rate; Melbourne players worked, ours didn't. It was a very un Richmond like performance.

Dimma was not happy at the presser. He was still measured but you could tell he was not happy. I reckon that lack of work rate had a lot do with his unhappiness.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
This was clearly evident on the night. It was like Melbourne had an extra 8 players on the ground. Everywhere the ball was in dispute they outnumbered us; all over the ground. That is work rate; Melbourne players worked, ours didn't. It was a very un Richmond like performance.

Dimma was not happy at the presser. He was still measured but you could tell he was not happy. I reckon that lack of work rate had a lot do with his unhappiness.
Agree, getting beat by a side that plays better never really worries Dimma.

Getting beat by a side with effort would infuriate Dimma. Reckon some home truths will get told.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Things are never as bad or as good as they seem. After the St Kilda match we were planning the 3 peat celebrations. Now it seems we need to start a rebuild.

Ultimately if we get our best side on the park in the 2nd half of the year we will have a great shot at it. We will need a bit of luck but if we get it I wouldn't want to be supporting any other side.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

For the first time he also wasnt very glowing of the opposition. Yes he did usual they played good etc but not the over the top praise he has given in the past when we have lost.

This loss hurt him.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
For the first time he also wasnt very glowing of the opposition. Yes he did usual they played good etc but not the over the top praise he has given in the past when we have lost.

This loss hurt him.
Very good observation Smoking. I did think that myself but forgot to mention it. He was respectful of the Dees and how he played but it was far from the praise that he generally lavishes on the opposition after a loss. You could tell that he thought Melbourne played well but how poorly we played was the major contributor to why we lost. This is in contrast to how he reacted after the Port loss a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The most interesting thing I thought from his presser was that he acknowledged again that our forward movement was all wrong. Referred to having enough chances to post a winning score (more inside 50's) but couldn't kick goals, referred to playing too "straight".

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The most interesting thing I thought from his presser was that he acknowledged again that our forward movement was all wrong. Referred to having enough chances to post a winning score (more inside 50's) but couldn't kick goals, referred to playing too "straight".
Having Dusty and Lambert injured contributed to us having a lack of forwards in the air and at the drop of the ball. Dusty is the third marking option who demands one or 2 defenders and Lambert is another forward crumber who applies pressure.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The other thing that was interesting from his press conference was that he was less than positive about RCD getting a game, I thought. Seemed very cool to the notion.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
34 points wasn't a big loss when you consider two of our prime movers were missing for much of the game with injury.
Perhaps that's where Dimma's frustrations were stemming from? Injures are starting to mount & we're light on for replacements given the poor showing of those in the VFL.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

100% Hazza

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Agree, getting beat by a side that plays better never really worries Dimma.

Getting beat by a side with effort would infuriate Dimma. Reckon some home truths will get told.
Has Rioli stopped writing those notes on his wrist bandage...run & chase? Or he doesn't look at them now? But he wasn't Robinson Crusoe in that area. When are we going to see Lynch take a high mark? He's tall enough so can't he jump?

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Beavis appears to be very set in his ways on the field.

(Off the field he has certainly shown a propensity to change things up.... :)))
So back on the field before I get myself barred.

He seems to pidgeon hole players into categories.
Eg Ross appears to continually be in sub mode.
He needs as many have stated here more game time to see if he is up to it.
Can we have someone else as a sub for a change eg Caddyshack?

Each week early in the week younger players get talked up as being close to a call up eg Hugo, Cujo, RCD, Naishy etc then selection comes around and there aren't many changes.
Playing Marly in the ruck V the hipster beard was just dumb. And yes he jumped over him once and left him for dead.
However long term this will not work.
Marly needs to be wing and wing alone. So he can run and tackle and hurt the oppo.
Cujo needs a look in. This will save Nank as well.
Aartsy has had a good run. Get the feeling coach likes him.
Add to that George and Dan as well.
Again this could be the pidgeon hole theory of mine.

And don't get me started on Tom. Lost his mojo completely.

Yes, Beavis has been great in taking us to Utopia, Nirvana, Top of the jungle, whatever you want to call it.
He doesn't make too many changes either at selection or during the game IMHO.
I think he should change things up a bit.
On field!:))

Your thoughts.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Agree.
The non manning up of Salem and Hunt was crazy.
Dimma is stubborn and has been successful but needs to be more flexible mid game.
Playing Chol last year at seasons end was crazy when it was obvious he was not up to it.
Non selection of Broad.
But it's hard to criticise him with such a good record.
The game has changed and we look stuck in last years mould.
I note Storm who won last year are not having horrible form and bad losses....so why are we. They are too professional to put in stinkers.
Hope I am completely wrong.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Agree.
The non manning up of Salem and Hunt was crazy.
Dimma is stubborn and has been successful but needs to be more flexible mid game.
Playing Chol last year at seasons end was crazy when it was obvious he was not up to it.
Non selection of Broad.
But it's hard to criticise him with such a good record.
The game has changed and we look stuck in last years mould.
I note Storm who won last year are not having horrible form and bad losses....so why are we. They are too professional to put in stinkers.
Hope I am completely wrong.
Have you seen our form line over the last 4 years.
This year we are more advanced then 2017, 2019 & 2020.
The only time we were dominating in April was in 2018 and we all know what happened.
After the bye, we will be driving at full speed not now.
*smile* Melbourne and Footscary the team will 5 Smurfs as defenders